open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Administrator)

2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2014-02-08 10:01 AM (#6403 - in reply to #6399)
Subject: Re: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I really enjoyed Hyperion. I don't have any Simmons books on my list, but I definitely want to read more of him. I enjoyed the horror/SF combination.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Allie
Posted 2014-02-13 12:18 PM (#6460 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

This challenge is such a good idea. There are so many authors that have more books I've been meaning to get around to and just haven't yet; N.K. Jemisin, Jon Armstrong, Lauren Beukes, Karen Lord, James S.A. Corey, Christopher Barzak, Mary Gentle, Mary Doria Russell, Hannu Rajaniemi... I think this challenge will be easy to pick books for :D.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-02-13 2:15 PM (#6461 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've been thinking about this one today, too, and I've decided to make it my 10th challenge. I've decided to go for 12 different writers, and to ty to make them all people who have a relatively large number of books I haven't read. I made a list of possible candidates, and there about 25 of them so far. I only hope I can get some good crossovers with other challenges, or I'm really in trouble.
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-17 8:13 AM (#6488 - in reply to #6461)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Allie and Doc! I've read many reviews from both of you and have always appreciated them.

I've signed up for three other challenges myself. I figured I'd start there and reevaluate where I am with these in June. If I can l finish a couple of these challenges while working full time and taking an intro to Python programming class, I'll sign up for a few more.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-03-17 9:10 AM (#6725 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

My list of possible candidates for this challenge fall into three categories:

A) Authors I have discovered recently, who have relatively large unexplored backlists full of books in the Lists and Awards. This includes people like Ursula Le Guin, who I'd managed to miss until I read Left Hand of Darkness in my Hugo read-through two or three years ago. (I didn't even like that, much, but fortunately I loved The Dispossessed, which I read a bit later in the same project). Also Connie Willis, and, most recently, Patricia A McKillip.

B) People who I used to follow but inexplicably stopped reading. This includes (for shame) Gene Wolfe and Ken Macleod. I read pretty much everything by Wolfe up to 1994's Calde of the Long Sun, and then nothing at all since, not even the conclusion to the Long Sun series (which I've only recently acquired). My excuse is that he hasn't been well-served by publishers in the UK. Likewise with Macleod, I read everything up to 2002's Engine City, and nothing since. I'm debating whether I should allow Iain M Banks here, but I'm not sure I fell far enough behind. I'll probably include him if it makes the difference between finishing and not finishing.

C) People who I read and liked one or two books by over the years, but never really got stuck in. This includes Adam Roberts and Paul MacAuley, both of whom I read way back when and who went on to have good careers without me really paying attention.

And maybe Alastair Reynolds deserves a special D category: People I consider myself a fan of, but haven't really read all that much by.

Really, I see this challenge as a reason to read things I've been putting off for too long. I mentioned above that I'm going for 12 different writers. I'm already behind schedule, and I'm focusing on the WoGF right now, but I'm looking forward to getting going on this one.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-17 12:56 PM (#6727 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

DrNefario,
I like your philosophy. I'm not sure that I could articulate mine as well. I came up with a similar type of philosophy for the Bucket List challenge. However, what you have said just made me come up with one rule for me: I should not include books on both this challenge and the Bucket List.
Rhonda
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-03-17 1:36 PM (#6728 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm using my challenge for just one author. I am always randomly picking books and never finish a series. So its Dresden Files. I'm hoping to be caught up before his next book comes out.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-17 2:15 PM (#6729 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

ManyMoons, That is a great approach as well. I've not read any of the Dresden Files, but I always think that I should.
Rhonda
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-04-19 8:13 AM (#7268 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm now more than half way on my goal. Just 4 books left and one, a book of short stories, is already 1/3 done. The next Dresden Files book comes out at the end of May, so I have just under 6 weeks. But, with my other series challenges to finish yet this month, I dunno. I'm not sure I can get those done before then. On the other hand, our late blizzard has delayed the stuff I have to do in the Spring, so maybe.
spoltz
Posted 2014-04-19 9:04 AM (#7269 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

ManyMoons, congrats on your progress. I have two to go, but I just picked up 4 books at the library for other challenges. I've ended up joining 5 other challenges as well, and keep on rearranging my reading list to try to find the optimum combination of books so that have the least number of books to read. And tying that to what I can get from library makes it like a gigantic poker hand. Now that I'm working full time and taking a programming class, I don't have as much time for pleasure reading as I thought I'd have. Yet through all this, I keep trying to see if I can overlap into other challenges.

To all the participants, great job on your progress through the first third of the year on this and all your other challenges!
pauljames
Posted 2014-05-18 11:12 AM (#7720 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I am currently on my 6th book for this challenge and have done 4 reviews. Would like to read and review 12 books for this challenge. Some readers are close to finishing this challenge. Hope everyone achieves their goals and read some great books on the way.
spoltz
Posted 2014-05-18 11:33 AM (#7721 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

It's only May, so you're ahead of the one-a-month game, PaulJames. However, there's a lot of people doing multiple challenges so people who are behind in this challenge may be ahead in others. Some of the books in my challenge were short juvenile books, others are part of other challenges, and I read on my train commute and on my lunch hour, and I was unemployed in January, so I've started out like gangbusters. But I'm always behind in my reviews by about 3 books.

Thanks for participating in this challenge Paul! Good luck on hitting your goal and have fun!
spoltz
Posted 2014-06-05 4:09 PM (#7900 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. We just got our 26th participant about a week ago. And we also have our first finisher, Daxxh. Congratulations! There are several who are within a few of finishing as well. As we approach the halfway mark of the year, I wish everyone continued good wishes and enjoyment on this and all your reading challenges!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-07-01 4:17 PM (#8045 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I am happy to report that I completed this challenge!! My first! My challenge was to read all the Dresden Files books I had left to read. I still have to read the recently published "Skin Games", and a bunch of short stories, but at least I'm caught up with a challenge. Yay! Looks like there are 3 of us done now,which is pretty good with half the year gone.
spoltz
Posted 2014-07-01 5:00 PM (#8048 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congratulations MM! I finished just about a week or so ago, and Daxxh finished at the beginning of the month. Seeing your row of Dresden books in the Challenge inspired me consider reading the series next year!
pauljames
Posted 2014-07-13 10:24 AM (#8183 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Have recently finished my sixth book and posted my review. Book was hard work, very worthwhile but took me two months. I am quite a slow reader. Only have a couple more books at the moment so need to purchase more to complete this excellent challenge. Probably will try to mix it and read some SF, horror, fantasy.
spoltz
Posted 2014-07-14 10:52 AM (#8184 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Wow, you picked some really long books. First Coldheart Canyon, then Assassin's Quest. Congrats on finishing it. You're halfway there!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-07-14 3:01 PM (#8189 - in reply to #8183)
Quote Reply

Yes, it's so tough to get through some books. Either the plot is very complex, there are a LOT of characters or life is just taking up your time and you can only get a chapter or two in each day.
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-06 5:05 PM (#8684 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to give a 3rd quarter update. Congratulations to Dr Nefario, justifiedsinner, and Arrenby for completing the challenge! That makes 6 finishers so far, including ManyMoons, daxxh, and myself. There are 6 people have 3 or less books left. The rest have a few more :-) and it looks like some never quite got going.

Whether you're almost done or far behind, I hope everyone is enjoying the books they've been able to read so far and looking forward to getting a few more read by the end of the year!

Have fun and have a happy autumn!
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-08 12:23 PM (#8702 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Reviewing the list today, it looks like Couchtomoon just finished as well. Congrats!
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-15 12:32 PM (#8764 - in reply to #8702)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Two items of note.

BadSeedGirl finished the challenge. Congratulations!

And we've just gotten our 27th participant!

Steve
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-10-21 11:05 AM (#8800 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have now officially completed the challenge because I have posted the last review I had written for the books read. I loved this challenge because it gave me an excuse to read some of those authors I had sitting on my wish list but had not touched again!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-10-21 12:11 PM (#8802 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Congratulations Badseedgirl. Also, LOVE your quote. I might have to use that somewhere for a week or two.
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-10 10:38 AM (#8849 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: RE: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Controuble who finished the challenge!
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-28 1:49 PM (#8939 - in reply to #8849)
Subject: RE: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Rhonda K for finishing!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread