open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it. - Stanislaw Lem (The Futurological Congress)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

2014 Fantasia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Emil
Posted 2014-01-10 11:08 AM (#6000)
Subject: 2014 Fantasia
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have a whole host of fantasy books that I just keep on sliding over till the next year, much of them sequels in a series. Before becoming a member of WWEnd I mostly ignored contemporary fantasy, but the site has opened a complete new world to me. Although I still hold a strong preference toward hard-SF, I've come to really enjoy the better works of fantasy.

I decided to open this RYO challenge for myself to force further fantasy reading, particularly the sequels to the series I've already started.

At the same time other WWEnd members may also just want to read 12 fantasy books this year.

Winter is coming, so get on with it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-12 2:30 PM (#6038 - in reply to #6000)
Subject: Re: 2014 Fantasia
Quote Reply

Uber User

They seem to have set up the tick box to include a selection in this challenge in an odd way. Several winners of the Locus Fantasy award are excluded as is Neil Gaiman's Coraline.
Are there rules to this challenge I don't know about?
Emil
Posted 2014-01-24 7:01 AM (#6224 - in reply to #6000)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Not that I know of. Dave reckons there might be a few changes needed to the books' listings to include them into the fantasy genre. Just let him know which ones you are having trouble with, and he'll tag them for fantasy. Also, once you've selected 12 books, you will no longer see the tick box unless you remove a book first.
Scott Laz
Posted 2014-03-10 7:09 PM (#6705 - in reply to #6000)
Quote Reply

Uber User

As another SF reader trying to give myself an education in fantasy, this challenge will work nicely!
dustydigger
Posted 2014-03-21 3:39 AM (#6735 - in reply to #6000)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Same here,Scott,I need to see it there on a challenge page so I will be forced into reading some monster tomes of fantasy.! And I need one more challenge to make an even dozen,so this is ideal.
I really need to sit and ponder just WHY I am so unethusiastic about the fantasy genre.Too many huge tomes? Too many long series which put you off before you start?.Too many magic swords,hidden heirs,warring kingdoms,quasi- mediaeval settings? Too formulaic? I think all of these feature in my reluctance ,and I really need to try some out.
HRO
Posted 2014-03-21 7:25 AM (#6736 - in reply to #6735)
Quote Reply

Uber User

dustydigger - 2014-03-21 4:39 AM

I really need to sit and ponder just WHY I am so unethusiastic about the fantasy genre. Too many magic swords,hidden heirs,warring kingdoms,quasi- mediaeval settings? Too formulaic? I think all of these feature in my reluctance ,and I really need to try some out.

These things really only apply to one subgenre of fantasy: epic and/or heroic fantasy. If these types of books don't appeal to you, try some different subgenres: science fantasy, literary fantasy, contemporary fantasy, dark fantasy, etc. (If you look at the books I chose to read for this challenge, none of them are epic/heroic.)
spoltz
Posted 2014-05-02 4:16 PM (#7498 - in reply to #6000)
Subject: RE: 2014 Fantasia
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Emil,

Just joined your challenge. I've already read 8 fantasy books this year, so I thought I'd join up. Thanks for hosting!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)