open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Someday my father would stop writing science fiction, and write something a whole lot of people wanted to read instead. -- Leon, son of Kilgore Trout, in Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Entering book read and owned
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

wweBrian
Posted 2018-01-10 7:23 AM (#16700)
Subject: Entering book read and owned

Is there a fast track method of entering the books I own and have read?

I have a large library of Sci-fy books ( All the Hugos and Nebulas) plus many many more. I am finding the scrolling through the lists of books and updating them one by one quite tedious?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-01-10 8:38 AM (#16701 - in reply to #16700)
Subject: RE: Entering book read and owned

Admin

wweBrian - 2018-01-10 7:23 AM Is there a fast track method of entering the books I own and have read? I have a large library of Sci-fy books ( All the Hugos and Nebulas) plus many many more. I am finding the scrolling through the lists of books and updating them one by one quite tedious?

Unfortunately we don't have a fast track option for getting books added to your list.  It is a tedious process but it's a one time thing.

If you just want to tag books as read and owned there is a slight shortcut.  Go to the Advanced Search page (link in the header next to the search box) and check Hugo in the awards list (be sure to uncheck All Awards) then hit the search button.  You'll get a list of 309 results (may take awhile) and in that list you can scroll down to the BookTrackr box and check off read and owned for all the ones you want.  No submit required.  Then do the same for Nebula etc.

The down side is that you can't tag sub-genres or rate the book from there or do many of the other BookTrackr actions so your tagging will be incomplete.

We're working on a new version of the site that will have better functionality for tagging books but that's still some months away.

Good luck!

wweBrian
Posted 2018-01-10 10:13 AM (#16702 - in reply to #16700)
Subject: Re: Entering book read and owned

Thanks for the response. So many of these books I read decades ago and it would be hard for me to put a rate on them.
But I will try your shortcut.
wweBrian
Posted 2018-01-11 7:03 AM (#16709 - in reply to #16702)

Ok Great that does help a lot.

I am curios as to why it takes so long to generate the list of 309 Hugo's or Nebula's etc.

I ask because I am a SQL Server Database Administrator with over 25 year experience with relational databases.
Administrator
Posted 2018-01-11 10:25 PM (#16716 - in reply to #16709)

Admin

wweBrian - 2018-01-11 7:03 AM Ok Great that does help a lot. I am curios as to why it takes so long to generate the list of 309 Hugo's or Nebula's etc. I ask because I am a SQL Server Database Administrator with over 25 year experience with relational databases.

Old code that has not been updated in many years.  We're hip deep into a total re-write of the site and everything will be much faster and way more efficient.  Hopefully

ebresie
Posted 2019-02-16 9:20 AM (#20735 - in reply to #16700)

New User

Could you just have a under the cover radio/check box for each book on a booklist with some additional addl buttons or that same dialog for individual and iterate through each selected item
ebresie
Posted 2019-02-16 9:23 AM (#20736 - in reply to #16700)

New User

And in a similar vein could you basically add someone else?s booklist as a favorite so it shows under my profile?
Administrator
Posted 2019-02-20 12:30 AM (#20763 - in reply to #20735)

Admin

ebresie - 2019-02-16 9:20 AMCould you just have a under the cover radio/check box for each book on a booklist with some additional addl buttons or that same dialog for individual and iterate through each selected item
The new site will have a modal that pops up to let you tag everything right there on the page. Should address most tagging issues we have.
Administrator
Posted 2019-02-20 12:32 AM (#20764 - in reply to #20736)

Admin

ebresie - 2019-02-16 9:23 AM And in a similar vein could you basically add someone else?s booklist as a favorite so it shows under my profile?

On the new site you'll be able to follow other people so you can get to their lists easily and you'll also be notified when they make changes to their lists too.

I like your idea about adding another WWEnder's list to your own lists. I think we should be able to do that fairly easily. Thanks for the great idea.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)