open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I think that most of us, anyway, read these stories that we know are not "true" because we're hungry for another kind of truth: the mythic truth about human nature in general, the particular truth about those life-communities that define our own identity, and the most specific truth of all: our own self-story. Fiction, because it is not about someone who lived in the real world, always has the possibility of being about oneself. " - Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)
- (Added by: Emil)

Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Off TopicMessage format

katjevanloon
Posted 2013-05-23 11:44 PM (#5108)
Subject: Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...

...but I'm Canadian, so I'm erring on the side of politeness.

I'm Kat van Loon (first name is short for Katje, which is Dutch and confusing). Reader, writer, knitter, crocheter, baker, Cylon, witch. Massive geek.

I grew up reading...well, everything, but sci-fi and fantasy were my faves. Mom has a huge library (about 10,000 books) and I'm slowly catching up (I've got about 1,000 so far). I'm sort of terrible at writing reviews, because either I love books and ramble like a tumblr-user on a sugar-binge at 2am or I hate them and mock them relentlessly (like a tumblr-user...on a sugar-binge...at 2am). If I feel meh about books I don't bother reviewing. I'm trying to get better, however, and actually working on honing my reviewing skills so my reviews are still entertaining but also more coherent.

Hobbies include drunkenly livetweeting terrible films, shaking my cane at youngsters who are on my lawn, and attending my fiance's burlesque performances, whenever he actually gets off his butt to participate in them. (We are both incredibly lazy.)

User of LibraryThing, Shelfari, and GoodReads. Trying to up my usage of LibraryThing in particular, as it's the only one that's not (fully) owned by Amazon at this point. Anyway, I always like making new friends, so if any of you are on those sites feel free to send me a request.

I think that's the pertinent stuff. Happy to be on the site, and hopefully I can add something to the discussions. 

-Kat

PS: Is the "reading list" on BookTrackr a "to-read" list? Want to be sure I'm using it correctly, and I couldn't find that particular piece of info in the FAQ or BookTrackr guide. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-24 12:38 AM (#5109 - in reply to #5108)
Subject: RE: Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...

Admin

katjevanloon - 2013-05-23 11:44 PM

PS: Is the "reading list" on BookTrackr a "to-read" list? Want to be sure I'm using it correctly, and I couldn't find that particular piece of info in the FAQ or BookTrackr guide. 

Hello Kat, and welcome to WWEnd!  Thanks for introducing yourself - it's always nice to know a bit about other members.  I definitely encourage you to jump right in.  It sometimes takes a bit to get folks going but we've got a great group here and I'm glad you decided to join us.

I'm looking forward to reading some of your reviews and I'm guessing they're better than you imagine which is almost always the case in my experience.  WWEnd is a great place to hone your reviewing skills and if you join the Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge you might even get payed for it!

A bit about me: Name's Dave, and I run this site with 3 of my best friends for fun in our spare time.  It seems like I'm reading less and less these days (life and WWEnd take up so much of my free time) and I've been accused of being a collector rather than a reader.  It might have something to do with the 150 books on my desk that I'll likely never get a chance to read.  I'm in the process of converting my pedestrian mustache into a more distinguished handlebar which absolutely terrifies my wife.  I like all kinds of genre fiction and am contemplating added a bit more Steam Punk to my diet and perhaps a vest and bowler hat to go with the more eccentric soup strainer.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site and I encourage you to click around a bit to see all the cool stuff we have to offer the genre fan.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, the Reading List is a "to-read" list.  Happy reading!

katjevanloon
Posted 2013-05-24 2:48 AM (#5110 - in reply to #5109)
Subject: RE: Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...

Administrator - 2013-05-23 10:38 PM

Hello Kat, and welcome to WWEnd!  Thanks for introducing yourself - it's always nice to know a bit about other members.  I definitely encourage you to jump right in.  It sometimes takes a bit to get folks going but we've got a great group here and I'm glad you decided to join us.

Thank you! It's funny, I actually followed the WWEnd Twitter account a while ago, but hadn't realized there was a forum/members section for me to join until today. I am a silly goose. ^_^

I'm looking forward to reading some of your reviews and I'm guessing they're better than you imagine which is almost always the case in my experience.  WWEnd is a great place to hone your reviewing skills and if you join the Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge you might even get payed for it!

Well, there's some incentive! I'll definitely start writing reviews, then, and posting them (in whole or excerpted + linked form) here. I have joined the WoGF Challenge; hoping I can get it done (I read very slowly these days; 10 years of University has fried my brain). 

A bit about me: Name's Dave, and I run this site with 3 of my best friends for fun in our spare time.  It seems like I'm reading less and less these days (life and WWEnd take up so much of my free time) and I've been accused of being a collector rather than a reader.  It might have something to do with the 150 books on my desk that I'll likely never get a chance to read.  I'm in the process of converting my pedestrian mustache into a more distinguished handlebar which absolutely terrifies my wife.  I like all kinds of genre fiction and am contemplating added a bit more Steam Punk to my diet and perhaps a vest and bowler hat to go with the more eccentric soup strainer.

Dude, handlebar mustache? Awesomest thing ever. And it'll go fantastically with a Steam Punk outfit. :D

I'm a bit of a collector more than a reader these days too, so you're not alone. I can't stop buying books, yet I never seem to have the time to read them. Working on a non-fiction pile currently; hoping to be able to squeeze in a few fiction books soon.

Lovely to meet you, Dave! 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site and I encourage you to click around a bit to see all the cool stuff we have to offer the genre fan.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, the Reading List is a "to-read" list.  Happy reading!

Yay! Glad to know I'm using it correctly. 

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm sure I'm going to love it here.

dustydigger
Posted 2013-06-11 2:26 PM (#5255 - in reply to #5110)
Subject: Re: Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...

Elite Veteran

Hi Kat! And welcome to this fab website,which fulfils every need of a SF fan!. I am on shelfari,I've left a note there for you.Talk later :0)
Deven Science
Posted 2019-06-17 9:51 PM (#20939 - in reply to #5108)
Subject: Re: Not sure if I should introduce myself or jump in and start posting...

Uber User

That seems like a great list of hobbies.

Welcome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)