open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

Adding lists and series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

htaccess
Posted 2009-12-23 3:45 PM (#1740)
Subject: Adding lists and series

Veteran

Hi

First up I love the concept of this site, the way the book tracker works and the ability to browse by awards, by authour etc. I am hooked but there is one request that would make a big difference to me personally.

I have been working my way through the SF Master Works Series and plan to make my way through David Pringle's Best 100 Science Fiction Novels. My request is that you add these two lists to the site.

I realize the premise for this site is to cover awards, but the overriding goal is to help find quality SF/Fantasy to read and then help keep track of what you have read and want to read. If you have a look at the list you will see there is already considerable overlap and I would argue that the books that are missing would not be out of place featured on this site.

Obvously it presents a problem for navigatiion and site layout to add lists as the currently the focus is on awards. The other problem is if you add lists you may get people requesting other series and lists which may not include notable material so you would then need a criteria for list acceptance.

I guess my point is that I am going to be reading these books anyway and would love to be able to use this site to track them. I also believe the books in these two lists would fit bill in terms of good SF and other members would find them valuable additions.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-12-23 9:12 PM (#1743 - in reply to #1740)
Subject: RE: Adding lists and series

Admin

htaccess,

I really love the SF Masterworks Series and the Fantasy series as well.  Some really great books in there.  You're right about the overlap.  I'd guess that about 75% of the books on the list are already in our DB which is convenient as that's fewer books for me to have to track down.

The purpose of WWEnd is to present the best books in the genre so those books would fit perfectly with what we are trying to accomplish.  So, in theory, I'd love to have those lists on the site in some fashion but our time and manpower resources are very limited.  Add to that our current list of improvements is quite long as is.

I know exactly how we could get it done but time will be the limiting factor.  One of the improvements I'm pushing for now is better tagging capability.  Right now we can tag books by series name but that's it.  What we want to eventually do is allow unlimited tags for every book.  We could tag the universe the books belong to, the series, alternate series names etc. that would make for better cross referencing.  If we can get that done we can also tag the books that are part of the Masterworks series so you'd be able to get just a list of them in a search result table.  That way we could have as many worthwhile lists as we can find.  We could poll our members to decide which ones are important.  Then it would be a simple process to create a clickable list of lists for our members to explore etc.

So, to sum up, it's a great idea and we'd love to do it but I can't give you any time frame for when we'll get it done but we will eventually make it happen.  It helps to know what people want to see on WWEnd so thanks for the input!  I'll keep you posted here when we have any developments to report.

Administrator
Posted 2009-12-26 7:53 PM (#1745 - in reply to #1740)
Subject: Re: Adding lists and series

Admin

Well, after reviewing the SF Masterworks list in detail it seems that my 75% estimate was way off. We've only got 42 of the 73 volumes in our database right now which is a mere 58%. That leaves me with 31 books still to add. Sheesh. I'll add those books to my list and start plugging them in.

htaccess
Posted 2009-12-28 4:55 PM (#1746 - in reply to #1745)

Veteran

Hi

Great! I look forward to seeing the missing books from the SF Masterworks appear. Also look forward to the implementation of a generic tagging interface. Thanks!
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-28 4:57 PM (#1747 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

For reference here is David Pringle's Best 100 Science Fiction Novels:

1. George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four
2. George R. Stewart - Earth Abides
3. Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles
4. Robert A. Heinlein - The Puppet Masters
5. John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids
6. Bernard Wolfe - Limbo
7. Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man
8. Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
9. Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End
10. Charles L. Harness - The Paradox men
11. Ward Moore - Bring the Jubilee
12. Frederik Pohl & C.M. Kornbluth - The Space Merchants
13. Clifford D. Simak - Ring Around the Sun
14. Theodore Sturgeon - More than Human
15. Hal Clement - Mission of Gravity
16. Edgar Pangborn - A Mirror for Observers
17. Isaac Asimov - The End of Eternity
18. Leigh Brackett - The Long Tomorrow
19. William Golding - The Inheritors
20. Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
21. John Christopher - The Death of Grass
22. Arthur C. Clarke - The City and the Stars
23. Robert A. Heinlein - The Door Into Summer
24. John Wyndham - The Midwich cuckoos
25. Brian W. Aldiss - Non-Stop
26. James Blish - A Case of Conscience
27. Robert A. Heinlein - Have Space-Suit -- Will Travel
28. Philip K. Dick - Time Out of Joint
29. Pat Frank - Alas, Babylon
30. Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz
31. Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan
32. Algis Budrys - Rogue Moon
33. Theodore Sturgeon - Venus Plus X
34. Brian W. Aldiss - Hothouse
35. J.G. Ballard - The Drowned World
36. Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
37. Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle
38. Robert Sheckley - Journey Beyond Tomorrow
39. Clifford D. Simak - Way Station
40. Kurt Vonnegut - Cat's Cradle
41. Brian W. Aldiss - Greybeard
42. William S. Burroughs - Nova Express
43. Philip K. Dick - Martian Time-Slip
44. Philip K. Dick - The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
45. Fritz Leiber - The Wanderer
46. Cordwainer Smith - Nostrilia
47. Philip K. Dick - Dr Bloodmoney
48. Frank Herbert - Dune
49. J.G. Ballard - The Crystal World
50. Harry Harrison - Make Room! Make Room!
51. Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
52. Roger Zelazny - The Dream Master
53. John Brunner - Stand on Zanzibar
54. Samuel R. Delany - Nova
55. Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
56. Thomas M. Disch - Camp Concentration
57. Michael Moorcock - The Final Programme
58. Keith Roberts - Pavane
59. Angela Carter - Heroes and Villains
60. Ursula K. Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness
61. Bob Shaw - The Palace of Eternity
62. Norman Spinrad - Bug Jack Barron
63. Poul Anderson - Tau Zero
64. Robert Silverberg - Downward to the Earth
65. Wilson Tucker - The Year of the Quiet Sun
66. Thomas M. Disch - 334
67. Gene Wolfe - The Fifth Head of Cerberus
68. Michael Moorcock - The Dancers at the End of Time
69. J.G. Ballard - Crash
70. Mack Reynolds - Looking Backward from the Year 2000
71. Ian Watson - The Embedding
72. Suzy McKee Charnas - Walk to the End of the World
73. M. John Harrison - The Centauri Device
74. Ursula K. Le Guin - The Dispossessed
75. Christopher Priest - Inverted World
76. J.G. Ballard - High-Rise
77. Barry N. Malzberg - Galaxies
78. Joanna Russ - The Female Man
79. Bob Shaw - Orbitsville
80. Kingsley Amis - The Alteration
81. Marge Piercy - Woman on the Edge of Time
82. Frederik Pohl - Man Plus
83. Algis Budrys - Michaelmas
84. John Varley - The Ophiuchi Hotline
85. Ian Watson - Miracle Visitors
86. John Crowley - Engine Summer
87. Thomas M. Disch - On Wings of Song
88. Brian Stableford - The Walking Shadow
89. Kate Wilhelm - Juniper Time
90. Gregory Benford - Timescape
91. Damien Broderick - The Dreaming Dragons
92. Octavia Butler - Wild Seed
93. Russell Hoban - Riddley Walker
94. John Sladek - Roderick and Roderick at Random
95. Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun
96. Philip Jose Farmer - The Unreasoning Mask
97. Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - Oath of Fealty
98. Michael Bishop - No Enemy but Time
99. John Calvin Batchelor - The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica
100. William Gibson - Neuromancer
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-28 5:17 PM (#1748 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

Heres a couple of other candidates that look interesting

http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/Lists/ByRank.php
http://www.isfdb.org/topnbal.html
http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank1....
http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank2....

The project by James Wallace Harris is quite interesting and is worth a read:

http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/Essays/Classics_of_SF.html
http://jameswharris.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/twenty-years-ago-the-c...

So many books, so little time....
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-28 5:49 PM (#1749 - in reply to #1748)

Veteran

http://io9.com/5423847/20-best-science-fiction-books-of-the-decade
Administrator
Posted 2009-12-28 7:03 PM (#1751 - in reply to #1740)

Admin

Ah, you have anticipated my next question. I was going to ask what other lists are out there. I can see you're going to try to bury me under books.

I've talked with whargoul and we'll be able to start on the tagging upgrades after the new year starting with the Masterworks series. It'll be interesting to see which books overlap the most on all these lists and compare them to the award winners.
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-28 9:07 PM (#1752 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

Have you though about giving selected users the ability to add books so as to share the load? (Perhaps with a moderation feature to ensure quality.)
Administrator
Posted 2009-12-29 12:05 AM (#1753 - in reply to #1740)

Admin

That's actually on our list of things to do. The problem is you have to add author and publisher info and then there are the 4 cover images for each novel and there are cross reference tables etc. that have to be populated and an interface has to be built to tie it all together so it's a big deal as far as the programming goes. Quality is the main issue for me so we would have to build in a review and release into it for sure. Right now the data goes live immediately when it's added to the DB so we'd have to fix that first.

I wonder how many people would be interested in contributing time and effort to help us build the DB? And how accurate would the content be? The idea has always been there and it's always made me nervous and excited. It would certainly build faster to have some help. I'll have to think about that some more.
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-29 2:24 PM (#1754 - in reply to #1753)

Veteran

I would be happy to help, I expect you will find others. Letting users produce content has some well established precedents on the net. Look at wikipedia or the linux kernel. You could build some sort of ranking or karma system to let a meritocracy of trusted contributors develop so you don't need to vet every contribution which does not scale well.

Its a pity the site is asp on iis or I would volunteer to help out with coding too.
Administrator
Posted 2010-02-28 12:37 AM (#1783 - in reply to #1754)

Admin

Hey htaccess,

It took longer than I had hoped but the SF Masterworks list is now up on the site.  I've been adding the books the last few weeks and we just got the page finished to display them all at once.

I've only read 11 of the books on the list, much to my dismay.  I've got 7 on my to read list now including some Philip K. Dick for my reading challenge.  There is a lot of PKD on the Masterworks list!

Pierre
Posted 2010-03-02 6:08 PM (#1784 - in reply to #1783)

This is an incredible list. Great work to bring these titles to us as well as their cover (original or/and reprint?) artwork.

Well at least I read one and sadly I feel I missed on a lot. Unless you are very, very lucky to have them at your local library (not in my case for the majority), I have not seen them. I'd love to read them all, especially the PKD's, but...?

It is interesting to note many were made (or adapted) into movies. ..A consequence of outstanding storytelling perhaps!

Administrator
Posted 2010-03-02 7:12 PM (#1785 - in reply to #1740)

Admin

Thanks, Pierre. I'm glad everyine seems to be liking the new list.

These editions seem to be somewhat scarce outside the UK which is really too bad. I'll see them at the used bookstore on occasion but not in the library here either. I've found a bunch on Ebay so I'll eventually sucumb to the temptation to collect them. Eh, there are worse habits to have.
Pierre
Posted 2010-03-03 7:21 AM (#1786 - in reply to #1785)

I was thinking about the SF author who influenced me the most, and without hesitation at all, it was Jules Verne. I am surprised he did not make the list, though it probably limits to original english language authors. He certainly was the Father of SF (see Jules Verne in Wikipedia) with notably predicting many of the scientific achievements of the 20th century. I have read a majority of his work, which was a challenge by itself. His greatest and best known classics are certainly at the top of my recommendations (at any age). Any thoughts?
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-03 8:18 AM (#1787 - in reply to #1740)

Admin

The omission of Verne is interesting. I'm not sure how they went about picking the books for the series but Verne would certainly fit in that list. If I had to guess, I'd say they didn't have rights to print it or, as you've suggested, it could be works in translation were left off.

So far, I've only added books by authors that were nominated for the awards we cover. That was to establish a solid foundation of great books. Now I'm putting in lists like the SF Masterworks, and later this week the Fantasy Masterworks, to fill in some gaps in our coverage. Not sure what list is next but I'm sure Verne will eventaully appear on one of these. I think instead of waiting I'll just make Verne the next priority. Thanks for the idea!

By the way, you can see the Fantasy Masterworks books going in every day in the site footer under Recent Additions.  I've got 15 more to go then I'll add the list page to display them.

Pierre
Posted 2010-03-03 9:13 AM (#1788 - in reply to #1787)

Thanks Dave.

I would hope the Verne's classics are readily available in English at your local library, University and bookstores. As wikipedia states, he is the second most translated author of all time after Agatha Christie. What makes reading Verne interesting is also the analysis of his works which, as the Vernians believe, are science facts, not fiction, but that is another subject......
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-03 10:28 AM (#1789 - in reply to #1740)

Admin

No problem with getting our hands on Verne's works in the US. Verne is so common in English that most people are unaware that it's been translated at all. I think most of his books have been made into film too which is where most people know him.
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-05 4:31 PM (#1792 - in reply to #1789)

Veteran

Thanks again for adding them Dave, i think they make a great addition.

In terms of Verne, i had a look at some of the other best lists I posted above to see how he rates. He does not appear at all in David Pringle's Best 100 Science Fiction Novels. He does however have two books in the Classics of Science Fiction list by James Wallace Harris (see http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/Lists/ByRank.php ). They are 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at 52 and A Journey to the Center of the Earth at 83. He does not make ISFDB Top 100 Books either ( http://www.isfdb.org/topnbal.html ). The same two books however do appear in the Sci Fi Lists Top 100 Sci-Fi Books ( http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank1.... ) at 35 and 54.

So there you go
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-05 4:52 PM (#1793 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

I've just been having a look at the lists I mention above, I think they are all worth while lists which would be interesting to track via worldswithoutend.

Looking at those lists got me thinking tho, wheres worldswithoutends list? I'm not entirely sure how you would go about constructing it but I know one is needed

I guess the easiest version would be to just add the scores and divide by the readers, but then a book with one reader who scored it 10 will be artificially inflated .... thoughts?

I think it would be great to have a worldswithoutends top 100 though, I know I would try read them!
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-05 6:38 PM (#1794 - in reply to #1793)

Admin

I forgot to post here that the Fantasy Masterworks list is up and running but you guys have probably already figured that out from the blog or seen the link in the menu.

htaccess: I figured Verne would show somewhere along the way.  One of those lists you mentioned will probably be next after I make the Verne entry.  I'm keen to do the Verne page now.  Wikipedia has 55 books by Verne but I'll probably only add the top ones but we'll see.

I think a WWEnd list is a great idea.  We've got a Top 10 list in the footer but that's not actually accurate anymore.  It's a hard coded list that I put in there some time back to hold the space until we could work out the actual calculations. Like you said, we did not want a book with a single 10 rating to get into a list ahead of a book rated 9 by 50 people.

I suppose the same calculation could be expanded into a list of 50 or maybe 100 books. I'm not sure we have enough members to make the full 100.  May need to start at 50 and expand to make sure the list is meaningful.  It would likely be a dynamic list that would change as WWEnd grows rather than a static list so you'd have to check it every once in a while if you wanted to read them all.  whargoul likes the idea too which is cool cause he has to do the coding.

One thing is for sure, these lists are a great way to get more books on the site outside of the awards.  I'm going to create a new major tab called "SF/F Lists" and move the masterworks into it.  That will create more room for all the new ones to come.  Watch this space!

htaccess
Posted 2010-03-07 5:48 PM (#1795 - in reply to #1794)

Veteran

Awesome, I am really glad you are planning to add more lists, I really like trying to read all the books in a list it gives you a clear goal to work towards. That said I also like goals like reading all the nebula winners, having both awards and lists makes the site much more useful imo.

In terms of the WWEnd list idea, I'm glad you like that too. I would suggest that you make a certain threshold of scores to get on the list, say 5. The list would then be dynamic and would include _all_ the books that have scores over that threshold. Then say once a year you take a snapshot of the list and release that as 'WWEnd 2010 Top 25', 'WWend 2011 Top 50' etc. That way you can have the current list with everything and the snapshots which are kind of featured lists. The featured ones can then grow bigger as WWEnd itself grows, personally i think a top 100 is plenty.

Anyway just throwing ideas out there, keep up the good work!
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-08 12:49 AM (#1801 - in reply to #1795)

Admin

htaccess: I'll take those ideas into consideration. There are certainly a bunch of ways to slice it up.

Here is something we're working on that you'll probably like:

We're also working on allowing members to create their own custom lists. You'd fill out a simple form giving your list a title and optional description (if the title does not tell the whole story or if you want to make a case for your list) and once you submit you would have a new check box, with your list title, that would show on the novel page in the My Book Lists. Then you just check off the the books you want on that list. The books would be displayed in your My World page and once you have your list built you'd be able to mark it as "Public" and it would go into a list of member lists where other members can see it and make comments.

You could create as many custom lists as you want like "Top 20 First Contact Novels" or "The Worst SF Books Ever to Win a Hugo" or "My Picks for the 2010 Hugo Shortlist" or whatever. Anything goes.

So what do you think? Anybody else interested in custom lists?

htaccess
Posted 2010-03-08 1:24 AM (#1802 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

I think that's a pretty cool idea and I'm pretty sure people would use that feature, personally I think I would use it to add any of the lists i mention above that you did not decide to add to the site as a whole.

I do like the idea of people being able to promote their lists on forums etc. For example there could be a best of jules verne or best first contact books lists to go with forum topics. If you do add this feature it would be good to be able to promote a list from a readers list to an "official" list, also you may find you get a lot more requests for books to be added, where the user says I have made list x but WWEnd is missing books y and z, perhaps you could add a request book form?

It may also be kind of cool if users can watch or subscribe to other users public lists, that way you could gauge the popularity of some of the lists out there and potentially upgrade some of them to official lists if necessary.
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-10 6:19 PM (#1806 - in reply to #1802)

Admin

htaccess: I like those ideas a lot. We'll get the custom lists running first and then start adding some of those features. A lot of the ideas you're suggesting kind of fall into another project we've been talking about adding namely, a Buddy List. You'd be able to add other members to your buddy list and would be alerted to their activity on the site. So if they were to create a list and publish it you'd get an PM or email alert so you would not miss it. That may be a way off.

By the way, the lists have been broken out into their own section now. Look for "Book Lists" in the main menu.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)