open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The living tongue that tells the word, the living ear that hears it, bind and bond us in the communion we long for in the silence of our inner solitude. -- Ursula Le Guin (The Wave in the Mind)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Adding lists and series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2011-07-08 10:31 PM (#2496 - in reply to #2495)
Subject: Re: Adding lists and series

Admin

It's fixed now.  Try it and see.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-07-18 3:17 PM (#2510 - in reply to #2496)

Admin

Baen Reader's List of Recommended Military SF

Boo-yah again!  Took way longer than expected but we finally finished the Baen Reader's List of Recommended Military SF.  Check out the blog intro here.  Happy reading.

htaccess
Posted 2011-08-07 6:02 AM (#2568 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/top100.cgi?novel

Note: this is not the same as http://www.isfdb.org/topnbal.html
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-07 10:20 AM (#2570 - in reply to #2568)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-08-07 6:02 AM http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/top100.cgi?novel Note: this is not the same as http://www.isfdb.org/topnbal.html

That's a good list but we've already got the balanced list from ISFDB and I'm not sure this is different enough from that.

Looking around that site I found this list:  ISFDB Top 100 Authors (Balanced List)   and I thought what if we had a WWEnd poll based on this list where members and visitors choose one book for each author on the list?  It would be like having 100 mini-polls where you'd have to vote for 1 book from each author's entire bibliography.  What one book best represents that author's work?

We could call it "100 Best Books by 100 Top Authors" or some such and display them in the same order as the ISFDB list.  It would be one hell of a great list judging by the names on there and a great way to find a book for an author you haven't tried yet.

What do you all think?  Worth the effort?  Would you cast your votes?

Administrator
Posted 2011-08-07 1:45 PM (#2571 - in reply to #2570)

Admin

In case you missed it in the blog we've just added a new list!

Take a look and let us know what you think.  Surprised by any books on the list?  Any books that we've missed?

Rhondak101
Posted 2011-08-08 5:43 AM (#2574 - in reply to #2570)

Uber User

I think that's a great idea. It will be fun.
Rhonda
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-09 8:46 PM (#2575 - in reply to #2574)

Admin

Well, I got one bite.  Thanks, Rhonda.  I think it would be fun and I think the result will be really unique.  It would take at least a few hundred voters to make it worthwhile though.

And now for something completely different...

nate1234
Posted 2011-08-10 2:47 AM (#2577 - in reply to #2575)

nice work.
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-10 12:59 PM (#2580 - in reply to #2577)

Admin

@nate1234:  Thanks, glad you like it!  I mentioned this in the blog so I thought I'd put it here too:

We'll be adding links for connected series soon so you can get to all 3 of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series that fall under different letters in the alphabet.  There are many series of series in the database so this will help you find the ones that go together so you won't end up starting in the middle trilogy.  I'll post here when that's been added.

splunge52
Posted 2011-08-28 10:12 AM (#2602 - in reply to #1740)
Subject: RE: Adding lists and series

Love this site. I'm all about lists.I have another awards list sugestion. I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove and S.M. Stirling,so how about the Sideways Award for Alternate History. It is a new award compared to the others,the first being awarded in 1995.

The most recent was awarded on 8/16 at the 69th Annual World Science Fiction Convention in Reno,NV.

The winner was When Angels Wept:A What-If History of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Eric Swedin
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-28 10:26 AM (#2603 - in reply to #2602)
Subject: RE: Adding lists and series

Admin

splunge52 - 2011-08-28 10:12 AM Love this site. I'm all about lists.I have another awards list sugestion. I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove and S.M. Stirling,so how about the Sideways Award for Alternate History. It is a new award compared to the others,the first being awarded in 1995. The most recent was awarded on 8/16 at the 69th Annual World Science Fiction Convention in Reno,NV. The winner was When Angels Wept:A What-If History of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Eric Swedin

I'm glad you're diggin' the site!  I've been thinking of the Sidewise award and it would be a nice addition.  I'll certainly add it to the list of awards we want to add.  I'm a bit embarrassed that we've only got 1 Turtledove book in our database!  I'll try to get some of his books added here shortly.  Thanks for the suggestion.

htaccess
Posted 2011-10-20 12:15 AM (#2730 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

I saw this one on a forum post but can't seem to find it again to credit whoever mentioned it but I think this list is a pretty good one:

Easton Press Masterpieces of Science Fiction

http://www.keithwease.com/easton.htm

the page has a few lists on it the SF one is down the bottom.

Looks to be very few books not already in the database on there.
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-20 6:18 PM (#2736 - in reply to #2730)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-10-20 12:15 AM I saw this one on a forum post but can't seem to find it again to credit whoever mentioned it but I think this list is a pretty good one: Easton Press Masterpieces of Science Fiction http://www.keithwease.com/easton.htm the page has a few lists on it the SF one is down the bottom. Looks to be very few books not already in the database on there.

We've looked into adding this one before.  I wrote to EP to get a definitive list of the books after finding several conflicting lists around the web and they could not/would not provide such a list.  They told me "we don't keep track of the books we publish" and further admonished me in no uncertain terms that I should in no way claim to have the definitive list as if I was going to try and trade on their reputation.  To be honest, they were rather dickish in their response, when all I wanted was a reliable list, and I just said screw that and moved on to another list.

I thought it strange that they would not want to promote their own books at no cost and very little effort but I'm not surprised anymore.

If you guys like the list we'll get it added.  Especially if it's mostly books we've already got

htaccess
Posted 2011-10-20 8:33 PM (#2737 - in reply to #2736)

Veteran

Seems childish and dumb, having a featured list would bring them exposure and traffic, what business doesn't want that?

That said its still a good list, would prefer to have it vs. not have it.

If it ever does get added I would suggest mentioning their unhelpful attitude in the description!
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-21 8:09 AM (#2739 - in reply to #2737)

Admin

I looked over the EP list you linked to and after removing the duplicates it comes out to 139 books of which we already have 120.  We'll get the remaining 19 added in the next few days and throw the list up.
htaccess
Posted 2011-10-21 5:41 PM (#2742 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

Thanks!

Once again, I would just like to say thanks for being so responsive to your users.
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-21 7:54 PM (#2743 - in reply to #2742)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-10-21 5:41 PM Thanks! Once again, I would just like to say thanks for being so responsive to your users.

You are most welcome!  You guys keep giving us great ideas we'll keep adding 'em.  The lists are one of my favorite features so I'm usually happy to jump on a new one.  It helps when we're most of the way there already.

Here's a new feature we think you're gonna like:  My Series

This is a list of all the SF/F/H series in our database that you have at least 1 book tagged in.  So if you've tagged a book as read, to read or currently reading and it's part of a series, the series will show in this list.  Of course, you have to be a member, you have to have tagged a book that's part of a series and you have to be logged in.

Use this list to find your incomplete series so you can finish them off.  It's great if you've lost track of where you stopped reading or perhaps you caught up to the author and had to wait a few years for the next book so you forgot to go back to it.  I know I found The Boy Who Would Live Forever which is book 5 of the Heechee Saga.  It came out 17 years after book 4 and I thought I had read them all.

You can also use this list to show off all the series you've read to your friends and talk them into joining WWEnd.  Just sayin'

Anyway, check it out and let us know what you think!

Administrator
Posted 2011-10-24 1:33 PM (#2755 - in reply to #2743)

Admin

You asked for it, you got it.  Let us know what you think!

htaccess
Posted 2011-10-24 5:59 PM (#2756 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

Thanks, quick turnaround!

Like I say, regardless of their attitude its a quality list.

hihik
Posted 2011-11-12 10:30 PM (#2785 - in reply to #1740)

Regular

every time i come back to this site you've added something new and i, like a child, 'play' with it thanks so much for 'my series'!
Administrator
Posted 2011-11-12 10:54 PM (#2786 - in reply to #2785)

Admin

hihik - 2011-11-12 10:30 PM every time i come back to this site you've added something new and i, like a child, 'play' with it thanks so much for 'my series'!

Ha, ha!  You are so right!  Of course, you should never really leave this site in the first place

I really dig the My Series too though that page can take some time to load.  We're going to add some filtering to it eventually so you can select completed series, incomplete series and series that you haven't started but have tagged on your reading list.

We've also got a new list coming up in a few days for our YA Genre Fiction Month so stay tuned.

Administrator
Posted 2011-11-15 7:39 AM (#2787 - in reply to #2786)

Admin

Science Fiction for Young Adults: A Recommended List by David Brin

More YA books than you can shake a stick at.

Rhondak101
Posted 2011-11-29 4:36 PM (#2792 - in reply to #2787)

Uber User

Dave, et. al.
Since the recent entries are focused on both YA and series, I was wondering if you'd look at the Tom Dietz books. Dietz's fame was more regional. He wrote some interesting fantansy series with young protagonists that blends Native American (primarily Cherokee) mythology and Welsh mythology in a North Georgia Appalachian location. The two best series are the David Sullivan series and the trilogy that contains Soulsmith, Wordwright and Dreambuilder.

Just a thought,
Rhonda
Administrator
Posted 2011-11-30 8:58 AM (#2793 - in reply to #2792)

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2011-11-29 4:36 PM Dave, et. al. Since the recent entries are focused on both YA and series, I was wondering if you'd look at the Tom Dietz books. Dietz's fame was more regional. He wrote some interesting fantansy series with young protagonists that blends Native American (primarily Cherokee) mythology and Welsh mythology in a North Georgia Appalachian location. The two best series are the David Sullivan series and the trilogy that contains Soulsmith, Wordwright and Dreambuilder. Just a thought, Rhonda

Sounds interesting!  I'll get these added - perhaps this weekend but no promises.

Administrator
Posted 2011-12-20 6:20 PM (#2824 - in reply to #2793)

Admin

Rhonda, Tom Deitz has been added to the database.  His David Sullivan series and Soulsmith Trilogy.  Took a bit longer than I wanted but doesn't everything around here? 
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)