open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum (I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.)" - Ambrose Bierce
- (Added by: Administrator)

Unfinished Business 2017
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

DrNefario
Posted 2017-01-12 9:32 AM (#15054)
Subject: Unfinished Business 2017
Quote Reply

Uber User

This is the discussion thread for the Unfinished Business 2017 challenge:

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/rollyourown.asp?ryo_id=206

The challenge is to read the last book in any series, list, other (non-RYO) challenge, award, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-12 10:05 AM (#15058 - in reply to #15054)
Subject: Re: Unfinished Business 2017
Quote Reply

Veteran

I'm a bit confused by your description. I thought I had it figured out, but then your example threw me. As far as I can tell, this challenge is for finishing things left unfinished? So, if I didn't read three books that I wanted to read for Women of Genre Fiction last year, I could do it this year? Or would this be only from an identifiable group; like, say, all the books on the site written by the SFWA Grand Masters? Would all the C.J. Cherryh books count? Or all the books in the Change series? (I doubt I have enough back catalogue to do it this year, but maybe next year, so I hope to understand.) Thanks!
DrNefario
Posted 2017-01-12 10:55 AM (#15059 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Uber User

All of those things would count, really. I'll try to clarify it when I get some time.

If you had three books left for last year's WoGF, then only the last of the three would count for this challenge. Completing Cherryh's catalogue would count. Completing a particular series would count. Completing the Grand Masters would count. Although if it's the same book for all of those, I guess you can only count it once because the system won't allow you to add it multiple times.

I'm also happy for it to be something that is entirely personal, like clearing a particular shelf of unread books.
Weesam
Posted 2017-01-12 3:22 PM (#15061 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Uber User

OMG I love this challenge. I have a whole bunch of long series I got close to finishing - Harry Dresden, Simon Green's Nightside, and a bunch of others that I only have one book left to read. I was going to add some of them to Pick & Mix, but having a challenge specifically for them is even better.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-13 1:20 AM (#15066 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Thank you, DrNefario, that's awesome! Okay, I am sure to have a huge back catalogue next year, so I hope you'll do it again, mostly from stuff I'm digging into this year: like I will want to finish the Change series, which I'm re-reading because I haven't read anything since the original trilogy, and I'm refreshing details before I get into it, but I'm sure I won't finish all of them this year, so next year they'll be Unfinished Business. And I may polish off the Honorverse. And I might top off the Cherryh catalogue. Or maybe I'll finally finish all the Pern books that were actually written by Anne McCaffrey. And if Rothfuss ever finishes the third f&*%ing book, I'll be reading that one. Lots of options!

Edited by Sable Aradia 2017-01-13 1:27 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2017-02-14 12:52 PM (#15288 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read "The Wind Through the Keyhole" by Stephen King, and so have officially finished the "The Dark Tower Series."
dalex
Posted 2017-03-12 10:10 AM (#15442 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I'm not entirely certain I understand the full extent of this challenge but I have joined nevertheless. I have been working on reading all the genre books that have been nominated for the Baileys Prize (aka the Orange Prize aka the Women's Prize for Fiction). I only have a few left from the older lists, most of which I've included as my choices for this challenge - The Country of Ice Cream Star, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, The Bees, and The Shore. And I've also included two titles that were longlisted for this year's prize - The Lonely Hearts Hotel and The Power.

Good luck to all the participants in the challenge. Happy reading!
DrNefario
Posted 2017-03-13 7:16 AM (#15449 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Strictly speaking it should only be whichever one of those books you read last that counts for this challenge. One day I might get around to rewriting the explanation like I said I would a couple of months ago.

Each book should complete a set.

I just finished John Christopher's Tripods Trilogy yesterday, with The Pool of Fire, for my second book. There are four books listed for the series on WWE, but the fourth is a much later prequel which seems kind of optional, and anyway it was an omnibus so could be counted on that basis. I enjoyed it. Not too demanding, but well-written, and a nice little two-day quickie after three weeks reading James Clavell's Shogun. I'm moving straight on into another series-concluder: The Other Wind by Ursula Le Guin. I guess the Earthsea series kind of has three endpoints - the original trilogy; the first four books; and all six books of the canon - but this is the final final book. So far.
devilinlaw
Posted 2017-04-03 1:13 PM (#15539 - in reply to #15054)
Quote Reply

Veteran

i've read Star Wars: Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber for this challenge to finish out the Star Wars "Legends" series Death Troopers. Death Troopers is a zombie book in the Star Wars universe starring Han Solo & Chewbacca (no kidding). Red Harvest tells the story of the Sith Lord that developed the virus thousands of years previously during the Old Republic era. Thin plot and thinner characters in this one & not even as much gore as Schreiber's other Star Wars entries.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)