open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "At the present rate of progress, it is almost impossible to imagine any technical feat that cannot be achieved - if it can be achieved at all - within the next few hundred years." - Arthur C. Clarke
- (Added by: Administrator)

2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2014-11-28 1:53 PM (#8941 - in reply to #6399)
Subject: Re: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I created two threads outside one, which acknowledged a few more people. So I'll give them recognition within here.

DustyDigger finished a few weeks ago.

We also got a new participant who joined us having already completed the challenge. Scott Laz.

Congrats you two!

And I hope everyone from the US who's participating had a good Thanksgiving!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-30 7:20 PM (#8949 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: RE: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Emil for finishing!
pauljames
Posted 2014-12-06 9:36 AM (#8978 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Am now starting my final book. This is my only challenge and really really enjoyed it. Will post my reviews for those I have not done yet on my next hol. Some books were good some wre very good and some were exceptional. Now gonna read my first book by M John Harrison.
jontlaw
Posted 2014-12-22 6:04 PM (#9038 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Finished. Here they are:

Based on having read C.J. Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy as part of last year's female authors challenge, this year I read the Pride of Chanur and Chanur's Venture, first two of a five-book series. I'll get to the rest next year.

Based on having read the first four last year, also in the female author's challenge, I finished Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series by reading Timeless.

Based on having read Cherie Priest's Boneshaker last year, I read the five remaining books in the Clockwork Century series, and included two here, Dreadnought and Ganymede.

Based on having read the first three books in George Mann's Newbury and Hobbes series, I picked up another series of his and read Ghosts of Manhattan and Ghosts of War.

Based on having read Scott Westerberg's Leviathan earlier this year, I finished the series and read Behemoth and Goliath.

Based on having read Kurt Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan earlier this year, I also read for this challenge (and others) Cat's Cradle, and then also Slaughterhouse Five. And I have most of the rest of his to get to soon.

Based on having once, long ago, read Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and earlier this year Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, I also read for this challenge (and others) A Scanner Darkly. And I have about ten more I'll try to get to next year.

Based on having previously read the entire Father Brown series, among other books by G.K. Chesterton, this year I read The Man Who Was Thursday.

spoltz
Posted 2014-12-23 10:01 AM (#9042 - in reply to #9038)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to jontlaw!
pauljames
Posted 2014-12-24 7:32 AM (#9044 - in reply to #9042)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Recently finished my challenge. Still going to post my reviews for three of the books. Three of the books I read really stood out. Hyperion, Assassin's Quest and The Way of Kings. Will post more of my thoughts on these exceptional books in the future.

I am now working out the details for my own RYO mini challenge next year.
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-24 8:57 AM (#9045 - in reply to #9044)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats Paul!
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-27 9:30 AM (#9049 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: RE: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Allie for finishing!
Allie
Posted 2014-12-27 10:25 AM (#9050 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks! I'm still missing a few summaries that might not make it up until 2015, but they'll be along at some point. Here's my summary:

Based on reading and enjoying Leviathan Wakes, I read the next two books in James S.A. Corey's series. I'm hoping to read Cibola Burn (and whatever the next one is) next year. This series is just so much fun.

Based on enjoying Snow Crash and the Diamond Age, I read Neal Stephenson's Anathem. I loved this one, and am working on finishing my review today. I'm planning on continuing his work with the Baroque Cycle next year.

Based on enjoying Spin and The Chronoliths, I read Robert Charles Wilson's Axis. I'll read the final book of the Spin trilogy, Vortex, next year. I think The Chronoliths is still my favorite of his novels, which I guess means I have weird taste (it seems like everyone I've spoken to likes Spin the best).

Based on enjoying The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, I read the second two books in N.K. Jemisin's fantasy trilogy. I'm now caught up with all her books, but it looks like she has another (The Fifth Season) coming out sometime next year.

Based on enjoying Tim Power's novels (Declare and Anubis Gates), I read Dinner at Deviant's Palace, which is a seriously weird book.

Based on enjoying the first of Valente's YA Fairyland series with cumbersome titles, I read the second one. I thought it wasn't quite as neat as the first, but I still liked it.

Based on my fondness for Discworld, I read Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". There are so many more Discworld novels that I have left to read!

Based on my enjoyment of The Prestige (book & movie), I read Christopher Priest's The Islanders. I thought it was really fun, though it definitely isn't a traditional novel.

Based on my love of Moxyland and Zoo City, I read Lauren Beukes The Shining Girls. It was pretty much a completely different genre (mystery-horror?), and while I enjoyed it... I like Beukes's SF more.

Based on my enjoyment of Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead, I read Two Serpents Rise (the next in his Craft series). I didn't like it as much as the first, but it was still interesting enough for me to want to continue reading his work.

And to Jontlaw: I'm planning to read The Faded Sun next year, it's good to hear that you liked them! I thought the Leviathan trilogy was pretty fun .
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-31 11:37 AM (#9074 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey everyone! It's December 31st and time to wrap up our challenge. We had 16 finishers, though a few of the participants didn't write the request number of reviews. But whether you completed the challenge or just got a few books read, I hope that everyone enjoyed getting a chance to spend more time with authors they may not have read more of without some motivation. By participating in other challenges, I've discovered more new authors, so my own list of authors in whose works I want to delve deeper grows longer and longer. I'll probably run this challenge again in 2015 because I bought 9 used paperbacks at Orycon (the Oregon SF Convention) by classic authors like Silverberg, Delaney, and Simak. I may also be hosting a Tolkien challenge. I want to read The Hobbit and LOTR again, and finally attempt The Silmarillion, his Beowulf translation and analysis, and some of the works his son edited and published. I'm thinking there may be a few other folks in our community who might also like to read some more Tolkien but haven't yet. I hope to see you in one of my challenges next year. If not I'm sure I'll see many of you in the forum.

Thanks again for participating. I wish you all a happy and healthy new year!
pauljames
Posted 2015-01-01 9:49 AM (#9083 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I just realised my favourite books from this challenge are all a part of a series.

I have now finished Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy so have no more of that to look forward to. I will try to read more of her in the future although when I have no idea as my current pace is very slow. I am really looking forward to the follow-ups to Hyperion and The Way of Kings, probably more the latter as the first is such a very dark tale.

I got many new books over the holiday so have a lot to get stuck into for 2015.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-01-01 2:08 PM (#9089 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I had a great time doing this challenge,especially reading Neil Gaiman's books. The Sandman just blew my mind! If I could locate the books,I fancy doing some reading from Clifford Simak this coming year. Hope you will repeat the challenge!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)