open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I can bear anything as long as there are books. - Jo Walton (Among Others)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

The Number of the Counting Shall be 3
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-12 8:15 PM (#6049)
Subject: The Number of the Counting Shall be 3
Quote Reply

Admin

This challenge is to read a trilogy of trilogies and write summary reviews for all three.  That's nine books and 3 reviews in 12 months.  Trilogies are the cornerstone of genre fiction so what better way to celebrate what we love so much than a trilogy challenge.  This one has been designed to play well with the other reading challenges to make it easy to combine books.  Obviously the Book of Ones will work and it's pretty easy to fit it into any of the others without too much mental gymnastics.

So what trilogies are you interested in reading?  How are you going to fit it with your other challenges?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
HRO
Posted 2014-01-12 8:25 PM (#6050 - in reply to #6049)
Subject: Re: The Number of the Counting Shall be 3
Quote Reply

Uber User

Love the challenge name and logo! Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe.

One potential problem I foresee, though, is trilogies that are only listed on WWEnd in the omnibus edition. For example, The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped by Sheri S. Tepper.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-12 8:33 PM (#6051 - in reply to #6050)
Quote Reply

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-12 8:25 PM Love the challenge name and logo! Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe. One potential problem I foresee, though, is trilogies that are only listed on WWEnd in the omnibus edition. For example, The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped by Sheri S. Tepper.

Ha ha!  Thanks!  As you can tell from that and my sig, I'm a huge Python fan.

I hadn't thought of that.  Of course omnibus editions count so if you choose one of those you'll just have one blank filled rather than 3 on the challenge page.  Not a big deal though it does look better to fill all the slots.

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-01-14 1:42 AM (#6060 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

Uber User

So quick question, would you consider "Wool" Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey as a single book or as a series?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-14 8:32 AM (#6064 - in reply to #6060)
Quote Reply

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2014-01-14 1:42 AM So quick question, would you consider "Wool" Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey as a single book or as a series?

I think the Wool omnibus is a collection of shorter works in which case I'd call it a single volume.  At least that's what it looked like when I put it in our DB with the sequels Shift and Dust which make up the Wool Trilogy which seems to make the case that it's only one part of the 3 book series.  I'm not sure about that though since the author says it's 5 books but that the first one was a short and it was apparently released in installments online originally.  Of course it's 550 pages which is a pretty big book.  Perhaps somebody familiar with the books will chime in and let us know for sure.

HRO
Posted 2014-01-14 8:45 AM (#6065 - in reply to #6051)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-12 9:33 PM

Of course omnibus editions count so if you choose one of those you'll just have one blank filled rather than 3 on the challenge page. Not a big deal though it does look better to fill all the slots.

Ok, thanks for the info. (I shall refrain from further Monty Python quotes. With difficulty.)
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-01-14 9:55 AM (#6067 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I guess it does not matter in the long run if Wool is one or more books because I chose Lilith's Brood for my Sci-fi pick. I even took up the challenge and added a horror trilogy. Now it is just a matter of finishing all the books. I'm signed up for 3 distinct challenges now and fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew!!
gallyangel
Posted 2014-01-16 5:26 PM (#6126 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

Uber User

In my The 35 Challenge, I have four trilogies lined up for the year. One won't count. (Sob sob.)
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-06 1:28 AM (#6369 - in reply to #6049)
Subject: RE: The Number of the Counting Shall be 3
Quote Reply

Uber User

Please note oh great Administrator that I have accepted thy challenge and have added series for all three categories (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Horror), and two of them are by women authors. Huzzah yells the crowd.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-07 12:29 AM (#6858 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I will be focusing all my reading attention on this list for April. I want to finish two of my three trilogies by the end of April and have the reviews posted. I will be gone 9 days at the end of the month so I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this months reading list! Wish me luck.
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-07 8:31 AM (#6860 - in reply to #6858)
Quote Reply

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2014-04-07 12:29 AM I will be focusing all my reading attention on this list for April. I want to finish two of my three trilogies by the end of April and have the reviews posted. I will be gone 9 days at the end of the month so I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this months reading list! Wish me luck.

You have set a high bar!  Good luck to you!  I'm not doing so well this year with my challenges overall but I'm almost done with my first trilogy so I have high hopes of finishing this one at least.

ManyMoons
Posted 2014-09-20 6:59 PM (#8608 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

I'm on book 8 of this challenge, so I'm getting near done finally. Currently listening to the 40 hour Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb. I still have the 3rd book of Iron Druid to read. I only own the first 3, and hadn't known there were more books, so I consider it a trilogy for the purposes of this challenge. Without this challenge, I would have had a hard time starting this last doorstop!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-10-06 11:14 AM (#8682 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

I'm DONE!!!!! Completed my Challenge!!!! I read the Crystal Line series by Anne McCaffrey, and listened to both the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and the first 3 books of the Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne. So, a fair blend of medium and long books. Yay! Onward to other challenges!

Note: I didn't know there were more books in the Iron Druid series until a month ago.

Edited by ManyMoons 2014-10-06 11:15 AM
Administrator
Posted 2014-10-06 6:17 PM (#8688 - in reply to #8682)
Quote Reply

Admin

ManyMoons - 2014-10-06 11:14 AM I'm DONE!!!!! Completed my Challenge!!!! I read the Crystal Line series by Anne McCaffrey, and listened to both the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and the first 3 books of the Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne. So, a fair blend of medium and long books. Yay! Onward to other challenges! Note: I didn't know there were more books in the Iron Druid series until a month ago.

Congrats, ManyMoons!  Be sure to tell everyone in the other thread about your success and good luck with your other challenges. 

jontlaw
Posted 2014-12-26 6:43 PM (#9048 - in reply to #6049)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Looks like I won't be finishing this challenge this year. My hold up was The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis. The first book was solid, but the second book devolved from sci-fi and world-building into a ridiculously long religious argument. It just killed me! The worst book I've read in years. After that, I just couldn't bring myself to read the third, especially since it's the longest of the three. Maybe I'll try again next year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)