open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's a dangerous business going out your front door." - J.R.R. Tolkien
- (Added by: Administrator)

2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 1:59 AM (#5992)
Subject: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome everyone!

I wanted to give you a little more explanation of the why of this challenge.

I started by wondering how I could incorporate the last 4 books of my personal challenge to read all the Hugos. As I reflected on this, I realized all 4 books were the second or third book by an author whose previous winners I've already read. They are Connie Willis' "Blackout/All Clear", Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky", CJ Cherryh's "Downbelow Station", and Lois McMaster Bujold's "Paladin of Souls". I couldn't use the Sequel or Universe challenges because "Paladin" is not a sequel to or part of the universe of the Vorkosigan Saga books I've read and I haven't read "Curse of Chalion", Willis' books are not sequels, but are part of the time travel universe, and so on.

Also, I have been dying to read more of Clifford Simak and Karen Lord, Connie Willis' non-time-travel books, Russell's sequel to "The Sparrow", and the rest of Wrede and Steverson's "Kate and Cecelia" series.

This challenge covers all these books which do not fit snuggly into the other challenges. I enjoy discovering new authors. My reading list is full of them. But I really have said to myself, "I just HAVE to read more of ______ " many times in the past two years. This gives me a chance to finally follow through on that.

So if you've said this to yourself as well, this is the challenge for you! I welcome you to join me in this challenge and share your discoveries and thoughts in this forum.

Steve Poltz
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HRO
Posted 2014-01-10 4:54 AM (#5993 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: Re: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I love this challenge and it lines up well with my reading plans for the year. I discovered Sheri S. Tepper last year and want to eventually read all of her works so there are several of her titles on this year's To Read Mountain. My #1 book last year was American Gods by Neil Gaiman, but I barely liked Anansi Boys, so I am decidedly curious about his other writing. I also want to read more Octavia Butler, Ursula K. LeGuin, and others.

Excellent idea and thank you!
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 9:59 AM (#5998 - in reply to #5993)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi HRO,

You're very welcome. I was second guessing myself about whether other folks would share this sentiment. So I'm really happy you had the same feelings and found this challenge worthwhile.

As for Neil Gaiman books, I'd like to recommend "The Graveyard Book". It's a YA horror novel that I found incredibly elegant and touching. I read it and loved it. Then I got the book on CD for a trip to drive my mother-in-law from Alaska to Oregon, and we all welled up with tears at the end.

Steve
Emil
Posted 2014-01-10 11:05 AM (#5999 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've always wanted to read more Guy Gavriel Kay and Philip K. Dick. Perfect timing!

Oh, and I cam't fault spoltz recommendation of "The Graveyard Book." It had the very same impact on me!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-10 11:38 AM (#6001 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ok, you've twisted my arm. I've added The Graveyard Book to the reading list. Thanks for the recommendation! My challenge list is now exclusively works by Gaiman, Sheri S. Tepper, Octavia Butler, and Ursula K. LeGuin. I think I'm gonna love this challenge!
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 6:48 PM (#6004 - in reply to #5999)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome aboard Emil! Thanks for participating in the challenge.

- Steve
pauljames
Posted 2014-01-11 6:20 AM (#6008 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I have signed up today. Nearly finished my 1st book of the year so my 1st review will follow soon after.

Really looking forward to this challenge.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-11 9:20 AM (#6010 - in reply to #6008)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Paul!
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-13 2:15 PM (#6057 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Couldnt resist joining this challenge.I already have a challenge off WWEnd where I have Neil Gaiman as my featured author of the year.I am always intrigued by Gaiman's variety of style and subject..I read his Preludes and Nocturnes last month,so I am eager to continue with the Sandman books.and several others.I could probably fill the whole challenge just with his books.
I too have read quite a few Hugos etc,and want to read other books by winners.Hence Fritz Leiber The Big Time,and Ballard's The Crystal world,which I hope to find as interesting as The Drowned World,Read several Iain M Banks last year,and really want to read Consider Phlebas,and possibly Use of Weapons...Also I want to read Greg Bear's Blood Music after reading Eon,and the finally part of Peter Hamilton's series about a psy detecctive,The Nano Flower
Thank you for posting this challenge where I can include so many many books already chosen for my reading this year,which didnt fit in other challenges.Its going to be a great year,I think! :0)
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-14 1:45 AM (#6061 - in reply to #6057)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Dusty! The challenges have opened me up to many new authors, but I thought it'd be nice to have a challenge that gives focuses on following up on some of the authors I've discovered and loved. Two of the books I have in my challenge are other books from authors I read for WOGF 2013. And from the Hugos, I'm all about Clifford Simak and Connie Willis.
Linguana
Posted 2014-01-15 3:19 AM (#6087 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I love this challenge.
Most of us here know how new publications can get in the way of favorite authors and their backlist. I discovered so many great writers last year in the WoGF challenge and promised myself I'd read more of them, but never got around to it. Thanks for creating this challenge, it's just the kick in the butt I need.

So far, I put these on my challenge list:
Nalo Hopkinson
China Miville
Guy Gavriel Kay
Margaret Atwood
Sarah Pinborough
Caitln R. Kiernan
Catherynne M. Valente
Terry Pratchett
Lauren Beukes

To be fair, I've been reading Valente and Pratchett non-stop during the last year. But they continue to be amazing and have written quite a lot of books, and thus need to be in this challenge.

Which leads me to my questions:
Is it okay to have read quite a few books by a writer already but still using one of their books for this challenge? I've read a handful of Discworld novels but I still get that feeling of having to read all of them.
And secondly: What if I discover an author in 2014 that fits this challenge. A great writer whose other books I immediately want to read. Would that count?

spoltz
Posted 2014-01-15 12:01 PM (#6097 - in reply to #6087)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Linguana,

Welcome to the challenge! The spirit of the challenge is to take the time to read books by authors you love, which you might not have without challenging yourself. And part of the point of the challenge for me was to be able to count towards a WWEnd challenge the four books I need to read to finish my personal Hugo challenge.

That said, in regards to your first question, I have Connie Willis and Vernor Vinge books on my list, even though I've previously read two books by each. And I noticed one participant has the 6th Harry Potter book, so more than likely, he's read the first five. So I think it's okay to read more books by Pratchett and Valente.

For your second question, you already have nine authors listed. If you only read one book by each, you only have three slots left. If you read more than one or books by Pratchett, Valente, etc., you have no room in the challenge for new authors discovered this year. So the question may be moot. But for argument's sake, let's say you find an author you just HAVE to read more of this year. Don't count the first book, but count the subsequent books.

Thanks for your questions! You brought up great points that I hadn't thought through.

Linguana
Posted 2014-01-15 2:43 PM (#6102 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Thank you.
Now I'm super excited and don't know which book to pick first.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-15 3:53 PM (#6103 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yes, I'm up to the sixth Harry Potter and since I started (a few years back) I'd like this to be the year I finish the series. I'd also like to get up to date with Vorkosigan series. More Charles Stross ( I have a bunch on my TBR), more Atwood including some that won't be on the DB like Alias Grace and The Robber Bride. And more Robert Holdstock who I first read last year and who was a wonderful find.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-16 1:38 PM (#6122 - in reply to #6103)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks for joining Justified. Good luck in the challenge! I added myself to your Second Best challenge :-) I've had my eyes on quite a few also-rans lately.
gallyangel
Posted 2014-01-16 5:34 PM (#6127 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

If you liked "The Graveyard Book" then Coraline should be added to the lists as well. Can't recommend it highly enough.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-17 4:47 AM (#6131 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

....black button eyes...aarrgghh!
Tantara
Posted 2014-01-22 9:57 PM (#6211 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

This challenge fits so well with my planned reading this year. I just had to sign up! Thanks for hosting.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-23 8:31 AM (#6214 - in reply to #6211)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Tantara! Enjoy the challenge!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-01-27 8:33 PM (#6256 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm working on my first challenge book tonight - Summer Knight (Dresden Files). I've been trying to get to the Dresden series for 2 years. I buy the audiobooks and then never get to it. Listened to the first 3 this past summer. I thought I had read 4, but now that I'm a few hours in, I have no recollection of the story, so I think 3 was the last reread. My goal is to get caught up before the next book comes out. I'll have to think of the next author. I have so many to get to.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-27 11:32 PM (#6257 - in reply to #6256)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome aboard ManyMoons! I've been thinking about picking up the Dresden Files books for a while. I know lots of people that absolutely love them. Good luck in your challenge and have fun!
jfrantz
Posted 2014-02-06 7:30 PM (#6376 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

This challenge is too hard to choose books for :-)

I've started PKD's A Scanner Darkly. I'd really like to read some fantasy from Zelazny. More Simak for me too. Beyond that, it's going to be really hard to choose!

Nice Challenge Steve!

- Jeremy
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-07 10:34 AM (#6380 - in reply to #6376)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks Jeremy! I'm glad you're able to join the challenge. I've been wanting to read more Zelazny myself. "Lord of Light" is one of my all-time favorites. And I definitely need to read more PKD. Interestingly, the two of them wrote a book together, "Deus Irae". A friend of mine from work is a big Zelazny fan and really liked it.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-07 6:13 PM (#6386 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Read 'Deus Irae' many moons ago. Don't remember much about it except it would be good for the End of the World challenge.
pauljames
Posted 2014-02-08 4:16 AM (#6399 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I have just finished Hyperion and am trying to think what I would like to say in my review. It is definitely one of the best books I have read.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)