open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." - Arthur C. Clarke
- (Added by: Administrator)

Another Year Another Failure
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

DrEvilO
Posted 2016-11-09 3:12 PM (#14546)
Subject: Another Year Another Failure
Quote Reply

Well looks like I won't be finishing all of the hundred or so books I had committed to earlier in the year. Wish I could see how I did last year. I'm pretty sure I'm improved overall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2016-11-10 7:35 AM (#14549 - in reply to #14546)
Subject: Re: Another Year Another Failure
Quote Reply

Uber User

I think I've finished about 92 works so far, and I've finished the RYO Challenges that finish at the end of the year, but I still have a small handful of books to read to complete my unofficial challenges, and there are a couple of specific books I wanted to read and haven't (usually non-genre, and therefore not part of a challenge.)

I was really intending to cut way down on the challenges so I could read more of what took my fancy rather than always having something I ought to be reading, but I blew that in April when I signed up for the Reddit Fantasy Bingo.

I'm not sure I'm going to make it an official challenge, but one of my main goals next year will be to finish up some series. A couple of my goals this year were about new fantasy writers, which means I've started a lot of series and haven't had time to finish any.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-11-11 3:35 AM (#14553 - in reply to #14549)
Subject: Re: Another Year Another Failure
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I have finished 72/80 of my Pick N' Mix,,so hope to finish despite my knee replacement, new greatgranddaughter and Xmas! lol.
As a whole,I have read a lot less this year,probably I'm 40 books behind last year's tally,and with many real life challenges ahead,I may not do many formal challenges next year.
I have managed to read a reasonable number of Hugo and Nebula winners,so I will continue to read at least one a month. Another area will be reading books of the 90s for the Defining Books challenge,It will be satisfying to finally work my way through that fascinating challenge which I am enjoying very much.To my shame I have read only 24/136 (18%) of the 90s books,so I need to fill some gaps! I have gained a much more solid grasp of the SF genre exploring this challenge,coming across dozens of new authors and some great reads.Thanks to Doc Nefario and of course Jim Harris's lists for this great challenge!

Edited by dustydigger 2016-11-11 3:44 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)