open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Anyone can write a three-volume novel. All it takes is a complete ignorance of Art and Life. -- Oscar Wilde
- (Added by: gallyangel)

2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-08 8:36 AM (#5944)
Subject: 2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Young Adult novels is an interesting category that is growing by leaps and bounds. Writer Nick Hornby said "I see now that dismissing YA books because you’re not a young adult is a little bit like refusing to watch thrillers on the grounds that you’re not a policeman or a dangerous criminal, and as a consequence, I’ve discovered a previously ignored room at the back of the bookstore that’s filled with masterpieces I’ve never heard of."

Come with me and discover some masterpieces in 2014!

If they can manage it here, I want to have options for two levels - the Full Challenge (12 books, 12 authors, 12 reviews) or the Summer Challenge (4 books, 4 authors, 4 reviews).

Look for more information on the Reading Challenge page.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-08 12:42 PM (#5956 - in reply to #5944)
Subject: RE: 2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Challenge page - https://www.worldswithoutend.com/rollyourown.asp?ryo_id=9
Blog (reading lists) - http://worldswithoutendya.blogspot.com/
gloker
Posted 2014-01-08 4:07 PM (#5961 - in reply to #5944)
Subject: Re: 2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

This was the challenge I was thinking of when I read of 2014's roll your Own.!
Happy to join yours, but when I try >>>it keeps saying "Down for Maintena..." is this a for real message or glitch?
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-08 4:46 PM (#5962 - in reply to #5961)
Quote Reply

Yeah, I am seeing that too now. Other than that, the site is up. Let's hope our friend Administrator notices and can give a better answer.

I promise not to close down the challenge in the mean time
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 9:35 PM (#5966 - in reply to #5962)
Quote Reply

Admin

Sorry 'bout the glitch.  Looks like you got in there after whargoul fixed it.  I'm sure we'll a few more of those until we get it all ironed out but that one won't be coming back.

And now, how about a spiffy banner for this challenge?

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-01-09 9:41 PM (#5990 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thomcat, I see you have "The Giver" on your reading list. I read it last year for the WOGF challenge and I found it to be one of the most disturbing YA novels I have read ever. I can't wait to discuss it with you after you finish it!
francesashton
Posted 2014-01-10 7:35 AM (#5995 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Regular

Thomcat, thanks for setting up this list. I have been planning on getting to 100% of the Locus YA award list for quite some time and now I can do some serious damage to it.
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-10 7:57 AM (#5996 - in reply to #5995)
Quote Reply

And thank you all for joining in! I am posting a second teen list on the blog site today, for anyone who wants more items to choose from.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-13 2:27 PM (#6058 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi Thomcat! Thanks for setting up this challenge,I already had a challenge off site where I had to read 12 YA books.I have found that quite often I get more enjoyment and often thought provoking reads from this genre than from adult stuff.In particular,Laini Taylor,Holly Black and Marissa Meyer have been impressive.Quite a few of the books on my offsite challenge are not available on WWEnd,may have to pro Dave to add a lot of books!.If not,I am sure I can find some good stuff from your list.I LOVE lists!. But I think I had better make this my last challenge.Four is enough,dont you think? ;0)
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-13 3:05 PM (#6059 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Lots of good stuff on the Mythopoeic Awards list for juniors.I think I will be asking Dave to add quite a few of them to the site! check out
www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/https:
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-15 1:04 PM (#6098 - in reply to #6059)
Quote Reply

dustydigger - 2014-01-13 1:05 PM

Lots of good stuff on the Mythopoeic Awards list for juniors.I think I will be asking Dave to add quite a few of them to the site! check out
https://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/

Thanks for the pointer - I'll feature this one next on the blog ( http://worldswithoutendya.blogspot.com/ ). Looks like "Children" covers a large range.

Yes, four challenges is quite enough. I have three, with about 25% crossover, but an overall challenge to read 100 books this year.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-17 5:06 AM (#6132 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

100 books? Pfft! a mere bagatelle.I have a challenge on Shelfari to read 144 books,12 each in 12 categories,and then I foolishly came over here and added four more challenges.Fortunately already had a category for award winning SF,Fantasy,the NPR list, the Junior Mythopoeic,plus Horror and Urban Fantasy,and used a lot of those books here.Still,I have added on 14 books here.Add some other crime fiction challenges,and I am looking at 170 books at the minimum. I can never resist
a challenge or a list.Like Oscar Wilde,I can resist everything but temptation! lol
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-17 10:49 AM (#6135 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

That would have me beat. I read 157 books last year and 157 the year before. About 60+ were SF & F.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-20 12:06 PM (#6177 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

A rather interesting well chosen list of YA dystopian fiction is to be found on one of my favvourite websites for recommendations both YA and adult..Thomcat hope you find checking this out enjoyable,though I doubt many of them are on WWEnd
http://www.lovereading.co.uk/genre/dst/Alternative-Futures-Dystopia...
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-20 7:56 PM (#6181 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm not sure all of these would be classed as YA. Cormac McCarthy's The Road with it's graphic cannibalism for example. A Clockwork Orange with it's rapes. And while Lord of the Flies is certainly classed as YA it's neither SF or a dystopia.,
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-21 6:42 AM (#6188 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Well,in real life the teens probably lap up the gruesome books with great pleasure! lol.I am well aware that not all the books are appropriate for this particular challenge,but its an interesting list for the most part.I often turn to YA when I am bored with the tedious excesses of bad language and graphic sex and violence in adult books.Makes a refreshing change!
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-24 12:51 PM (#6225 - in reply to #6098)
Quote Reply

Thomcat - 2014-01-15 11:04 AM
dustydigger - 2014-01-13 1:05 PM
https://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/

Thanks for the pointer - I'll feature this one next on the blog ( http://worldswithoutendya.blogspot.com/ ). Looks like "Children" covers a large range.

... and the blog is updated - there are a lot of Mythopoeic books already on GoodReads!

Plenty more Young Adult lists to add. Blog updates should keep me busy until late spring at least.

--Thom
http://worldswithoutendya.blogspot.com/
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-26 3:17 PM (#6248 - in reply to #6181)
Quote Reply

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-20 5:56 PM

I'm not sure all of these would be classed as YA. Cormac McCarthy's The Road with it's graphic cannibalism for example. A Clockwork Orange with it's rapes. And while Lord of the Flies is certainly classed as YA it's neither SF or a dystopia.,

I tend to agree, and didn't see a tag which labeled it specifically YA. We certainly read a lot of Dystopia when I was in school (Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Flies, and Fahrenheit 451) and I will keep my eye out for a YA list.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-01 6:07 PM (#6307 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

So I just got the most horrible news. My local library has finally raised the $500,000 they needed for improvements to the buildings and are getting ready to close the building for the foreseeable future while they remodel and rearrange the stacks to maximize space. Now my favorite librarian, who is my hook-up for all the best stuff (And yes I know I sound like a junkie jonesing for a hit, but really it sort of works doesn't it!) has assured me that if I give her a list of the books I will need for this years challenges she will be sure to send them over to the satellite office, but once I do that I will be locked into my choices or what I can get from my digital library. All I can say is wish me luck!
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-02 10:26 AM (#6312 - in reply to #6307)
Quote Reply

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-01 6:07 PM So I just got the most horrible news. My local library has finally raised the $500,000 they needed for improvements to the buildings and are getting ready to close the building for the foreseeable future while they remodel and rearrange the stacks to maximize space. Now my favorite librarian, who is my hook-up for all the best stuff (And yes I know I sound like a junkie jonesing for a hit, but really it sort of works doesn't it!) has assured me that if I give her a list of the books I will need for this years challenges she will be sure to send them over to the satellite office, but once I do that I will be locked into my choices or what I can get from my digital library. All I can say is wish me luck!

First, congrats to your library for securing the funds to make improvements!  Nice to hear that.  It's cool you've found a work around to get your book fix while they're out of commission for the remodel but I can see your predicament.  Even if I make a side stack of the books that I really really want to read at one moment I may not want to read any of them at the time I go looking for my next book.  The stack is still full of great books but I'm just not in the mood for any of them or something new and shiny has distracted me.

I would check out as many books as I can think of that I want to read and that the library will allow me to take.  Maximize your options while you can.

HRO
Posted 2014-02-02 1:20 PM (#6316 - in reply to #6307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-01 7:07 PM

So I just got the most horrible news. My local library has finally raised the $500,000 they needed for improvements to the buildings and are getting ready to close the building for the foreseeable future while they remodel and rearrange the stacks to maximize space. Now my favorite librarian, who is my hook-up for all the best stuff (And yes I know I sound like a junkie jonesing for a hit, but really it sort of works doesn't it!) has assured me that if I give her a list of the books I will need for this years challenges she will be sure to send them over to the satellite office, but once I do that I will be locked into my choices or what I can get from my digital library. All I can say is wish me luck!

You might check into paperbackswap.com

You post books that you want to get rid of, someone requests one of your books, you mail it to them, and then you get a credit that you can use to request a book from someone else. (And when you first sign up, you get (I think) two free credits so you can start requesting right away.)

It's not a completely perfect plan. You kinna have to want books that aren't so popular that everyone wants them or that aren't so obscure that no one ever puts them up for swapping. But if you can figure out those middle-of-the-road books, it's pretty grand.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-02 1:46 PM (#6319 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've started focusing on ebooks I can get from the digital library. The problem is that those are geared more towards newer novels, so I am going to gave some problems with my Grandmaster challenge I fear. Ten of the twelve novels are from the brick and mortar library, but I am giving my list to the librarian today and I know she will treat me right. I was only kidding about being upset about the renovations of course. I did all I could to help raise funds as it was obvious that our library was quickly outgrowing it's space. I'm sure it will be amazing when it is done.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-02-02 1:50 PM (#6320 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Badseedgirl, I know what you mean about ereaders. It is easy to get very old books from Project Gutenberg (and other places) and new books from many sources as well. The books in the middle are the tricky ones.
gloker
Posted 2014-02-14 6:53 PM (#6466 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

HI- Here is a short list by a favorite of mine: YA & A author's Cory Doctorow-
not all listed would qualify - but most
http://boingboing.net/2013/09/12/my-favorite-young-adult-book-r.htm...
keep the reading on...
g
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-14 8:00 PM (#6468 - in reply to #6466)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Great list. I especially liked "Dark Lord The Early Years" by Jamie Thomson. It is not listed on this site but was a wonderful juvenile/ya novel I read last year. I completely forgot about it. I know there was another book in the series I may just have to go look it up. I also have had "Jumper" by Steven Gould on my to be read list, I may have to move it up. Man I both Love and Hate Lists!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)