open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Sun Explodes, Footage at 11
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Off TopicMessage format

Wintermute
Posted 2011-06-14 9:50 PM (#2464)
Subject: Sun Explodes, Footage at 11

Read a couple of stories at Space.com, both about the sun. The first one shows a video of a volcano-like explosion on the surface of the sun that then comes crashing back down into the sun. Looks quite impressive.
http://www.space.com/11893-huge-sun-eruption-spectacular-solar-flar...

The second story concerns several recent studies that conclude the Sun's spots are becoming infrequent, only unusually so. There is some talk that we may be entering a second Maunder Minimum. "In fact, some scientists are questioning whether this drop in activity could lead to a second Maunder Minimum, which was a 70-year period from 1645 to 1715 when the sun showed virtually no sunspots." Whatever plans you had for the next few decades, you better update them.
http://www.space.com/11960-fading-sunspots-slower-solar-activity-so...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-06-26 11:53 PM (#2478 - in reply to #2464)
Subject: RE: Sun Explodes, Footage at 11

Admin

Wintermute, I finally got around to checking out these articles.  The flare video is really awesome!  Such an amazing display of power and energy.  Surprising it does not affect us unduly.

The sunspots bit is a trip too.  I remember when the spots disappeared a few years back.  Apparently we have survived these minimums before so I won't be panicking just yet.  Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)