open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: An equation is a prophecy that always comes true. - Catherynne M. Valente (The Boy Who Lost Fairyland)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

WoGF Reading Challenge Q & A
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2013-04-18 10:25 PM (#4960 - in reply to #4958)
Subject: RE: WoGF Reading Challenge Q & A
Quote Reply

Admin

Hey Trish, welcome to WWEnd and the WoGF!  We do have a page with all the women author on it.  Look at the main menu under Authors for the All Women Authors link.  You go to that page to pick your 12 authors for the challenge.  You can pick them all at once or pick them as you go.  Then you go to the WoGF page, look for the banner in the menu and in the footer, to see your author lineup and books.  When you tag a challenge author's book as "reading" it will replace the author pick in the list with the book cover in black and white.  When you tag the book as "read" and check the "Apply towards my WoGF" it will turn the cover to color to indicate you've completed it.  Don't forget to write your reviews too!  That's the most challenging part for most folks.  Enjoy!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
crwilley
Posted 2013-04-25 8:32 AM (#4988 - in reply to #4427)
Subject: Re: WoGF Reading Challenge Q & A
Quote Reply

There's one author I'd like to select - I haven't read any of her long fiction, but I've read a short story in an anthology. May I pick this author, or should I find someone totally new?
Administrator
Posted 2013-04-25 9:01 AM (#4989 - in reply to #4988)
Quote Reply

Admin

crwilley - 2013-04-25 8:32 AM There's one author I'd like to select - I haven't read any of her long fiction, but I've read a short story in an anthology. May I pick this author, or should I find someone totally new?

Hi Cathy, and welcome to WWEnd!  I don't think a short story should disqualify an author from your challenge so you're good to go.  A collection of shorts would do it but that author is still essentially new to you so go for it.  Who is the author?

crwilley
Posted 2013-04-25 9:37 AM (#4990 - in reply to #4989)
Quote Reply

Diana Gabaldon. The "Outlander" series looked a little more like romance than SF or fantasy to me - all well and good but not my thing. I read a story set in that universe in an anthology a couple years ago, figured I should maybe give the series a chance after all, and never got around to it...
rgatton
Posted 2013-05-14 9:23 PM (#5059 - in reply to #4427)
Quote Reply

New User

Silly noob question: How do I apply a book towards WOGF? The checkbox for that is disabled everywhere I look.
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-14 9:42 PM (#5060 - in reply to #5059)
Quote Reply

Admin

rgatton - 2013-05-14 9:23 PM Silly noob question: How do I apply a book towards WOGF? The checkbox for that is disabled everywhere I look.

Hello rgatton, welcome to WWEnd!  Not to worry, we'll help you get it worked out.

The first step to joining the challenge is to select some authors from the All Women Authors list.  You don't have to select all 12 right away and you can change them anytime before you tag one of their books for the challenge.  Just check the box under the author's pic.  You don't have to submit.  When you refresh the page all your selected authors will rise to the top of the list so you won't have to hunt them down later.  Once you select an author, her books will be available to apply to your challenge.  To select a book by one you your authors just go to that novel page, tag it as read and check the Apply towards my WoGF.

Give it a go and let me know if you run into any trouble.

rgatton
Posted 2013-05-14 10:08 PM (#5061 - in reply to #5060)
Quote Reply

New User

OK, thanks. It's the "tagging it as read" that I wasn't getting. I thought I could add it to the challenge as "to read".
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-14 10:15 PM (#5062 - in reply to #5061)
Quote Reply

Admin

rgatton - 2013-05-14 10:08 PM OK, thanks. It's the "tagging it as read" that I wasn't getting. I thought I could add it to the challenge as "to read".

If you tag a book as "Reading", and it's written by one of your WoGF authors, it will show on the WoGF page in place of the author's pic.  The book cover will be faded out until you go back and change your tag to "Read" and check the WoGF box.  That's how you track the specific books you're going to read for the challenge.

bstittle
Posted 2013-05-21 1:37 PM (#5084 - in reply to #4427)
Quote Reply

You said you would be adding more women authors if you get enough requests. How do I request the addition of a woman author? She happens to be my daughter and has published a horror book (zombie genre) through a publisher. Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-21 7:01 PM (#5089 - in reply to #5084)
Quote Reply

Admin

bstittle - 2013-05-21 1:37 PM You said you would be adding more women authors if you get enough requests. How do I request the addition of a woman author? She happens to be my daughter and has published a horror book (zombie genre) through a publisher. Thanks!

Make your request over in the request thread and we'll put her on the list. Pretty simple   It's a long list though so don't expect it right away.  We'll get to it eventually.

bstittle
Posted 2013-05-21 9:54 PM (#5093 - in reply to #5089)
Quote Reply

Thank you! That WAS easy
MontanaSky
Posted 2013-05-24 10:47 AM (#5112 - in reply to #4427)
Quote Reply

Is there an official way to indicate which of our authors is our random author?
metalorchid
Posted 2013-05-30 3:34 PM (#5152 - in reply to #4427)
Quote Reply

New User

So I only hopped into the challenge in May, having seen the promo for it from you guys on Twitter. (Although I clearly made a good starting push because a review of mine is already on the blog - thank you!) I couldn't find an answer to how the whole "must read 12 books" rule works for those who start late? Do we just read 12 books, and submit those reviews, but we still get only a limited number of months in which we qualify for drawing for featured review? Thank you for an awesome challenge! I'm starting on Nalo Hopkinson next.
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-30 8:58 PM (#5155 - in reply to #5093)
Quote Reply

Admin

bstittle - 2013-05-21 9:54 PM Thank you! That WAS easy

You are very welcome!

MontanaSky - 2013-05-24 10:47 AM Is there an official way to indicate which of our authors is our random author?

Nothing official but please do tell us in the reviews!  It's interesting to see how the random selections work out for people.  Pleasantly surprised?  We hope so.   Terribly disappointed?  Better luck next time.    That rule was to get people to read outside of the authors they recognize.  Let's get some more women's names into the conversation plus how cool would it be to roll the dice and maybe come out with a new favorite author?  It has worked for a couple reviewers so far.

metalorchid - 2013-05-30 3:34 PM So I only hopped into the challenge in May, having seen the promo for it from you guys on Twitter. (Although I clearly made a good starting push because a review of mine is already on the blog - thank you!) I couldn't find an answer to how the whole "must read 12 books" rule works for those who start late? Do we just read 12 books, and submit those reviews, but we still get only a limited number of months in which we qualify for drawing for featured review? Thank you for an awesome challenge! I'm starting on Nalo Hopkinson next.

Thank YOU for the fine review!  As for reading all 12 for the latecomers: we purposefully chose 12 as a doable number by most people with families and jobs etc. and we felt that with only 12 books the people finding the challenge later in the year could still have a chance to catch up if they read at a slightly faster pace.  2 books a month is a bit steep for some while there are those folks, whom the rest of us envy, that scoff at a 12 book challenge.  You coming to the party late just means you have to party a little harder than the first folks in if you want to reach the official tally of 12/12/12.

Having said that, reading is supposed to be a pleasure (if it's not you're doing it wrong) so if you don't think you can make it all the way no problem.  Jump in and read however many you want.  Use that 12 as a spur to read more if you like the added challenge of the short time frame (think of the bragging rights!) or just ignore the numbers and read some great books and tell us what you thought (no use in stressing over it).  Participation is it's own reward in this challenge.

On the review side, you can still submit 12 reviews and all of your reviews will be eligible for selection for the poll but only 1 review per member per month can be selected.  We put on the limit to try and keep the playing field level for everyone - pokey slow readers like me and Evelyn Wood graduates too.

I'm glad you like the challenge and you did start off very well - keep up the good work!  Nalo Hopkinson is a popular author in this challenge, I look forward to your next review.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)