open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: My pass had disappeared. Not that I believed for a moment that this was an accident; in fact, I had suspected for some time now that the Cosmic Command, obviously no longer able to supervise every assignment on an individual basis when there were literally trillions of matters in its charge, had switched over to a random system. The assumption would be that every document, circulating endlessly from desk to desk, must eventually hit upon the right one. A time-consuming procedure, perhaps, but one that would never fail. The Universe itself operated on the same principle. And for an institution as everlasting as the Universe certainly our Building was such an institution the speed at which these meanderings and perturbations took place was of no consequence. - Stanislaw Lem (Memoirs Found in a Bathtub)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Welcome!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 7:25 AM (#5941 - in reply to #5938)
Subject: Re: Welcome!
Quote Reply

Admin

thecynicalromantic - 2014-01-08 6:43 AM Will there be a thread where we can request adding books to the database like there was for the WOGF 2013?

There is a general request thread that you can use for now.  We're actually working on a book request form that will streamline things quite a bit.  Last year I got requests in multiple threads and via email etc. and it was a lot of work to organize etc.  The new form will create a first-come first-served list that will be easier to track.  There will be a flag so you can let us know if it's a challenge request versus a general request and we'll weight the challenge books more so we can try to be timely with delivery on those.

Now here's the best part.  We're getting closer to opening up the site for user submission of books so there will be a handful of select Uber User volunteers with access to help us keep up with the requests.  Should make things go much faster so keep an eye out for those new developments in the next few weeks.  Fingers crossed!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
gloker
Posted 2014-01-11 2:01 PM (#6015 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

I would like to request the addition of a book Nancy' Farmer's "Lord of Opium" sequel to her "House of Scorpion" which you do have listed. Is it too early to start making these requests for additions & is this forum thread where I should place the requests?

This is so cool>>>I am going crazy all ready!! I signed up for three challenges...and I can see two more that I would love to add, but I barely got through last year's (my first time) and did not write the reviews I had all the best intentions for... I am personally challenging myself to write the reveiws this time! thanks for all the work to keep this site so active, informative and fun!!
Dlw28
Posted 2014-01-11 9:49 PM (#6028 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Is this the correct place to ask for an author to be added. I'm looking yo have Ted Chiag put on the list. Thanks.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-01-11 10:07 PM (#6029 - in reply to #6028)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for typos... Also the author Kai-Cheung Dung please.
jxilon
Posted 2014-01-15 8:23 AM (#6088 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

New User

Hello,

I wanted to add Nnedi Okorafor's "Who Fears Death" to my list of books for the 2014 Speculative Fiction by Authors of Color Challenge, but I'm not being given the option to do that on the Book's BookTrackr page. I checked and I could add any of her other three books that are listed here on WWEnd, but not that one. I assume there's some kind of glitch here? Or am I missing something?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-15 9:10 AM (#6089 - in reply to #6015)
Quote Reply

Admin

gloker - 2014-01-11 2:01 PM I would like to request the addition of a book Nancy' Farmer's "Lord of Opium" sequel to her "House of Scorpion" which you do have listed. Is it too early to start making these requests for additions & is this forum thread where I should place the requests?

There is a general request thread for now but we'll have a request form to make things easier shortly. 

This is so cool>>>I am going crazy all ready!! I signed up for three challenges...and I can see two more that I would love to add, but I barely got through last year's (my first time) and did not write the reviews I had all the best intentions for... I am personally challenging myself to write the reveiws this time! thanks for all the work to keep this site so active, informative and fun!!

The challenges can be addictive!  I've signed up for 3 already too.  I'm a little afraid of what new challenges will come along that I'll HAVE to join.   I'm glad you're back for more and don't sweat the reviews.  They get easier as you write them... or so I've heard.  Thanks for the kind words about the site.  Our members make it fun to work on.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-15 9:16 AM (#6090 - in reply to #6088)
Quote Reply

Admin

jxilon - 2014-01-15 8:23 AM Hello, I wanted to add Nnedi Okorafor's "Who Fears Death" to my list of books for the 2014 Speculative Fiction by Authors of Color Challenge, but I'm not being given the option to do that on the Book's BookTrackr page. I checked and I could add any of her other three books that are listed here on WWEnd, but not that one. I assume there's some kind of glitch here? Or am I missing something?

That is indeed a glitch!  In our database we tag every book as SF, Fantasy or Horror as a basic category for sorting and tracking etc.  Turns out that we did not mark Who Fears Death as any of those so it was being filtered out for all the challenges.  It's fixed now.  Thanks for letting us know and my apologies for the inconvenience.

dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-16 11:16 AM (#6116 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

When I first chanced upon WWEnd I was drooling over all the lists.I love lists! I envy some of the stats pages of old--timer members,and am busily filling in the lists where I can.I wouldnt mind doing a personal twelve book challenge called ''Pick a List,Any List'' and then try to make some inroads into the list of my choice.I particularly have my eye on the WWEnd Most Read Books list any other participants could do a list of their choice.After all,the lists are the bedrock of WWEnd
Havent the faintest idea how to go about getting on the list though,since I am technologically challenged
Textual
Posted 2014-01-19 8:58 PM (#6170 - in reply to #5904)
Subject: RE: Welcome!
Quote Reply

New User

Hello! I think this challenge is really cool. Is this the right place to make requests? I have one book that I'd very much like added to complete a reading list challenge I'm preparing. Thanks!

X
HRO
Posted 2014-01-24 11:49 PM (#6226 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have a private challenge and when I try to edit it, there seems to no longer be an option to choose between "public" and "private." Am I confuzzled or is this a glitch?
Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-01-26 1:27 AM (#6235 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

A belated congratulations for coming up with this year's challenge format - it's addictive!

I'm considering making a "There's Genre in My Literature!"  challenge, but I might already be overextended with the challenges I've signed up for.  Perhaps if there's interest...

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-26 5:21 AM (#6238 - in reply to #6226)
Quote Reply

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-24 11:49 PM I have a private challenge and when I try to edit it, there seems to no longer be an option to choose between "public" and "private." Am I confuzzled or is this a glitch?

That is a glitch.  Or we've got pixlexia.  I'll have whargoul look at the code.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-26 5:54 AM (#6239 - in reply to #6235)
Quote Reply

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2014-01-26 1:27 AM

A belated congratulations for coming up with this year's challenge format - it's addictive!

I'm considering making a "There's Genre in My Literature!"  challenge, but I might already be overextended with the challenges I've signed up for.  Perhaps if there's interest...

Thanks very much!  It really is addictive, isn't it?

There's Genre in My Literature! sounds like a cool idea.  If you're worried about taking on too much you can always make it a short challenge.  Most of the challenges seem to be sticking with the default 12 books.  Why not just 6 or even 3?

HRO
Posted 2014-01-26 5:59 AM (#6240 - in reply to #6238)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-26 6:21 AM That is a glitch. Or we've got pixlexia. I'll have whargoul look at the code.

Quick! Call out the devil dogs!

HRO
Posted 2014-01-27 5:01 PM (#6253 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ok, now, here's a weirdness. I created a challenge that I plan to launch later in the year. I set it to "private" expecting to change that setting later closer to the challenge start date. And now it's vanished. *cue eerie music* It's not on the list of challenges, I can't add books to it. It's just....gone. I assume it will appear on the scheduled date but what if I want to edit it or delete it or whatever? And why can't I add books to it in advance?

(I have another private challenge and it appears on the list of challenges (though it's not included in the count and I assume no one else sees it). So I'm guessing the problem is the date and not the private setting.)

Edited by HRO 2014-01-27 5:03 PM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-28 8:24 AM (#6258 - in reply to #6253)
Quote Reply

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-27 5:01 PM Ok, now, here's a weirdness. I created a challenge that I plan to launch later in the year. I set it to "private" expecting to change that setting later closer to the challenge start date. And now it's vanished. *cue eerie music* It's not on the list of challenges, I can't add books to it. It's just....gone. I assume it will appear on the scheduled date but what if I want to edit it or delete it or whatever? And why can't I add books to it in advance? (I have another private challenge and it appears on the list of challenges (though it's not included in the count and I assume no one else sees it). So I'm guessing the problem is the date and not the private setting.)

Well, that's an unexpected occurance.  I've gone into the DB and set the start date to 1/1/2014 so you can at least see it again while whargoul looks into the issue today.  The list option will show on the novel page now so you can load it up.

Yeah, the private challenges can't be seen by others and they don't count in the stats.  There are only 3 right now which is a bit surprising to me.  I thought there would be more but I guess with 20+ public challenges going there's lots to choose from already.

HRO
Posted 2014-01-28 8:31 AM (#6260 - in reply to #6258)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-28 9:24 AM   Well, that's an unexpected occurance.  I've gone into the DB and set the start date to 1/1/2014 so you can at least see it again while whargoul looks into the issue today.  The list option will show on the novel page now so you can load it up.

Thanks for addressing this issue! Appreciate it muchly!

HRO
Posted 2014-02-04 5:43 AM (#6338 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I submitted book requests using the new form feature and got a "Down For Maintenance" message. Does that mean the requests were not submitted?
HRO
Posted 2014-02-04 6:18 AM (#6342 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Just for curiosity, I submitted my requests a second time and again got a "Down for Maintenance" message. Everything else on the site seems fine so I think the problem is with the form submission.
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-04 8:01 AM (#6345 - in reply to #6338)
Quote Reply

Admin

HRO - 2014-02-04 5:43 AM I submitted book requests using the new form feature and got a "Down For Maintenance" message. Does that mean the requests were not submitted?

Yeah, the form is not complete and shouldn't be out on the live site.  We made some updates to the page and forgot to remove the form link before we deployed.  I'll take it down shortly.  Sorry to get your hopes up. 

HRO
Posted 2014-02-04 10:19 PM (#6350 - in reply to #6345)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-02-04 9:01 AM Yeah, the form is not complete and shouldn't be out on the live site.We made some updates to the page and forgot to remove theform link before we deployed. I'll take it down shortly. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Okie dokie. I'll be patient.
HRO
Posted 2014-03-23 7:46 AM (#6742 - in reply to #6238)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-26 6:21 AM

HRO - 2014-01-24 11:49 PM I have a private challenge and when I try to edit it, there seems to no longer be an option to choose between "public" and "private." Am I confuzzled or is this a glitch?

That is a glitch. Or we've got pixlexia. I'll have whargoul look at the code.

Any news on fixing this?
HRO
Posted 2014-07-17 6:18 AM (#8206 - in reply to #6742)
Quote Reply

Uber User

HRO - 2014-03-23 8:46 AM

Any news on fixing this?

Still wondering about this.......
Linguana
Posted 2014-12-06 2:11 PM (#8981 - in reply to #6742)
Quote Reply

HRO - 2014-03-23 1:46 PM

Any news on fixing this?

The same thing happened with my private challenge. I then changed the start date to 2015 and now the challenge has disappeared, or at least it's invisible to me. I hope this can be fixed easily as putting books on the list (long before reading them) is half the fun of these challenges.

I quite look forward to doing my own private (and crazy big) reading challenge next year. RYO has been brilliant and people have come up with such great challenge ideas that there is more than enough inspiration for the 2015 challenge(s).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)