open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more old drunks than there are old doctors." ― Willie Nelson
- (Added by: Acknud)

Outside the Norm Reading Forum
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-18 2:37 PM (#3399)
Subject: Outside the Norm Reading Forum

Uber User

Thoughts about Outside the Norm Forum

In the comments to my last Outside the Norm blog, Emil proposed an Outside the Norm online class. I countered with the idea of an Outside the Norm forum/discussion group.

I’ve been thinking about it for a couple of days, and I think that we could do something really cool in the WWE Forum if we all read (or re-read) and discussed the same book.  This could work like a physical book club, except for the wine and the cheese on sticks.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

All who want to participate could nominate a book that they feel is outside the F and SF norm (see below for notes on this) and the members could vote on a dozen books or so. (Maybe Dave could set up a poll like the ones for the GMRC reviews). The person who nominated the book would be responsible for leading the discussion on that book, since we will assume that he or she has read it before.  We could reserve 2 weeks to read the book and two weeks to discuss; then we could move on to the next one. We could probably work up a list of the first dozen books by the end of July and be reading book 1 by August.

When I decided to do the Outside the Norm blog, I wanted to read not just female SF writers (although that was an important part of it). I was also interested in reading non-US, non-UK writers. The following writers were on my list: Nnedi Okorafor, Nalo Hopkinson, Hannu Rajaniemi, Doris Lessing, Ben Okri, Bharati Mukherjee, and Karen Lord. So far, I’ve only managed to read a couple of these authors. I started with a couple of Margaret Atwood books that I’d had for a while. That experience made me think more about the question of genre. So, I branched out a bit in my thinking and have written about novels that many readers would call capital “L” literature. I think they offer the same reading experiences as the best F and SF. These are the types of issues that I’d like to explore/discuss.

So… who’s in? What do you think about the plan?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-19 7:33 AM (#3405 - in reply to #3399)
Subject: Re: Outside the Norm Reading Forum

Uber User

It sounds interesting. I like to read outside the genre, but quite often read only just outside the genre (for instance, some of Iain Banks' non-SF is still fantastic).

Where I might struggle is with committing the time to read. There is always a lot I want to read, and I'm always going to be in the middle of something else. I'd be willing to give it a try, though.

Edited by DrNefario 2012-06-19 7:34 AM
Administrator
Posted 2012-06-19 9:50 PM (#3414 - in reply to #3399)
Subject: RE: Outside the Norm Reading Forum

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2012-06-18 2:37 PM ... This could work like a physical book club, except for the wine and the cheese on sticks.

Blessed are the cheese makers. 

(Maybe Dave could set up a poll like the ones for the GMRC reviews).

I'd be very glad to help in any way I can.

So… who’s in? What do you think about the plan?

I don't think I'll be able to commit to taking part unfortunately.  I'm way behind in my GMRC and we're trying to get a bunch of stuff done on the site for WorldCon so I'm not getting much reading done as it is.  I think it's a great idea though and would love to participate if I could.

Anybody else?

Emil
Posted 2012-06-20 2:45 AM (#3417 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

Yeh, I'll do it. Time is the major constraint, considering all the various reading projects at hand. A second challenge for me might be the availability of books. It might take a few weeks for a book to arrive, and often the kindle edition isn't available in my region. Nonetheless, I'm in!
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-20 5:18 AM (#3419 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

Rhonda, a group read sounds like a great idea if we can pull it off.  Like DrNefario, I always have a big stack of stuff I'm reading, so the lead time you suggest works well for me.

There are so many, many possibilities!!

It's hard to limit my nominations, but I'll try.  Two favorites of mine are Albanian literary heavyweight Ismail Kadare's Palace of Dreams (1981, 208 pages), a Kafkaesque story of a bureaucratic functionary working to sort and analyze the dreams of the citizens of a totalitarian state, and Canadian-American Rivka Galchen's (daughter of Israeli emigrants) much ballyhooed Atmospheric Disturbances (2008, 256 pages), which is about a psychiatrist who's wife has been replaced by a near-perfect doppelganger while at the same time he's been receiving coded messages from a secretive organization about weather control.  Is he insane, or just what's going on here?

A couple of books that I haven't read, but would like to are Dutch author's Cees Nooteboom's (another literary heavyweight) The Following Story (1991, 115 pages), a story about a man who wakes up dislocated in time and space, while Russian Ludmilla Petrushevskaya's There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby:  Scary Fairy Tales (2009, 224 pages) is fairly self explanatory.

A handful of other names:  Angela Carter, Vladimir Nabokov, Mikhail Bulgakov, Italo Calvino, Jose Saramago, Kobo Abe, Jorge Borges, Victor Pelevin, Hilary Mantel, Alfred Jarry, Raymond Queneau, Edith Wharton, Felipe Alfau, Osamu Dazai, Julio Cortazar, Naguib Mahfouz, Arturo Perez-Reverte, Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz, Witold Gombrowicz, Roberto Bolano, Michal Ajvaz, Toni Morrison, Joyce Carol Oates, David Mitchell, Cormac McCarthy, Haruki Murakami, David Foster Wallace, Don DeLillo, Robert Coover, Isabel Allende, Scarlett Thomas, Wendy Walker, Junot Diaz, Brooks Hansen, Stephen Fry, Bruno Schulz, Kathy Acker, as well as more genre-centric names such as Kelly Link, Stanislaw Lem, Mark Z. Danielewski, Margo Lanagan, Catherynne M. Valente, Jean-Christophe Valtat.  Well, as you can see, I could go on and on and on... 

Quality fantasy and science fiction needn't rely on swords and spaceships...

Administrator
Posted 2012-06-20 7:57 AM (#3420 - in reply to #3419)

Admin

@Engelbrecht: That's a huge list!  I was going to say that the Guardian List on the site would be a good source of books for this reading group.  Many of those are certainly Outside the Norm and the list includes several of the authors you mention,  If you pick from the list you can tag them as you go too.

Guardian: The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-20 9:59 AM (#3421 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@Emil, Engelbrecht and Dave, I like the Guardian list idea for a start. There are several books on the list that I'd like to read and this could make the choosing procedure easier. The main point here is to generate conversations about books. If this goes well, then we could take a bit more time to build an International list with the authors that Engelbrecht mentioned and the Icelandic author that Charlesdee mentioned in the blog comments.

So maybe the folks that are interested could nominate a list of 5 to 10 books from the Guardian list and we could start building a list of books that most of us have not read already from there.
Here's my shortlist (modified somewhat to accommodate some books that Engelbrecht has not read!)
Auster In the Country of Last Things
Bugakov The Master and the Margarita (I think this is the only one that Engelbrecht has read)
Lessing Memoirs of a Survivor
Laski The Victorian Chaise-Longue
Walser Institute Benjamenta (Jakob von Gunten)
Warner Lolly Willowes
Okri The Famished Road
Moorcook Mother London
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-21 12:48 AM (#3424 - in reply to #3399)

Elite Veteran

Sorry I cant take part.I have no less 78 books in all genres on my TBR pile for challenges/group reads on Shelfari for the rest of this year.I am just starting back in SF after a 20 year break,and its going to take years to just catch up on the award books.Not too keen on the literary fiction side anyway,but I will try to follow the posts and contribute if possible.
I was wondering why you dont have a general ''what are you reading this month'' sort of thread.It always generates a bit chat,as other readers of the book can give a quick comment without feeling intimidated by erudite discussions of books they havent read.Such a thread pretty much runs itself(Dave, and the rest of his great team , do NOT need more work ! lol)
To make the site more friendly you need a sort of general thread,named ''Rantamania'' or ''The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly'' or the like,just for general comments,random thoughts,annoying things you have come across,questions,recommendations and the like.People who would hesitate on setting up a whole new thread for one trivial comment are much more likely to participate that way.This site is absolutely fantastic on the factual side,I never cease to be amazed by the sheer amount of work that has gone into it,but it could sure be more user friendly.
Emil
Posted 2012-06-21 2:12 AM (#3426 - in reply to #3424)

Uber User

@Rhondak101 I think for now I'll follow yours and @Engelbrecht's lead and adjust my reading to what you suggest. I would like to read a little more Russian sf, though.

@Dusty I don't mind the literary sf at all. In fact, these are the ones that tend to become my favorites. Your idea about a "What are you reading now" is a good one. I list what I'm reading in Booktracker, and than often think, Hell what now. Does anybody else care? Do they even take a look

I think what I'm missing from my sf foray since 2010 is a little more engagement with other readers. WWEnd has given me a lot of it, but it would be really nice if we could get this forum even more active. (Come to think of it, without WWEnd, my SF reading would probably remained in a 20 year hiatus )
Emil
Posted 2012-06-22 1:56 AM (#3449 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

I came across Michael Cisco. Quite a few people have mentioned him among a list of brilliant authors, but who are lesser known. At some point he won the International Horror Guild Award. Horror, but of the literary kind
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-22 5:18 AM (#3452 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@Rhonda & Dave:  The Guardian list sounds like a fine great place to start.  Any of the books that Rhonda mentioned are fine with me - I'm easy!  The Bulgakov would be fine as well, if we wanted to do a Russian book for Emil.  It's a great book!  A few more list that I might add from the Guardian are:
Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Blindness by Jose Saramago

@dustydigger:  How in the world did you ever leave SF for 20 years?!    I've had my own absences here and there over the years, but nothing like that.  BTW, welcome, and thanks for your "reading this month" idea - I'll be posting there soon.

@Emil:  I like Cisco - his The Divinity Student (1988) was excellent, but for some reason I liked his The Traitor (2007) less well.  I keep meaning to read more of his work, but just haven't gotten around to it.  For Russian SF, I can't recommend Victor Pelevin highly enough.  Some "Russianesque" books I've recently enjoyed that you might like are Heart of Iron and The Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia, Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente, and Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-22 6:47 AM (#3453 - in reply to #3399)

Elite Veteran

I know zilch about Russian Sf,apart from Solaris,which was far too long for me,and of course the Strugatskys' Roadside Picnic.In fantasy I have read the Night Watch sequence,but that was vampires,urban fantasy.Do I see lips curling? lol
I lived in Uganda under the tyranny of Idi Amin throughout the 70's,no libraries or bookshops.On return I was like a kid in a sweetshop,all the books in the libraries were new to me.Crime novels were my favourite genre,and I would return from the library panting under a massive pile of books.It was great! However,I found it much more difficult in the SF area.I was unfamiliar with the scene,and was disconcerted by the sheer amount of fantasy on the library shelves.What little SF there was either very hard,or Piers Anthony and Star Trek! lol.Tried Stephen Donaldson,almost lost the will to live..Slowly I built up a few favourite authors,Cherryh,Bujold,,Le Guin.but all the old guard I had enjoyed,the Grand Master,had disappeared from the shelves of my little library-only six shelves of books! Then in the 90s I got into Urban Fantasy (yes Eric,lots of vampires,many of them a little bit sparkly! ) It was only this year that I decided to branch out in my reading,and I am participating in a challenge,where I have to read 12 books from each of 12 different genres,and found myself really enjoying the SF thread.By pure chance found this site,and loved it.Next year,after fulfilling all my present challenges,I will be able to read more in this genre-but must confess,not a lot of the heavy or literary stuff,I like pure fluff and riproaring adventure all the way.Got to admit ,I am starting with the earliest Hugos.Could be 5 years before I get up to todays stuff!
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-22 10:31 AM (#3458 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@ Engelbrecht and Emil
Im certainly up to read some Russians. Ive wanted to read Yevgeny Zamyatins We for a while. I think that Engelbrecht has read it (therefore, I left it off the list.) Emil, you dont have it marked. Have you read it?

I suggest that we start with 6 books. (If we can start in July, that takes us to December, and we can decide if we want to continue, or formalize, maybe more readers will join after other book challenges are completed.)
So:
July: A novel by Pelevin that Engelbrect and Emil decide upon. I have not read any, so Im good with anything you both pick
August: Ben Okri, The Famished Road
September: Saramago, Blindness
October: Bulgakov, The Master and the Margarita
November: Lessing, Memoirs of a Survivor
December: Carter, Nights at the Circus

Do you want to make any substitutions? I cool with it if you do. Anyone else want to play?

Rhonda
Emil
Posted 2012-06-22 11:17 AM (#3459 - in reply to #3458)

Uber User

@Engelbrecht @Rhonda I haven't read We" and always wanted to. It keeps popping up on lists. So, this could be one option, but Engelbrecht has read it already. I've never come across Pelevin, but it does look a mouthwatering proposition. Maybe we can start with his first, "Om on Ra"?

http://www.amazon.com/Om-Ra-Victor-Pelevin/dp/0374225923/ref=sr_1_3...

At least it has an English translation.

It seems I'll be able to get some of the rest locally, and the remainder simply through Amazon and/or Kindle - I'm hopeful that the dollar does not gain too much on the South African rand

6 is a good start and going until December does allow me the time to obtain and read them all. And even we don't discuss them, it's a good list to read anyways!

(Now to convince @Dave to add the chosen ones to WWEnd!)
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-22 1:36 PM (#3463 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

I've been meaning to read We for a while, too. It's included in Wildside's uber-anthology Sense of Wonder, but is possibly abridged.

I think the Bulgakov is out of copyright, although translations might not be.

Edited by DrNefario 2012-06-22 1:38 PM
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-06-22 6:54 PM (#3465 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

Lately I've been focusing more on "core" SF and fantasy, after not reading much of it since the '80s, when my tastes became more "literary" [square quotes!]. So I have read quite a few of the authors mentioned here pretty recently: I'm a huge Murakami fan, for example, and I went through a Lessing phase at one point. (I read Memoirs of a Survivor, but honestly can't remember it right now, so would be glad to look at it again, and I'd be curious how you all react to Shikasta.) I've also read lots of DeLillo and Lethem (who I don't think has been mentioned yet), but you're steering clear of the English-speaking white guys, I believe. It's hard to resist this discussion group, so I'd like to give it a shot. Rhonda's six selections look interesting. I'm unfamiliar with the first two (finding new things would be part of the point of doing something like this), but the other four are on my "long list" to read at some point. I'd also like to read "We" someday, and "Herland" is currently on my shortlist to read for the fantasy blog. If it works out for the long haul, I'd also be very interested in trying Calvino, Lem, Shirley Jackson, Gwyneth Jones, and Atwood. Joanna Russ, Samuel Delany, and Le Guin are all favorites (and along with Dusty, I'm a big C. J. Cherryh fan!).

@Engelbrecht: I've read most of Edith Wharton's work. I love Edith Wharton. But... Edith Wharton?
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-22 7:26 PM (#3468 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@Scott. Thanks for checking in. I want to read almost everyone you mentioned including the white guys I'm also wanting to read more Auster. i loved his New York Trilogy and Leviathan has been on my TBR pile for more than a year. I have Murakami on my mental TBR list. I keep bumping into him. When I started this blog series I planned to read more of the mothers of SF: Le Guin, Tiptree, Russ, Wilhelm and then move to Butler and Delany, but I took a detour somewhere/how. I think reading books that I already owned or were available at my college library sent me in different directions. I went through a Calvino phase in the late 80s, early 90s. I think I read almost all his books translated into English. I don't think I could find a couple of them. I think Invisible Cities is one of the most beautiful texts I've ever written. I try to reread it every few years.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-22 7:29 PM (#3469 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

I didn't edit enough. *read not written.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-26 4:32 AM (#3491 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

Rhonda,  your list sounds great!  I wouldn't mind rereading We - it's been decades since I read it.  Oman Ra is a terrific novel.  I hope we all really enjoy it.

I've read some Calvino and liked it, and have recently decided to read more.  My excellent local library has one of his books waiting for me.  Stanislaw Lem is fantastic!  I've read almost twenty of his books and have two of his on my very short favorites list (BTW, Lem is Polish, not Russian).  I've read Lessing's Briefing for A Descent into Hell and liked it, but never got around to the Shikasta series.

@Scott  Yes, Edith Wharton:The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton 

@dustydigger:  Uganda sounds like a terrifying experience - no wonder you're drawn to the lighter side of genre?  Have you read Barbara Hambly or Spider Robinson's Callahan books?  Fluffy and fun!  Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw might work for you as well, as might Nina Kiriki Hoffman or Walter Moers or Martha Wells.

Emil
Posted 2012-06-26 5:35 AM (#3492 - in reply to #3491)

Uber User

Thanks @Engelbrecht, I think I'll read "We" and "Oman Ra" and "The Divinity Student" anyways. I'm a little ahead on the GMRC so I'll have the time to sneak in something else. If I can let go of Darkover for a while - I'm fully entrenched in the series
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-06-26 7:39 AM (#3496 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

Okay, I like this. "Oman Ra" for July and "We" for November or December? We can add Lem to the possible for later list.

@Engelbrecht, The Ghost Stories of Edith Warton sounds very cool. I'd love to hear a review of that one.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-28 3:15 AM (#3508 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@ Rhonda, sounds good!  Um, just what does "July" mean?     Time flies when you're having fun, and I see that July is already just around the corner...

I haven't read Wharton's ghost stories, but they're on my list...

@Emil,  The Divinity Student is a perfect quickie read - only 149 pages!

What is it about the Darkover books that has you ensnared?  I've never read any of them, having been put off by both the length of the series and the fact that I was underwhelmed by Bradley's "masterpiece", The Mists of Avalon.

Emil
Posted 2012-06-28 5:06 AM (#3510 - in reply to #3508)

Uber User

@Engelbrecht I can't really place it. It's just fun, in a non-literary way. Adventurous. It may be the psychological elements that captured me, or just the fact that I'm reading outside the scope of my usual preference, hard-sf, and come to enjoy the escape science-fantasy provides. The Darkover world is technology poor but rich in its ability to harness the psi powers of the human brain, such as telepathy and telekinesis. Bradley's re-imagination of gender roles and ignorance of gender stereotypes is also quite appealing. All these are interesting subjects to a Jung(ian)

Of course, such a vast canon cannot consistently deliver quality, so I do experience moments of horrid romantic melodrama, but this is generally overshadowed by the depth of the Darkover culture, typically medieval, and the physic powers are really well-described and defined. It's a planetary romance, so it may not be to everyone's taste.

I believe a television series is in the making, or sanctioned.

All in all just fun and I take it at face-value. (I won't read the books not written by MZB, or those written "with xyz."
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-28 5:46 AM (#3511 - in reply to #3399)

Uber User

@Emil, How far have you gotten in the series?  For some reason, when you described Darkover, Norton's Witch Worlds books came to mind, even though it doesn't sound like there are too many parallels.

I won't read the books not written by MZB, or those written "with xyz."

I hate those kind of books!  They're right up there with the "In the tradition of xyz" books.  Usually horrible, LCD fare, at least from what little I've read! 

dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-28 6:03 AM (#3512 - in reply to #3399)

Elite Veteran

Its not so common in SF,but its rife in other genresThere was a romance writer,Virginia Andrews,who started writing collaborations with Andrew Niederman as V.C.Andrews.She died in 1988,but books are still being churned out under the V C Andrews name! About 60 altogether.Talk about cynical ripoff-and tacky,very tacky.
In the crime genre James Patterson is notorious for his ''collaberations''Apparently he does a plot outline,and his ''collaborator'' does the actual writing.And the books,with James Patterson written in huge letters sell millions of copies.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)