open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Even though they had no interest in the way humans measured time or how the planets affected their actions, the robots knew Mercury retrograde was a point of crisis for them, inaugurating a period of voluptuous activity, one that would grow more and more intense as the days grew shorter. - Kathryn Davis (Duplex)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Wastrel
Posted 2013-01-25 3:01 PM (#4618 - in reply to #4467)
Subject: RE: Women of Genre Fiction
Quote Reply

New User

Margo Lanagan: you have Tender Morsels, but you don't have The Brides of Rollrock Island (an expansion of a WFA-winning novella). Surprisingly, you also don't have her double-WFA-winning collection, Black Juice. Her collection Red Spikes was also WFA-nominated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SarahPi
Posted 2013-01-25 9:11 PM (#4622 - in reply to #4467)
Subject: Re: Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
Quote Reply

New User

Hi there,
Some of N.K. Jemisin's works are listed, but could you add The Killing Moon? Thanks!
Zoori
Posted 2013-01-27 7:51 AM (#4630 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

First of all, this list is a great idea!

I was surprised not to find P. C. Hodgell - God Stalk trilogy, as suggested by Engelbrecht. She is one of the jewels yet to be discovered for some and appreciated by many fantasy lovers.
Thanks.
controuble
Posted 2013-01-30 8:24 AM (#4648 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Veteran

P.N. Elrod appears to be missing from the Women's list, too - she wrote the Jack Fleming, vampire detective books.
oddrid
Posted 2013-02-01 2:17 PM (#4662 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Hi! New user here. This challenge is what spurred me to make an account!

May I suggest adding Jane Gaskell? Here is a list of her books on Goodreads. China Miville posted a quote from one of her novels on his blog today and piqued my interest in her writing. I would add Strange Evil and her Atlan series books (I'd love to read the first one, The Serpent, for this challenge).

Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-02 10:36 AM (#4665 - in reply to #4613)
Quote Reply

Admin

shanaqui - 2013-01-25 7:59 AM Could Andre Norton's Here Abide Monsters be added, please? I have a review to post!

Hey shanaqui, I've moved Here Abide Monsters to the top of my list so look for that in the next few days.

Wastrel - 2013-01-25 3:01 PM Margo Lanagan: you have Tender Morsels, but you don't have The Brides of Rollrock Island(an expansion of a WFA-winning novella). Surprisingly, you also don't have her double-WFA-winning collection, Black Juice. Her collection Red Spikes was also WFA-nominated.

Those are on our list now.  Don't be too surprised at what we're missing.  We built the site around the awards to begin with so we're skewed towards the male authors quite heavily.  The WoGF is part of our effort to correct the imballance.  We're getting better with all these recomendations but it just takes time.  Thanks!

SarahPi - 2013-01-25 9:11 PM Hi there, Some of N.K. Jemisin's works are listed, but could you add The Killing Moon? Thanks!

Done and done.  I just added The Killing Moon and The Shadowed Sun a few days ago so we now have all her books.  Enjoy!

Zoori - 2013-01-27 7:51 AM First of all, this list is a great idea! I was surprised not to find P. C. Hodgell - God Stalk trilogy, as suggested by Engelbrecht. She is one of the jewels yet to be discovered for some and appreciated by many fantasy lovers. Thanks.

Thanks!  I'm glad you found your way to WWEnd.  See comment above about surprises   We have God Stalk and Dark of the Moon on the do list.  Both are noms for the Mythopoetic Award which is one of our top priorities since it will help us with WoGF authors a great deal.  See the conversation about the Mytho here.

controuble - 2013-01-30 8:24 AM P.N. Elrod appears to be missing from the Women's list, too - she wrote the Jack Fleming, vampire detective books.

I've got the Vampire Files on the to do list now, thanks.  12 volumes!

oddrid - 2013-02-01 2:17 PM Hi! New user here. This challenge is what spurred me to make an account! May I suggest adding Jane Gaskell? Here is a list of her books on Goodreads. China Miville posted a quote from one of her novels on his blog today and piqued my interest in her writing. I would add Strange Evil and her Atlan series books (I'd love to read the first one, The Serpent, for this challenge). Thanks!

Welcome to WWEnd and the WoGF!  I've not heard of Jane Gaskell before so thanks for the suggestion.  I've got the Atlan Saga, Strange Evil and King's Daughter on the to do list now.

Thanks everyone for the author and book suggestions.  We'll get another batch added as soon as we can.

dihenydd
Posted 2013-02-04 5:26 PM (#4669 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

I am thinking of reading the following for the challenge if it can be added to the DB please

Susan Beth Pfeffer - The Last Survivors - Life As We Knew It

Graham Vingoe
Posted 2013-02-06 5:09 AM (#4677 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

We've already got Liz Jensen on the list but she has a new novel out called the Uninvited which I've been so desperate to get hold of that I'm borrowed a large-print version from our library rather than wait for the paperback!
Carl V.
Posted 2013-02-06 8:56 PM (#4681 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Please add Cassandra Rose Clarke and her book The Mad Scientist's Daughter. Thank you so much!
Wastrel
Posted 2013-02-07 12:45 PM (#4682 - in reply to #4665)
Quote Reply

New User

Those are on our list now. Don't be too surprised at what we're missing. We built the site around the awards to begin with so we're skewed towards the male authors quite heavily. The WoGF is part of our effort to correct the imballance. We're getting better with all these recomendations but it just takes time. Thanks!

Oh, I'm not surprised in general - I'm surprised specifically because Black Juice won not one but two World Fantasy Awards but wasn't on your list.

I can understand you not including books just because a story in them won a WFA - it would be nightmarish to work out which stories were in which collection accurately (and then what about stories incorporated into novels?) - but I really do think that you ought to - not as part of this WOGF project, but just as part of the basic 'list of award-winning books' project - include winners/nominees of Anthology and Collection awards as well as just Best Novel. Collection, at the very least, since it's not even always clear what's a collection and what's a novel! [Quite a few award-winning novels are really linked short-story collections.]
bookishgal
Posted 2013-02-10 2:28 PM (#4687 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

If the Tiptree award winners were added, we'd have lists less skewed toward white men. There would be more diversity of choice.
Carmilla
Posted 2013-02-12 4:37 AM (#4691 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Please add Carmilla Voiez to the database, writer of horror and dark fantasy. http://www.amazon.com/Carmilla-Voiez/e/B00AMZKZ5I/ref=ntt_athr_dp_p...
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-12 10:26 PM (#4696 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

#bookishgal I think a lot of them are already in the db. Some are stories which is a problem for this site to handle.
JamesVirgil
Posted 2013-02-12 10:40 PM (#4697 - in reply to #4696)
Quote Reply

Seems like there might be enough new novels on the list to make looking into the Tiptree list worthwhile. I was surprised by some of the male names and books listed.

JamesVirgil
Posted 2013-02-12 10:40 PM (#4698 - in reply to #4696)
Quote Reply

I just glanced at the wikipedia page and assumed any title not in quotation marks and with publisher info was a novel. That might have been misleading.

Edited by JamesVirgil 2013-02-12 10:43 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-12 10:54 PM (#4699 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I think you are right about the quotation marks. At least it hold true for Le Guin. But a lot of the novels have won for other things that are in WWE and the winners for the last 2 years are in anyway. I count at least 15 winners that are in the db already.
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-12 11:48 PM (#4700 - in reply to #4669)
Quote Reply

Admin

Hello all.  I'm going to try and catch up a little on this thread.  If you scroll up to my last post on the 2nd you'll be at the last point that I felt worth a damn.  I had a gnarly cold that put me down the last few weeks but I'm starting to feel human again and will hopefully make some headway on this to do list soon.

dihenydd - 2013-02-04 5:26 PM I am thinking of reading the following for the challenge if it can be added to the DB please Susan Beth Pfeffer - The Last Survivors - Life As We Knew It

I've got Pfeffer's Last Survivors series on the list now, thanks.  And welcome to WWEnd!

Graham Vingoe - 2013-02-06 5:09 AM We've already got Liz Jensen on the list but she has a new novel out called the Uninvited which I've been so desperate to get hold of that I'm borrowed a large-print version from our library rather than wait for the paperback!

The Uninvited is on the list now, Graham, and boy does it sound creapy as all hell!  I'm looking forward to your review.

A seven-year-old girl puts a nail-gun to her grandmother''s neck and fires. An isolated incident, say the experts. The experts are wrong. Across the world, children are killing their families. Is violence contagious? Hesketh Lock is tasked with finding out. Part psychological thriller, part dystopian nightmare, The Uninvited is a powerful and viscerally unsettling portrait of apocalypse in embryo.

Carl V. - 2013-02-06 8:56 PM Please add Cassandra Rose Clarke and her book The Mad Scientist's Daughter. Thank you so much!

No problem, Carl. We're on it.

Wastrel - 2013-02-07 12:45 PM Oh, I'm not surprised in general - I'm surprised specifically because Black Juice won not one but two World Fantasy Awards but wasn't on your list. I can understand you not including books just because a story in them won a WFA - it would be nightmarish to work out which stories were in which collection accurately (and then what about stories incorporated into novels?) - but I really do think that you ought to - not as part of this WOGF project, but just as part of the basic 'list of award-winning books' project - include winners/nominees of Anthology and Collection awards as well as just Best Novel. Collection, at the very least, since it's not even always clear what's a collection and what's a novel! [Quite a few award-winning novels are really linked short-story collections.]

Collections and anthologies are something that I'm rather eager to get to but right now we have our hands full just dealing with novels.  Still several awards we want to get in first before we branch out of the novel categories.  We do put in lots of collections and anthos, especially if requested, but there's much to be done before we can shift our focus for the awards and lists.

Carmilla - 2013-02-12 4:37 AM Please add Carmilla Voiez to the database, writer of horror and dark fantasy.

Thanks for the request and welcome to WWEnd, Carmilla!

bookishgal - 2013-02-10 2:28 PM If the Tiptree award winners were added, we'd have lists less skewed toward white men. There would be more diversity of choice.

booksihgal, justifiedsinner and JamesVirgil:  Tiptree is on the shortlist of awards especially since it will also support the WoGF - much like the Mythopoetic Award that we're working towards now.  We'll have to find a way to deal with the short stories in the list but I'm sure we can come up with a solution when the time comes.

burningglove
Posted 2013-02-13 3:19 AM (#4701 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Hi, I was wondering if you could add Sherri S Tepper's True Game Omnibus which is the first in the series of three anthologies, and contains the novels King's Blood Four, Necromancer Nine, and Wizard's Eleven? I am reading it for the challenge. The True Game novels were her first published works.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_S._Tepper
http://www.amazon.com/True-Game-Sheri-S-Tepper/dp/0441003311

Edited by burningglove 2013-02-13 3:21 AM
dihenydd
Posted 2013-02-13 4:58 PM (#4703 - in reply to #4700)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2013-02-12 6:48 AM

I've got Pfeffer's Last Survivors series on the list now, thanks. And welcome to WWEnd!

Thanks for the welcome hope you are feeling much better soon.

I have a review ready to post for this novel but still can't find the author in the DB. I have tried the search facility and just browsed the list of women authors. No luck though - am I overlooking something?
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-13 5:55 PM (#4704 - in reply to #4703)
Quote Reply

Admin

dihenydd - 2013-02-13 4:58 PM Thanks for the welcome hope you are feeling much better soon. I have a review ready to post for this novel but still can't find the author in the DB. I have tried the search facility and just browsed the list of women authors. No luck though - am I overlooking something?

Oh, I should have been more clear!  I've got Pfeffer's Last Survivors series on my lengthy to do list.  She has not yet been added to the site.  I'm feeling much better, thanks, so I hope to post a batch of new authors/books this weekend and Pfeffer should be in that group since you've got your review ready.

JamesVirgil
Posted 2013-02-13 8:10 PM (#4705 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

You guys are busy. When do you get time to read?
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-13 9:06 PM (#4706 - in reply to #4705)
Quote Reply

Admin

JamesVirgil - 2013-02-13 8:10 PM You guys are busy. When do you get time to read?

Heh!  Wherever I can!  I've ended up giving up about 2/3 of my reading time to work on the site but I've dropped some other hobbies to compensate for it a bit and I tend to gravitate towards shorter books now so I can dip into more authors.  But you know, the next best thing to reading books is talking about them and there are other benefits gained in the trade off like all the great people from around the world I've met through WWEnd.  It's a lot of work but I'm still having fun!

gallyangel
Posted 2013-02-15 4:36 AM (#4707 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hello Hello. Diana Wynne Jones. You have her in the database and I'd like to read Howl's Moving Castle this month, which isn't in the database. If possible.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-15 11:14 AM (#4708 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

There's a great film version by Hayao Miyazaki if you haven't seen it. Definitely makes me want to read the book sometime.
dustydigger
Posted 2013-02-17 3:36 PM (#4722 - in reply to #4708)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

@ Galleyangel - I too am a Wynne Jones fan.I loved Howl's Moving Castle,with its quirky humour.For most of the book the young heroine is under a spell,and has been turned into a middle aged woman with arthritic knees! lol.I also enjoyed her Guide to Fantasyland which so slyly and humorously showed up all those tropes and cliches of fantasy writers' books.Should be required reading for all would be fantasy authors,to help them avoidthe pitfalls
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Frozen New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)