open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
- (Added by: Administrator)

Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2013-02-27 12:17 PM (#4772 - in reply to #4769)
Subject: Re: Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
Quote Reply

Admin

Well, let's all cop a squat and roundly drek on the honest efforts of a handful of fans, and their growing community of followers, to build a site that celebrates genre fiction.  Forget that this is a spare time hobby and that we're making a massive effort to improve the site in regards to equal coverage of women authors.  Forget that we initiated a reading challenge with the expressed intent to shed light on that inequality and to engage our members in a constructive effort to promote ALL women authors.  Forget that we've committed ourselves to adding any missing authors or books that our members request to our database in addition to our usual author and book updates.  Forget that we're on pace to have well over 500 quality reviews of books by women authors for the challenge alone.

Clearly we're just a bunch of assholes trying to keep Janny Wurts down.  How dare we not have every frelling book by every frelling author in our database!

My, oh, my.  There's a lot of anger in that thread and some of it is affecting me.  I'm going to go chill for a bit then I'll mosey on over to Library Thing and pose a few questions to our detractors.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dr.graynicks
Posted 2013-02-27 12:35 PM (#4773 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Thanks for adding the Gemma Doyle stuff for Libba Bray. Given how extensive this forum is with numerous requests, I'm impressed with how quickly you're updating things.

I hate when people complain (and not even to the people who might make a difference) rather than trying to be part of the solution. It looks like someone explained the reasons that her umpteen books and those of others aren't all listed, but I don't see it completely sinking in in any practical way on that end.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-27 12:49 PM (#4774 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

@Dave
I didn't mean to stir things up by my post. I was hoping to promote the challenge as part of a general discussion on women and genre fiction. I think the initiative is great. I think Wurtz's anger is more a reaction to the state of genre publishing. I don't think she realises that the effort is ongoing to include women's authors and that this enhancement to the site only started two months ago.
I'm sure if you communicate with her, if she sees it in that light, she will chill out herself and having authors on your side can only be a plus for the site.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-02-27 1:38 PM (#4775 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm afraid to look at that thread! I was actually wondering if something like this might happen at some point, since the issue of gender in SF has been fraught for a long time, and discussions often seem to devolve into making assumptions about the motives of others in the conversation. You never know when you might unintentionally step into something. I made a comment on an SF Signal post a few days back expressing some disappointment about how the Nebula nominees have been trending more toward fantasy and away from SF over the years (a factual observation), and someone soon added a snarky comment about how the novel nominees were "girly" this year, which then led to a huge pile-on against SF fans who don't like women writers (!). (The criticism of the gender-biased comments was deserved, but I thought it was interesting that an SF vs. F discussion morphed almost immediately into male writers/fans vs. female writers/fans, when there's no necessary connection between those two dichotomies.) There are very important issues surrounding gender bias in SFF and publishing, but unfortunately the internet, which could be (and sometimes is) a chance to educate people about such issues, also lends itself to the proliferation of knee-jerk responses and judgments.

But, hey, don't they say that any publicity is good publicity?!
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-27 2:09 PM (#4776 - in reply to #4775)
Quote Reply

Admin

Thanks everyone for the support.  I guess some people don't get it.  Hell, I thought we were doing something pretty cool with this challenge.  Or I should say that our members were.  We just set up the situation and you guys and gals have been killing it with the reviews and the blog posts and the book requests etc.  Ya'll have taken it to a whole new level.

It seems a bit silly to take us to task for not having every book and every female author there is but I guess it's easier to neg when you don't know the whole story than to try and support somebody else's effort in the same direction.  I think we're all in this together, no?

Well, while all the snark was going on over on LT we were busy adding more women authors and books:

Evangeline Walton
Mabinogi
- Prince of Annwn
- The Children of Llyr
- The Song of Rhiannon
- The Island of the Mighty: aka The Virgin and the Swine

Libba Bray
Gemma Doyle
- A Great and Terrible Beauty
- Rebel Angels
- The Sweet Far Thing

Liz Jensen
The Uninvited

Cassandra Rose Clarke
Ananna and Naji
- The Assassin's Curse
- The Pirate's Wish
The Mad Scientist's Daughter

Jane Gaskell
Atlan Saga
- The Serpent
- Atlan
- The City
- Some Summer Lands
Strange Evil
King's Daughter

Margo Lanagan
The Brides of Rollrock Island
Black Juice
Red Spikes

Molly Gloss
Outside the Gates
The Dazzle of Day
Wild Life

Jessica Amanda Salmonson
Tomoe Gozen
- Tomoe Gozen
- The Golden Naginata
- Thousand Shrine Warrior

Leigh Bardugo
The Grisha
- Shadow and Bone

dihenydd
Posted 2013-02-28 12:17 PM (#4778 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

I have just started reading Clutch by J. A. Hutch any chance this could be added next time you update please.

I found a whole slew of women authors I didn't know of from a Women Authors in Science Fiction List on Goodreads btw.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-28 12:42 PM (#4779 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

@Dave Excellent post on LT!
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-28 1:44 PM (#4780 - in reply to #4779)
Quote Reply

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2013-02-28 12:42 PM @Dave Excellent post on LT!

Thanks, justifiedsinner.  I had to step back and chill for a bit before I was ready to reply.  She responded back with a very nice post so we're all good now.  Gender issues are mostly an academic excercise for a guy like me.  I recognize that they exist and I try to do my part to help when I can but I'm not living them like Wurts has for her whole career.  That's gotta take a toll.

Administrator
Posted 2013-02-28 3:55 PM (#4785 - in reply to #4780)
Quote Reply

Admin

While we're at it, here are some more books and authors....

Sanders Anne Laubenthal
Excalibur

Gini Koch
Alien Series
- Touched by an Alien
- Alien Tango
- Alien in the Family
- Alien Proliferation
- Alien Diplomacy
- Alien vs. Alien

Celia Jerome
Willow Tate
- Trolls in the Hamptons
- Night Mares in the Hamptons
- Fire Works in the Hamptons
- Life Guards in the Hamptons
- Sand Witches in the Hamptons

Jenn Bennett
Arcadia Bell
- Kindling the Moon
- Summoning the Night
- Binding the Shadows

bstanley52
Posted 2013-02-28 7:56 PM (#4787 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Woohoo! Thanks for the add. Looking forward to reading these!
KaraAyako
Posted 2013-03-03 8:39 PM (#4795 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

First, thank you for everything you've done for making this challenge possible. I'm learning a lot about female authors, and I'm picking up books that I wouldn't have otherwise. This challenge is great.

Could you please add Wen Spencer to your database? She wrote the Elfhome series: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/26546.Wen_Spencer

Thank you!
Stevenmlong
Posted 2013-03-04 11:08 AM (#4798 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Can you add Emma Newman to the list (http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/emma-newman/). Thanks!
Kata
Posted 2013-03-04 11:47 AM (#4799 - in reply to #4467)
Subject: RE: Women of Genre Fiction
Quote Reply

I just picked up A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. Can I count this toward the Challenge? I notice that Brennan is on the list.
Thanks,
gallyangel
Posted 2013-03-06 3:04 PM (#4801 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read Madeleine L'Engle's A wrinkle in time for this month's book. You have it listed as the first of four books. I've discovered it's a quintet instead of quartet. Wrinkle in Time, Wind in the Door, Swiftly Titling Planet, Many Waters, and the fifth is An Acceptable Time. If you'd of asked me a year ago, I would've thought the thing was a trilogy.
Administrator
Posted 2013-03-07 9:47 PM (#4806 - in reply to #4801)
Quote Reply

Admin

Hey, look!  Books!

Janny Wurts
Wars of Light and Shadow
Arc I
- Curse of the Mistwraith
Arc II
- Ships of Merior
- Warhost of Vastmark
Arc III - Alliance of Light
- Fugitive Prince
- Grand Conspiracy
- Peril's Gate
- Traitor's Knot
- Stormed Fortress
Arc IV - Sword of the Canon
- Initiate's Trial
Cycle of Fire Trilogy
- Stormwarden
- Keeper of the Keys
- Shadowfane
Sorcerer's Legacy
Master of Whitestorm
That Way Lies Camelot
To Ride Hell's Chasm

Trudi Canavan
Age of the Five
- Priestess of the White
- Last of the Wilds
- Voice of the Gods
Black Magician Trilogy
- The Magicians' Guild
- The Novice
- The High Lord
Traitor Spy Trilogy
- The Ambassador's Mission
- The Rogue
- The Traitor Queen
The Magician's Apprentice

bstanley52 - 2013-02-28 7:56 PM Woohoo! Thanks for the add. Looking forward to reading these!

Happy to oblige!

KaraAyako - 2013-03-03 8:39 PM First, thank you for everything you've done for making this challenge possible. I'm learning a lot about female authors, and I'm picking up books that I wouldn't have otherwise. This challenge is great. Could you please add Wen Spencer to your database? She wrote the Elfhome series: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/26546.Wen_Spencer Thank you!

You are most welcome and thanks for the feedback!  It's great to hear that it's working like we hoped it would.  I've added Wen Spencer to my to do list.

Stevenmlong - 2013-03-04 11:08 AM Can you add Emma Newman to the list (http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/emma-newman/). Thanks!

No problem.  Emma Newman is on the to do list.

Kata - 2013-03-04 11:47 AM I just picked up A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. Can I count this toward the Challenge? I notice that Brennan is on the list. Thanks,

A Natural History of Dragons is getting some great press lately.  That cover is pretty sweet.  How's the book so far?  I'll add it to my list so you can tag it and let us all know how it turns out.

gallyangel - 2013-03-06 3:04 PM I read Madeleine L'Engle's A wrinkle in time for this month's book. You have it listed as the first of four books. I've discovered it's a quintet instead of quartet. Wrinkle in Time, Wind in the Door, Swiftly Titling Planet, Many Waters, and the fifth is An Acceptable Time. If you'd of asked me a year ago, I would've thought the thing was a trilogy.

Right you are, gallyangel!  There is some confusion on this one out on the interwebs but Wikipedia and the L'Engle website say it's book five so I'll get that one added soon.  I hate an incomplete series.  Trilogies have a funny way of growing past 3 volumes even years later.

Happy reading everyone!

Rhondak101
Posted 2013-03-08 2:07 PM (#4808 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Could you please add Cinder by Marissa Meyer and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer? Thanks.
gallyangel
Posted 2013-03-08 3:08 PM (#4810 - in reply to #4806)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Right you are, gallyangel! There is some confusion on this one out on the interwebs but Wikipedia and the L'Engle website say it's book five so I'll get that one added soon. I hate an incomplete series. Trilogies have a funny way of growing past 3 volumes even years later.

Kind of like Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing is book six of the Hitchhiker trilogy.
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-08 4:38 PM (#4811 - in reply to #4810)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

@ Rhonda - I loved Marissa Meyer's Cinder,a nice example of well written YA where romance is not at the centre of everything.Waiting impatiently for Scarlett to come out here in UK.We are often months behind US publication dates,and then waiting for the library to get it,and then wait my turn on the waiting list.....(sigh) I'll get it eventually.But second books can be tricky,I hope it is up to scratch.
Aarrgghh.Just checked,there is ONE copy among 39 libraries,so it may be quite a while before I get it! lol
Kata
Posted 2013-03-09 11:47 AM (#4813 - in reply to #4806)
Quote Reply

I stayed up until 2 in the morning to finish A Natural History of Dragons. it is a beautiful story about a young woman following a passion.
knobren
Posted 2013-03-11 3:04 AM (#4820 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

If you find some time, I'd love to see more books from Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, as well as her Alpha and Omega series. I have all of those books. I just finished her newest book, Frost Burned, and I loved it. :-)
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-11 5:07 PM (#4825 - in reply to #4820)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

@ knobren.I know,it annoyed me to see only one Mercy Thompson book listed,and it wasnt even the first in series! :0(.Frost Burned isnt out yet in my area,so I just have to wait (im)patiently till my library gets it.Perhaps by then the other books will be listed! lol
cmbellerive
Posted 2013-03-14 9:40 AM (#4839 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

I have a review of "Hidden City" by Michelle Sagara West ready to go whenever you get a chance to add her! (Mainly, because I had just picked up the book when I discovered this challenge, so I figured I'd keep going and make it my first read...) In the meantime, on to a new woman of genre fiction! Whee.

Michelle Sagara West series:

House Wars (The Hidden City, City of Night, House Name, Skirmish, Battle)
Sun Sword (The Broken Crown, The Uncrowned King ,The Shining Court, Sea of Sorrows, The Riven Shield, The Sun Sword)
The Sundered (Into the Dark Lands, Children of the Blood, Lady of Mercy, Chains of Darkness Chains of Light)
Hunter's Oath/Hunter's Death
KaraAyako
Posted 2013-03-14 9:57 AM (#4840 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

I have a random question. Normally, when I click "read" on a book written by a female author, I have the option of clicking the box to apply it to the WoGF challenge. When I click on Robin Hobb's books, this doesn't seem to be happening: https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=1150

Could you please look into this or let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!
Administrator
Posted 2013-03-14 12:00 PM (#4843 - in reply to #4840)
Quote Reply

Admin

KaraAyako - 2013-03-14 9:57 AM I have a random question. Normally, when I click "read" on a book written by a female author, I have the option of clicking the box to apply it to the WoGF challenge. When I click on Robin Hobb's books, this doesn't seem to be happening: https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=1150 Could you please look into this or let me know what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

Hi Kara, welcome to WWEnd and the WoGF!  You can't add Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm books because you've already got 12 authors picked for your challenge.  That check box is disabled for authors not on your list.  You'll have to un-pick someone else then add her to your list to re-activate the checkbox.

KaraAyako
Posted 2013-03-14 12:34 PM (#4845 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Gotcha. Thank you!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Frozen New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread