open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because "two" is "one and one." We forget that we have still to make a study of "and." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: devilinlaw)

Labeling winners and nominees?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

lampak
Posted 2009-10-11 3:04 AM (#1715)
Subject: Labeling winners and nominees?

Now when you've begun to add books which haven't got any award it's not always clear, which are the most notable one. I like this site mostly because it helps choosing a book to read. But now good books get slowly overwhelmed by average ones. Wouldn't it be possible to for example mark winners with an icon of a gold cup and nominees with a silver one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-10-11 10:41 AM (#1717 - in reply to #1715)
Subject: Re: Labeling winners and nominees?

Admin

Yeah, search results are bringing back all books not just award nominated ones and we're displaying all books on the author and publisher pages as well. We've been talking about adding those icons for some time and now's a great time. I'll get something in there with the next release which is hopefully in a few days. I've got the icons ready, just need a bit of code and some CSS to overlay them on the book covers.

Thanks for the reminder!
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-26 6:16 PM (#1829 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

Hi

I second this request. When going to an authors page it shows all the books for that author but there is no indication of which books have won anything so as lampak says the award ones are indistinguishable from the non award ones. I use the author pages quite frequently and it would be great to be able to easily see the books with awards and possibly if they are included in one of the featured lists.

Not sure how you would implement this, obviously it needs to be small, perhaps icons similar to those under "Share the Love" with a unique one for each award and different colours for winners vs nominees. Another idea would be to make a 1x10 grid with each position corresponding to an award and then different colours for for winners vs nominees and white for nothing. A similar grid or icons set could be used for lists excpet it would be a boolean rather than 3 state.

Edited by htaccess 2010-03-26 6:17 PM
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-28 11:01 PM (#1831 - in reply to #1829)

Admin

Yeah, this has moved up the list quite a bit recently. I'm having the same problem when I go looking for books too and we've got so many more books now that it's a giant pain in the backside. I don't remember what prevented us from getting this one done all those months ago but it's back on our radar now. whargoul is on vacation so there won't be any movement on this until he gets back next week so give us 2 weeks then give us the business if we don't get it out there.

We're going to have a single icon, probably a small trophy, in the top right corner of the covers that when you mouse over the icon it will reveal all the award information for that book. Had not thought of putting the list info in there too but that sounds pretty cool. We'll start with the award info first and see how that works out.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-07 11:02 PM (#1838 - in reply to #1831)

Admin

Here's a look at what we'll be adding to the cover pics:

htaccess
Posted 2010-04-08 1:05 AM (#1839 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

Looks good, will it be a different colour for winners vs. nominees say, yellow, white?
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-08 8:20 AM (#1840 - in reply to #1839)

Admin

No, it's just going to be the one image.  Can't do different colors or different symbols, like I had originally wanted, because a lot of the books are multiple nominees.  Look at The City and the City:

2009 BSFA Winner
2009 Nebula Nominated
2010 Clarke Nominated
2010 Hugo Nominated

I suppose we could have multiple colors that represent different combinations of noms and wins etc. but that seems a bit too complex and would likely require a legend or something.  We're going to try the overlib which will reveal the list of noms and wins anyway so those details will be just a hover away.  Hopefully that won't slow the page load too much.  If it does we'll leave off the overlib and you'll have to click through to see the details.  At least you'll be able to spot the noms amongst the lists on the author, publisher and search results etc.

htaccess
Posted 2010-04-08 7:10 PM (#1841 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

I was thinking more along the lines of yellow if it won _any_ award, white if it was nominated for _any_ award, so eg city and the city would be yellow. not that it matters much, this feature is going to be useful regardless.
htaccess
Posted 2011-10-19 6:52 PM (#2728 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

Nice to see this implemented
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-19 7:46 PM (#2729 - in reply to #2728)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-10-19 6:52 PM Nice to see this implemented

Ah, you found the thread I was looking for!  So it took a little longer than expected but it's pretty cool, right?  I think this is one of our better updates as it really tells you a lot at a glance.  In case you didn't see it I go into some of the ways you can use in in the blog.  Whargoul has already added the icons to the series list too so we're getting closer to total implementation.

risbom
Posted 2011-10-20 4:25 PM (#2731 - in reply to #1715)

Regular

Well, I hope I am in right thread.
New feature with award count and list count on book covers is really great, I like it very much. But it's not working in same way in IE9. There is only icon in IE9, like example above, for total award nominations with nominations count in tooltip. I also have Chrome browser, and here it is working with two numbers in book cover, like described. Can we hope for IE9 fix? Can we hope for this feature in My Lists in My profile?

Administrator
Posted 2011-10-20 5:19 PM (#2732 - in reply to #2731)

Admin

risbom - 2011-10-20 4:25 PM Well, I hope I am in right thread. New feature with award count and list count on book covers is really great, I like it very much. But it's not working in same way in IE9. There is only icon in IE9, like example above, for total award nominations with nominations count in tooltip. I also have Chrome browser, and here it is working with two numbers in book cover, like described. Can we hope for IE9 fix? Can we hope for this feature in My Lists in My profile?

Hey Risbon, you are in the right thread.  Glad you like the new feature!

I think what you are looking at is an old version of the page.  Try clearing your cache and refreshing the page.  You're not getting the updated CSS.  Let me know how it goes.

We're about to launch the updates for the Book Lists section right now.  Next will be the lists in My World!  Stand by for that one.  I'll post here when it's up.

Administrator
Posted 2011-10-20 5:32 PM (#2733 - in reply to #2732)

Admin

OK, the Book Lists are done now!  Check 'em out.
htaccess
Posted 2011-10-20 5:39 PM (#2734 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

Cool!

Now how about a new list that totals the two numbers and shows the 100 books with the top scores?
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-20 5:50 PM (#2735 - in reply to #2734)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-10-20 5:39 PM Cool! Now how about a new list that totals the two numbers and shows the 100 books with the top scores?

Well, we've already got the WWEnd Top Nominated Books list but I see what you're after.  Hmmmm.

How would we weight the award noms vs. the list inclusions?  Would a book with a 7/1 score be the same as one with a 4/4?  The totals are the same but the first has 7 award noms vs. 4 for book 2.  How should we sort those?  Or a 7/2 vs. 2/7?  If we count the lists as equal in prestige to the awards we're OK, though we'll still have to determine a sort order, but is everyone comfortable with that?  That's like saying the NPR list is just as relevant/prestigious/important to the genre as the Campbell award.

htaccess
Posted 2011-10-20 8:37 PM (#2738 - in reply to #1715)

Veteran

Interesting question, for simplicity I would say just add the two numbers and be done with it.

That said, I am currently compiling my own meta list of lists where I do very much score differently based on my perceived quality of the list or award, so I certainly do have an opinion.
risbom
Posted 2011-10-21 11:46 AM (#2740 - in reply to #1715)

Regular

Hi, I checked IE9 - it works perfectly now. Thanks.
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-21 1:36 PM (#2741 - in reply to #2740)

Admin

risbom - 2011-10-21 11:46 AM Hi, I checked IE9 - it works perfectly now. Thanks.

Glad to hear it!

We've just updated the list in My World.  Check it out.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)