open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I think that most of us, anyway, read these stories that we know are not "true" because we're hungry for another kind of truth: the mythic truth about human nature in general, the particular truth about those life-communities that define our own identity, and the most specific truth of all: our own self-story. Fiction, because it is not about someone who lived in the real world, always has the possibility of being about oneself. " - Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)
- (Added by: Emil)

2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

gloker
Posted 2014-02-22 11:25 AM (#6557 - in reply to #5944)
Subject: Re: 2014 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Here is another list that contains a few that would be appropriate for this challenge. (and yes I am also doing the In Translation challenge and that is how I found this.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gloker
Posted 2014-02-22 11:26 AM (#6558 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

OOOPssss>>>sorry- forgot to include the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_Award_for_Children's_Literat...
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-10 1:58 PM (#6703 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ok so I made a quick change to my reading list. I just finished the YA novel "Rotters" by Daniel Kraus, and since I have just spent the last 3 weeks feeling depressed and agitated because of this novel, I felt I should at least be able to count it on a reading challenge somewhere. I'm still going to read "Summerland" by Michael Chabon, but just not for the challenge. I absolutely have to read something light and funny next because my psyche is feeling very fragile right now.
francesashton
Posted 2014-03-16 2:37 PM (#6720 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Regular

Quick question: I've not long finished Ian McDonald's Planesrunner and have finished the second book in the series too. Should I count just the first one, or can I use both (or all three as I'll be reading the last book later on)?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-16 3:03 PM (#6721 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

On looking at the last post I went back and read the qualifying rules for this challenge. I failed to read that the YA authors had to be new ones (which presumably means that you can't read more than 1 book by each author). I doubt I will be able to complete this challenge and have deleted the books I put in since they are ineligible. There seems to be no way of withdrawing from a challenge so I will have to let my list stand empty.
francesashton
Posted 2014-03-16 3:23 PM (#6722 - in reply to #6721)
Quote Reply

Regular

And that answered my question too. Just the one book it is. Hmm, still have to write those reviews.
gloker
Posted 2014-03-26 4:15 PM (#6754 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Hallo,
I read in the looking for book forum that we are to post into relevent category our reading list wish list. So I am posting this request list here.
These are books that I have read and have reviews at the ready to post once the books themselves are added to the database.
thank you,
gloria
Scored by Loren McLaughlin

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

The Unidentified by Rae Martiz

Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin
gloker
Posted 2014-03-26 5:11 PM (#6756 - in reply to #6754)
Quote Reply

Sorry I left off other that I have read and written a review for:

Gravity by
Melissa West (nothing to do with the recent movie)

thanks,
g
Thomcat
Posted 2014-03-28 10:14 AM (#6769 - in reply to #6721)
Quote Reply

justifiedsinner - 2014-03-16 1:03 PM

On looking at the last post I went back and read the qualifying rules for this challenge. I failed to read that the YA authors had to be new ones (which presumably means that you can't read more than 1 book by each author). I doubt I will be able to complete this challenge and have deleted the books I put in since they are ineligible. There seems to be no way of withdrawing from a challenge so I will have to let my list stand empty.

My intention was discovering new authors or new aspects of existing authors -- if you've read an authors adult fiction but not any YA, they would totally count. But yes, one book per author.

Perhaps you would still be interested in the summer challenge for this? Hoping to snare a few middle grade kids with this one
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-29 6:44 PM (#6775 - in reply to #6769)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thomcat - 2014-03-28 11:14 AM

justifiedsinner - 2014-03-16 1:03 PM

My intention was discovering new authors or new aspects of existing authors -- if you've read an authors adult fiction but not any YA, they would totally count. But yes, one book per author.

Perhaps you would still be interested in the summer challenge for this? Hoping to snare a few middle grade kids with this one

I was intending to read more YA this year but not necessarily by new authors (or at least not that many new authors). I might try the summer challenge, I'll have to see how I'm going on the other challenges. Because I'm doing 16 not including this one I'm trying for a high degree of overlap and new authors kill that, the WGoF is already straining the budget, 2 challenges like that would be difficult.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-07 12:26 AM (#6857 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Challenge update: well not much to update. I finished <u>Rotters</u> by Daniel Kraus in March. It was Brutal!!!!!!!! I plan to read <u>Ship Breaker</u> for April. Which looks to be another downer to be honest if it is anything like Daniel Kraus novel I will not be finishing it. I can't deal with another novel like that one.
francesashton
Posted 2014-04-28 1:53 PM (#7395 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Regular

Just finished The Incredible Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (handy too as it's a SF Masterwork - kerching to 2 challenges!). That's a rollicking good read with lots of action and suspense but it also makes you think and look at relationships and other concepts such as dignity in a new light.
gloker
Posted 2014-05-17 9:51 PM (#7706 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Hallo,
It is wonderful to see all the books getting added to the database. I am sure with this "roll your own multiple challenges" have really upped the ante in requests for additions.
However, knowing that this is even more work for you wonderful site building and maintaining folks-I am wondering When authors Not in database might be added. I don't really mean to sound whiny, but i am beginning to feel like I made mistakes by choosing the many authors that I did because they are not in the database. It is sure taking the wind out of my personal challenge to myself to write and post reviews for all I read. Not only can I not post my review, I can't even get the satisfaction of checking off another completed read for my challenges. Whatever is proposed next year- I hate to feel like I better limit myself to stuff only all ready listed.
Is there any sense of when new requested authors might get added?
as always-thanks for all you are doing to keep this site so great.
gloria
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-17 9:58 PM (#7707 - in reply to #7706)
Quote Reply

Admin

gloker - 2014-05-17 9:51 PM Hallo, It is wonderful to see all the books getting added to the database. I am sure with this "roll your own multiple challenges" have really upped the ante in requests for additions. However, knowing that this is even more work for you wonderful site building and maintaining folks-I am wondering When authors Not in database might be added. I don't really mean to sound whiny, but i am beginning to feel like I made mistakes by choosing the many authors that I did because they are not in the database. It is sure taking the wind out of my personal challenge to myself to write and post reviews for all I read. Not only can I not post my review, I can't even get the satisfaction of checking off another completed read for my challenges. Whatever is proposed next year- I hate to feel like I better limit myself to stuff only all ready listed. Is there any sense of when new requested authors might get added? as always-thanks for all you are doing to keep this site so great. gloria

Author and Publisher add/edit functionality is LIVE now for our Uber Users.  It's been up for about a week and they've gone to town with it adding dozens of new authors and hundreds of new books already.  They're putting in the stuff they personally want first as they should and they're also going through the requests lists in the various threads.  It won't take them long to catch up on those I'm sure.

This new functionality will open things up for everyone on the site so you won't have to feel limited anymore. Post the list of books you've read and somebody will jump on it toot-sweet.  These folks are working like Trojans to help us make this site as awesome as we can make it.  I'm glad you like what we're doing and I can tell you, you ain't seen nothing yet!

gloker
Posted 2014-05-18 12:34 AM (#7710 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Wow- things are really moving along!
thanks again.
If I have all ready posted requests in the appropriate challenge threads - should I just cool my jets until someone going through those thread requests gets to them? I wouldn't want to add more unnessecary messages or postings by listing them again.
This has been one of the "fun-est" and most provocative "book groups" I have ever joined! By provocative> I mean provoking more interest in reading more books!!
SO many books and so little time!
;]
g
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-18 4:11 AM (#7714 - in reply to #7710)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Gloker, Right now we are working from a list of requests from Before Ability to Add (let's call that BAA). Yesterday we had about 40 books left on the list, but I see that many have gone in overnight. Since we are making such good progress, I was planning to start double checking and collecting all the requests that came in after the BAA point and make our next list. So if you "cool your jets," as you say, your books will probably appear soon.

Rhonda

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-18 8:43 PM (#7727 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Gloker, I assembled the new list today, but didn't notice a request from you. What are you requesting and I'll make sure it gets on the list.
Rhonda
gloker
Posted 2014-05-18 9:13 PM (#7728 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Oh Rhonda- you are working too hard!
thank you for double checking-
my requests for this challenge in this thread on this page about 8-9 posts up.
But just in case they aren't showing up for you for some reason- here they are again:

Scored by Loren McLaughlin

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

The Unidentified by Rae Martiz

Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin
&
Gravity by
Melissa West (nothing to do with the recent movie)

again many thanks!
g
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-19 8:04 AM (#7734 - in reply to #7728)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Tthe West and Oliver are the only ones on the BAA list. I'll make sure the others are added as well.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-20 2:26 PM (#7752 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Oliver trilogy is in and so is the Mariz. I have to investigate the publisher for the West book, and I hope to get to the McLaughlin books tomorrow.
Rhonda
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-21 11:00 AM (#7759 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

gloker, Scored is now in WWE; however, there's a problem with the publisher of the West books.
Entangled Teen looks very much like a semi-vanity press. They pump out many books a month and seem to talk more on their website about profit than about quality. I was skeptical so I had the Administrator take a look at the press. He agrees that this is the kind of "almost" sefl-published book that WWE wants to avoid adding. Sorry that I can't help you with this one.
Rhonda
gloker
Posted 2014-05-21 1:46 PM (#7763 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Thank you Rhonda.
Dave, are you the Aministrator that Rhonda is referring to about making the judgment calls about publishers?
I can certainly understand with the enormity of adding so much to the database all ready- and not wanting to get tangled with self-published books!
I just have a review of the first in West's young adult sci-fi trilogy- that I wanted to post.
I found the book through a public library's recommended teen dystopian fiction reading list.
I haven't had much occasion to pay attention to a book's publisher when looking around for titles for the WWE challenges I take on, but I guess I have to start doing that now also. ??
Honestly, and I KNOW this is not intended on your part, I am feeling more & more just like to be safe that my readings and review will "count" -I should just pick stuff all ready in the database...
but please don't think that I am unappreciative- I LOVE WWE and am super grateful for all the work you all put into it.
g

francesashton
Posted 2014-06-30 1:18 PM (#8030 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Regular

Can I ask someone chuck "Half Bad" by Sally Green on the database sometime? Cracking little YA read and I can't wait for the next instalment. Must say that YA is definitely the place to be for me at the moment. Some wonderful reads out there and not just in SF.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-06-30 1:46 PM (#8032 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I wil add the trilogy later today.
Rhonda
francesashton
Posted 2014-07-01 1:48 PM (#8042 - in reply to #5944)
Quote Reply

Regular

Thanks Rhonda :-)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread