open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: My pass had disappeared. Not that I believed for a moment that this was an accident; in fact, I had suspected for some time now that the Cosmic Command, obviously no longer able to supervise every assignment on an individual basis when there were literally trillions of matters in its charge, had switched over to a random system. The assumption would be that every document, circulating endlessly from desk to desk, must eventually hit upon the right one. A time-consuming procedure, perhaps, but one that would never fail. The Universe itself operated on the same principle. And for an institution as everlasting as the Universe certainly our Building was such an institution the speed at which these meanderings and perturbations took place was of no consequence. - Stanislaw Lem (Memoirs Found in a Bathtub)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

New Stat Type: Sub-genre tags
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

pizzakarin
Posted 2014-04-04 2:03 PM (#6845)
Subject: New Stat Type: Sub-genre tags

Veteran

I joined the beta for a new site called Geek Improvement and, as with any new site, I asked myself what it was giving me that other sites don't. Why should I use that site to track my reading habits instead of (or in addition to) Goodreads or Worlds Without End? The only unique thing I saw was that there was a stat that measured scifi vs fantasy content that I've marked read/played. Goodreads also used to do a piechart on the reading challenge page which showed as a percentage how many books fell into a tag, but it wasn't very helpful.

Bottomline: I would love to be able to see how many books users (including myself) have read in a specific subgenre with maybe a pie chart to put those numbers into perspective.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-06 12:32 PM (#6855 - in reply to #6845)
Subject: RE: New Stat Type: Sub-genre tags

Admin

pizzakarin - 2014-04-04 2:03 PM I joined the beta for a new site called Geek Improvement and, as with any new site, I asked myself what it was giving me that other sites don't. Why should I use that site to track my reading habits instead of (or in addition to) Goodreads or Worlds Without End? The only unique thing I saw was that there was a stat that measured scifi vs fantasy content that I've marked read/played. Goodreads also used to do a piechart on the reading challenge page which showed as a percentage how many books fell into a tag, but it wasn't very helpful. Bottomline: I would love to be able to see how many books users (including myself) have read in a specific subgenre with maybe a pie chart to put those numbers into perspective.

We've always intended to include more statistical breakdowns like you're suggesting though I don't think we considered a pie chart specifically.  I love the idea!  How about this:

- pie one shows your main genre reading stats:  SF, Fantasy and Horror where each pie piece is a link to a page showing all books in the genre that you've tagged as read

- pie two shows a break down of the top 10 sub-genres in SF that you've read again with clickable pieces

- pie three is the same for Fantasy

- pie four is for Horror

You can see a direct comparison between your pies and any other WWEnder's when you check their stats and we can do a WWEnd overall set as well.

Your suggestion is very timely.  We're planning a major overhaul of the My World section right now so you've given us more ideas that play right into that.  More info as it develops.  Thanks!

Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-04-12 9:22 PM (#7093 - in reply to #6845)
Subject: RE: New Stat Type: Sub-genre tags

Uber User

Neat idea!!  (and who doesn't like pie?)

One small issue - since books can be tagged as multiple genres (dark fantasy, sci-fantasy, even dark sci-fi?), the wedges of pie one (and the other pies as well) can add up to more than 100%.  I suppose that this could be normalized though (as an example, original percentages of, say, 60%, 40%, 5% would be normalized to 57.14%, 38.10%, 4.76%).  Anyhow, just wanted to mention it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)