open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Liberty is a bitch that must be bedded on a mattress of corpses. -- Lily (Penny Dreadful)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Is completing lists a thing?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

SSSimon
Posted 2020-11-05 12:39 AM (#22590)
Subject: Is completing lists a thing?

Uber User

I've just finished Dhalgren and with that have completed reading all the novels on the Locus Best SF Novels of All-Time list. Sure, it's a bit dated and not as representative as, say, The Classics of SF, but it largely coincided with my tastes and it's one of the shorter lists. This made it a good, easy target. As a next challenge I want to complete the abovementioned classics list.

I was wondering, has any one else completed this list? Are there other obsessive list-completioners out there? Do you think it's a good challenge to complete such lists?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2020-11-05 1:30 PM (#22591 - in reply to #22590)
Subject: RE: Is completing lists a thing?

Admin

SSSimon - 2020-11-05 12:39 AM I've just finished Dhalgren and with that have completed reading all the novels on the Locus Best SF Novels of All-Time list. Sure, it's a bit dated and not as representative as, say, The Classics of SF, but it largely coincided with my tastes and it's one of the shorter lists. This made it a good, easy target. As a next challenge I want to complete the abovementioned classics list. I was wondering, has any one else completed this list? Are there other obsessive list-completioners out there? Do you think it's a good challenge to complete such lists?

Congrats on finishing the list, Simon! I think any time you complete a list or award it's a pretty big deal. I know several of the Ubers have completed that list but I'm not sure how many members overall have. "Obsessive list-completioners" is just another name for genre fans.

The completion of lists and awards is something that we want to make a bigger deal out of with the new site. It's a pretty cool accomplishment so we want to recognize that and let our members show off a bit by giving out badges. Those will be a lot of fun when they start filling in. If you get one you'll go into a badge club along with all the other folks who have completed that list so you can see who else has it and even who else is close to earning that badge do you can encourage them to keep reading etc. Something to look forward to. (And, no, I don't have a timeline unfortunately. We're getting closer but in little tiny baby steps.)

SSSimon
Posted 2020-11-06 12:58 AM (#22594 - in reply to #22590)
Subject: Re: Is completing lists a thing?

Uber User

Thanks, badges are a great idea. Good luck with the new site! I'm sending a small donation your way.
Administrator
Posted 2020-11-08 11:07 AM (#22601 - in reply to #22594)

Admin

SSSimon - 2020-11-06 12:58 AM Thanks, badges are a great idea. Good luck with the new site! I'm sending a small donation your way.

Thanks so much for the contribution! I'm really excited about the badges as they're going to be a lot of fun for our members. If you'd like a Skype tour of the new site just let me know and I can show you how the badges will play out. Thanks again!

dabeef111
Posted 2020-12-17 12:03 PM (#22706 - in reply to #22590)

I'm pretty list obsessive (hence why I spend so much time on here), but there are always going to be books on the lists that just dont interest me. I just have no interest in reading any SF from before 1940. And Dhalgren is one of those rare classics I'm fine leaving blank on a list since I know its definitely not for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)