open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - J.R.R. Tolkien
- (Added by: Administrator)

Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

gallyangel
Posted 2013-02-17 9:51 PM (#4724 - in reply to #4467)
Subject: Re: Women of Genre Fiction Author & Book Requests
Quote Reply

Uber User

Justifiedsinner & dustydigger - Read it. Couldn't put it down. Do you call a woman in her 90ies middle-aged? I'd say this is a perfect novel if you wanted to learn the art of book to movie. See the movie, read this, and you can really see how the script was formed.

Admin. Howl seems to be the first of three books. The House of Many Ways is a direct sequel and Booklist says about Many Ways: Its been a long time coming, but Jones has finally returned to the madcap world of Howls Moving Castle (1986) and Castle in the Air (1991) with an equally rollicking, enchantment-filled tale. I guess Castle is set in the same universe. Great, another three for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
controuble
Posted 2013-02-18 7:15 AM (#4725 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Veteran

You have Karen Miller, but seem to be missing Jennifer Fallon and Trudi Canavan.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-18 10:48 AM (#4726 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

@gallyangel. I had no heard of the "Castle in the Sky" novel, presumably this is different from the Miyazaki film which was done much earlier than Howl's.
Tantara
Posted 2013-02-18 8:40 PM (#4728 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

You have Caitlin R. Kiernan in the database but don't have many of her works. I'm currently reading The Drowning Girl and would like to post a review when I'm done, so I'd like to request it be added, please.

Edited by Tantara 2013-02-18 8:41 PM
Linguana
Posted 2013-02-19 6:49 AM (#4731 - in reply to #4728)
Quote Reply

Tantara - 2013-02-19 2:40 AM

You have Caitlin R. Kiernan in the database but don't have many of her works. I'm currently reading The Drowning Girl and would like to post a review when I'm done, so I'd like to request it be added, please.

I'll second that request. The Drowning Girl is very high on my to-read list and if it's added to the database, I'll definitely review it for the challenge .

Edited by Linguana 2013-02-19 6:51 AM
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-20 9:16 PM (#4732 - in reply to #4669)
Quote Reply

Admin

dihenydd - 2013-02-04 5:26 PM I am thinking of reading the following for the challenge if it can be added to the DB please Susan Beth Pfeffer - The Last Survivors - Life As We Knew It

Susan Beth Pfeffer
Life as We Know It
The Dead and the Gone
The World We Live In

gallyangel - 2013-02-15 4:36 AM Hello Hello. Diana Wynne Jones. You have her in the database and I'd like to read Howl's Moving Castle this month, which isn't in the database. If possible.

and @justifiedsinner and @dustydigger:  On the to do list.  Really love the movie!

Tantara - 2013-02-18 8:40 PM You have Caitlin R. Kiernan in the database but don't have many of her works. I'm currently reading The Drowning Girl and would like to post a review when I'm done, so I'd like to request it be added, please.

and @Linguana:  Perfect timing for this request!  The Drowning Girl was just nominated for the Nebula.  Must be good.

Some other books requested somewhere:

Susan Cooper
The Dark is Rising
Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark is Rising
Greenwitch
The Grey King
Silver on the Tree

Linguana
Posted 2013-02-21 4:09 AM (#4733 - in reply to #4732)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2013-02-21 3:16 AM
Tantara - 2013-02-18 8:40 PM You have Caitlin R. Kiernan in the database but don't have many of her works. I'm currently reading The Drowning Girl and would like to post a review when I'm done, so I'd like to request it be added, please.

and @Linguana: Perfect timing for this request! The Drowning Girl was just nominated for the Nebula. Must be good.

I started reading it yesterday and I'm already halfway done. It is SO good.
This challenge has been fantastic so far. It's only February and I've already discovered a few authors that have completely blown me away.
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-21 8:13 AM (#4734 - in reply to #4733)
Quote Reply

Admin

I started reading it yesterday and I'm already halfway done. It is SO good. This challenge has been fantastic so far. It's only February and I've already discovered a few authors that have completely blown me away.

That's good to hear!  Your experience is pretty much exactly the experience we wanted people to have.  It's always exciting to try somebody new and find a new favorite.  Have you read your random pick yet?

Linguana
Posted 2013-02-21 10:51 AM (#4737 - in reply to #4734)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2013-02-21 2:13 PM
Have you read your random pick yet?

No, not yet. I have so many women authors on my TBR that are new to me, my list is almost full. But I am keeping that one spot for the random author open. After all, the year has only just started. I'll be looking out for all the women writers that will be added and probably have my boyfriend pick a random one for me.
dr.graynicks
Posted 2013-02-24 6:51 PM (#4740 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

I've finished Libba Bray's _A Great and Terrible Beauty_ (first of the Gemma Doyle trilogy), and I'd love to post a review if you could add it to her page. Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-25 3:40 PM (#4754 - in reply to #4740)
Quote Reply

Admin

Here, have some books....

Ann Aguirre
Sirantha Jax:
- Grimspace
- Wanderlust
- Doubleblind
- Killbox
- Aftermath
- Endgame

Diana Wynne Jones
Howl's Moving Castle:
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Castle in the Air
- House of Many Ways

Meredith Ann Pierce
The Darkangel Trilogy:
- The Darkangel
- A Gathering of Gargoyles
- The Pearl of the Soul of the World
The Firebringer Trilogy:
- Birth of the Firebringer
- Dark Moon
- The Son of Summer Stars

P. C. Hodgell
Chronicles of the Kencyrath:
- God Stalk
- Dark of the Moon
- Seeker's Mask
- To Ride a Rathorn
- Bound in Blood
- Honor's Paradox

shanaqui
Posted 2013-02-25 3:51 PM (#4755 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Hey, will Here Abide Monsters (Andre Norton) be added soon? I read it (and asked for it to be added) in January and as far as I can see it hasn't been added. I've got a review ready to upload -- I wrote it back in January -- so it'd be good if I could add it soon.
Administrator
Posted 2013-02-25 4:03 PM (#4756 - in reply to #4755)
Quote Reply

Admin

shanaqui - 2013-02-25 3:51 PM Hey, will Here Abide Monsters (Andre Norton) be added soon? I read it (and asked for it to be added) in January and as far as I can see it hasn't been added. I've got a review ready to upload -- I wrote it back in January -- so it'd be good if I could add it soon.

My bad!  I'll get that one added to the next batch.  Thanks for your patience.

Administrator
Posted 2013-02-25 4:32 PM (#4757 - in reply to #4756)
Quote Reply

Admin

Found a minute to get this one in.  Sorry for the wait.

Here Abide Monsters

shanaqui
Posted 2013-02-25 4:36 PM (#4758 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Thanks very much!
bstanley52
Posted 2013-02-25 4:46 PM (#4759 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

While we are checking on books posted in the past, are these in the queue yet?

Gini Koch ("Touched by an Alien")
Celia Jerome ("Trolls in the Hamptons")
Jenn Bennett ("Kindling the Moon")

Thanks for adding Ann Aguirre today!

Edited by bstanley52 2013-02-25 4:47 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-26 9:46 AM (#4761 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Joanna Russ is something of an icon in feminist SF. You are missing 2 of her novels "We Who Are About To.." (1977) and "The Two of Them" (1978). On the non-fiction side she wrote the well-regarded "How to Suppress Women's Writing".
cmbellerive
Posted 2013-02-26 7:45 PM (#4763 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

I second Michelle (Sagara) West! I really want to read The Hidden City.
cmbellerive
Posted 2013-02-26 8:35 PM (#4764 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

New User

Ooh, and James Tiptree Jr! One of those authors I've always meant to read, but haven't gotten to her yet. Thanks for this awesome challenge -- I'm new to the site, and it really drew me in. Can't resist!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-27 10:59 AM (#4766 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I re-posted the comment I have on Women and Fantasy on Library Thing which caused quite a stir there. I also mentioned the WoGF challenge. It did elicit some criticism of WWE for the number of books missing. I have explained that you only have a small number of people adding books and don't allow users to enter their own books yet. The author author Janny Wurts was somewhat miffed that only 3 of her books are included and those co-authored with a man. She also exclaimed at the omission of Janet Morris. For anyone who's interested this is the link:

http://www.librarything.com/topic/150355
shanaqui
Posted 2013-02-27 11:12 AM (#4767 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Wow, my opinion of Janny Wurts just actually went down for that. Someone can't get as far as reading the FAQ...

"Why is my favorite author not in your database? What kind of site are you running here?!

This is one of the most asked questions we get, often in angry or accusatory tones. The simple answer is that your favorite author was not nominated for any of the awards or book lists we currently cover. That's it. There's no conspiracy to defraud your favorite of their rightful place in the annals of SF/F/H.

As we add more awards we'll be adding more authors along with them. Please be patient and try to understand that data collection is time consuming and often difficult. We like to think that with over 1,200 authors to choose from you might find a new favorite if you look around a bit."

Oh look! A site is doing something with plans to encourage people to read books by female authors they weren't familiar with, also allowing for more female authors to be added to their database. Let's get really angry because they don't have MY books!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-27 11:24 AM (#4768 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

She seems very stressed out over the deteriorating situation where women are having a much harder time getting published in genre fiction. I did not realise the situation was so bad until Ian Sales and Wurtz posted.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-02-27 11:49 AM (#4769 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I also think that those FAQs no longer apply because of the WoGFC. By adding lots of women authors most of whom are not award winners there are going to be authors who get miffed because they are excluded.
dihenydd
Posted 2013-02-27 12:05 PM (#4770 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

I am so unbelievably grateful that I found this site and this challenge. There are tons of authors missing - there always will be until people stop writing but I am amazed at the achievements of what I am assuming is a small number of people working for nothing in their own time to make life easier for me to explore a genre I love.
shanaqui
Posted 2013-02-27 12:12 PM (#4771 - in reply to #4467)
Quote Reply

I don't think that makes Wurts' comments that much better. A quick look around would show that they've been adding books by female authors in general only since January, and the smartest thing to do would probably be, instead of chelping about it on another forum, signing up and suggesting some more books to add. Including her own.

Srsly, it's not that difficult a concept. Oh, a book I want to read/think should be included isn't here. Do I a) yell about it to other people somewhere else or b) sign up and help the site expand their database?

It mostly surprises me that she's aware of the issues surrounding SF/F and female authors, but then doesn't connect "women don't get published as easily" with "women don't win awards as easily" with "this site only added award nominees/winners pre-January 2013". It's not so much the site's problem then, unless they weren't doing anything to address it. And they are. Isn't that what this challenge is about?

Edited by shanaqui 2013-02-27 12:16 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Frozen New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)