open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Even a poet cannot get everything right. - Ursula K. Le Guin (Lavinia)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

The Yiddish Policeman's Union
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-06-21 11:26 PM (#1398)
Subject: The Yiddish Policeman's Union

Admin

so The Yiddish Policeman's Union has won the Locus SF award to go along with the Nebula.  it's also up for Campbell and Hugo.  what are the chances of a sweep?  i'm going to have to move this one up my list if this keeps up.

has anybody read this one yet?  can it live up to the growing hype?

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2008-06-26 2:56 PM (#1404 - in reply to #1398)
Subject: RE: The Yiddish Policeman's Union

Uber User

Other than knowing that the Coen's are signed on to adapt a movie, I've actually heard very little on this book, or the author. I'll read it, eventually, preferably before a movie is made. I just purchased a whole bunch of books, and that wasn't one of them. I'm currently reading From The Notebooks Of Dr. Brain, but I'm 54 pages in, and still not interested in it. I have so many books, I'm thinking of putting this one down, and starting another, something that I normally don't do.
Deven Science
Posted 2008-07-01 3:26 PM (#1406 - in reply to #1398)

Uber User

So I bought The Yiddish Policemen's Union. I'm reading American Gods right now, but it'll probably be my next one. I'll say this:

The trade paperback is very handsome. Beautiful cover, with rough-edged pages. It looks worth fifteen bucks, at least.
Administrator
Posted 2008-07-01 3:49 PM (#1407 - in reply to #1406)

Admin

dude, very cool.  let me know when you're ready to start Yiddish and i'll read along with you so we can discuss.  anybody else want to join in with our little scheme of marching up and down the square?

i just finished When Gravity Fails.  pretty brutal book.  i gave it a 7.  just could not picture the protagonist as a muslim.  can't decide if that's my fault or the authors.

i'm reading The Big Time now.  pretty good so far.  if it works out timing wise i'll pick up yiddish next.

- dave

i managed to pick up Yiddish from bookins for $4!  not bad for a brand new hardback.  schweet!  course i gotta wait a couple weeks but that gives me time to finish big time and the asimov's i picked up yesterday.

Deven Science
Posted 2008-08-01 2:54 PM (#1418 - in reply to #1407)

Uber User

I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union now. I was gone for a couple of weeks, and I actually got well into it, but now that I'm back home, the reading will probably slow down enough for you to catch up, if you want.
Administrator
Posted 2008-08-01 7:43 PM (#1421 - in reply to #1418)

Admin

very cool.  i'll make a start tonight!  how far are you into the book?

i just started Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow but i'm only a few chapters in so i can put that aside for now.

- dave

Deven Science
Posted 2008-08-04 11:25 AM (#1424 - in reply to #1421)

Uber User

I'm in the two hundreds, but at home, Iget t oread so little, that you can probably catch up.
Deven Science
Posted 2008-08-11 11:59 AM (#1426 - in reply to #1421)

Uber User

Well, it just won the Hugo and the Sidewise. This thing is racking up the awards without mercy. I'm on page 300 now, where are you at, Dave?

As I'm reading, once in a while I wonder how the Coen's will translate certain scenes into the movie version.
Administrator
Posted 2008-08-11 1:39 PM (#1427 - in reply to #1398)
Subject: Re: The Yiddish Policeman's Union

Admin

300! you're getting close to done. i'm only on page 30 or so, i'm afraid. i got distracted with Drogonflight by Anne McCaffrey. i gave it to my wife to read and she read a bit but said she could not get into it. i picked it up to read a few pages, cause i remember liking it a whole lot 20 years ago, and ended up reading the whole damn thing!

i'm back on Yiddish now tho. i'll get some in tonight. just how many awards can this book win? an impressive run to be sure!

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)