open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I might have made a tactical error not going to a physician for 20 years. It was one of those phobias that didn't pay off." ― Warren Zevon
- (Added by: Acknud)

Adding lists and series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2011-12-21 8:24 AM (#2828 - in reply to #2824)
Subject: Re: Adding lists and series

Uber User

Thanks, Dave. There's a typo in the Dreambuilder title--Dresmbuilder. Otherwise, they look great. Thanks again.
Rhonda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-12-21 9:46 AM (#2829 - in reply to #2828)

Admin

D'oh!  It's fixed now.
htaccess
Posted 2012-01-18 6:02 PM (#2911 - in reply to #2829)

Veteran

Not a bad list here: http://blamcast.net/articles/best-science-fiction-books

Hows http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Fantasy:_The_100_Best_Novels coming along?

I note the wikipedia link is not working right now due to the sopa/pipa protests. Its interesting looking at that the US Govt is trying to do while keeping in mind things like https://www.worldswithoutend.com/lists_banned_sff.asp.

I also note that WWEnd could be "dissapeared" from the internet with no due process or recourse based on an accusation of copyright infringement if these laws pass. I therefore encourage those of you in the US to add your voices in pressuring your representatives to reject these pieces of legislation.
htaccess
Posted 2012-01-18 6:33 PM (#2912 - in reply to #2911)

Veteran

Some context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2dF-IsH0I
htaccess
Posted 2012-01-18 6:46 PM (#2913 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

oh and to tie this all together, here's Cory Doctrow "28c3: The coming war on general computation".

When Clay Shirky talks about being ready for whats coming in the previous clip, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-18 8:56 PM (#2915 - in reply to #2911)

Admin

htaccess - 2012-01-18 6:02 PM Not a bad list here: http://blamcast.net/articles/best-science-fiction-books Hows http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Fantasy:_The_100_Best_Novels coming along? I note the wikipedia link is not working right now due to the sopa/pipa protests. Its interesting looking at that the US Govt is trying to do while keeping in mind things like https://www.worldswithoutend.com/lists_banned_sff.asp. I also note that WWEnd could be "dissapeared" from the internet with no due process or recourse based on an accusation of copyright infringement if these laws pass. I therefore encourage those of you in the US to add your voices in pressuring your representatives to reject these pieces of legislation.

Not a bad list at all.  I've read most of those and a good many would be on my own "best" list.

The Pringle Fantasy has stalled a bit here lately because of the GMRC but I'll pick it back up soon.

It would be just our luck that SOPA/PIPA would rain on our parade.  Dill-holes.

gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-18 9:32 PM (#2916 - in reply to #2915)

Uber User

In Accelerando, Stross used a great word for those in the legislature who had no clue about what's going on, suddenly found out, and then promptly overreacted. They are the legislatasuarus. They're extinct but don't have brains to fall over dead. This fits with the theory that all laws, beyond the most basic, are codifications to old problems, which may or may not still exist.
nate1234
Posted 2012-01-18 11:09 PM (#2917 - in reply to #1740)

i assumed it was $$$ motivating them, not being out of touch.

mpaa donations have been fairly constant, tho they spiked in 2008:
http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000027729&year=2...

riaa donations increased considerably starting in 2008:
http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000000581&year=2...

my guess is that the guys backing away from it now are doing so do to public outrage, rather than new information.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-20 12:46 AM (#2922 - in reply to #2916)

Uber User

gallyangel - 2012-01-18 7:32 PM

In Accelerando, Stross used a great word for those in the legislature who had no clue about what's going on, suddenly found out, and then promptly overreacted. They are the legislatasuarus. They're extinct but don't have brains to fall over dead. This fits with the theory that all laws, beyond the most basic, are codifications to old problems, which may or may not still exist.

Legislatosaurus. I think it should be nominated for new word of the year.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-20 12:56 AM (#2923 - in reply to #1740)

Uber User

Have you ever thought about adding the Masters of Science Fiction list from Carroll and Graf publishers? It's exactly like the SF Masterworks list, one publisher's idea about what is master status in SF.

Ring around the Sun, Miracle Visitors, On Wings of Song, and the Walking Shadow, are all part of the series. Your links to those books are from the series. I think there are less than 50 books.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-02-02 12:28 PM (#2976 - in reply to #2923)

Uber User

Today's Random Reads contains Eight Skilled Gentlemen. It looked interesting, so I clicked on the book. The book blurb notes that it is the sequel to The Bridge of Birds (in WWE) and The Story of the Stone (not in). Thought I'd let you know, but, of course, that just adds more to my Reading List.
Administrator
Posted 2012-02-02 10:11 PM (#2977 - in reply to #2976)

Admin

@Galleyangel:  I've not heard of that series before but it sounds interesting.  When I try to look up "Masters of Science Fiction" I only get the TV series.  Do you have a link?

@Rhondak101:  I hate a broken series.

The Story of the Stone

gallyangel
Posted 2012-02-03 1:31 AM (#2979 - in reply to #2977)

Uber User

On the Masters of Science Fiction series by Carroll and Graf.

Ive never been able to find a website for this series, so Im guessing there is none out there. Ive had to recreate the list from a varity of sources. The checklist of titles in the back of their books, cross checked with various book sites to see if those books have the Masters of Science Fiction cover or not. Carroll and Graf published other SF during the same time as the Masters series which wasnt part of that series. The Locus mag. website has a searchable publisher index, so that helped too.

These are the for sures, with one exception.

Masters of Science Fiction

Galaxies Malzberg
Beyond Apollo Malzberg
On Wings of Song Disch
The Walking Shadow Stableford
The Forgotten Planet Leinster
Quarantine World Leinster
The Forever Machine Clifton/Riley
vermilion sands j g ballard
Hello America J.G. Ballard
the book of ptath van vogt
the house that stood still van vogt
the beast van vogt
the universe maker van vogt
cosmic encounters van vogt
The Mind Cage Van Vogt
the night mayor kim newman
the goblin reservation simak
cemetery world simak
the werewolf principle simak
Ring Around the Sun Simak
All Flesh is Grass Simak
chekhov's journey ian watson
the embedding ian watson
Miracle Visitors Watson
The Metal Monster Merritt
Venus plus X sturgeon ???
(I have not been able to confirm or denigh this one. It was published in the right time frame but Ive never seen the cover to this issue.)
the golden helix sturgeon
Some of your Blood Sturgeon
you're all alone leiber
the muller-fokker effect sladek
the zap gun Dick
the penultimate truth Dick
clans of the alphane moon Dick
last orders aldiss
the dark light years aldiss
Non-Stop aldiss
the alteration amis
day of the triffids wyndham

Carroll & Graf Pub also did an aborted Masters of Horror and Masters of Fantasy series.

Masters of Horror
demons of daylight campbell
The Complete Werewolf boucher, anthony
Seeds of Evil bingley
The Watchers Out of Time lovecraft

Masters of Fantasy
The Jewel of the Seven Stars bram stoker
the moon pool abraham merritt

Some of these titles seem rather obscure. And trying to find these specific print editions has been difficult and expensive, in a few cases.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-02-04 1:31 PM (#2984 - in reply to #1740)

Uber User

@Rhondak101: Hugart's Master Li trilogy is fine (although I found that the first book was the best of the three). However, if you're interested in humorous adventures in a China that never was, I would highly recommend Ernest Bramah's Kai Lung's books instead.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-02-04 2:35 PM (#2989 - in reply to #1740)

Uber User

Engelbrecht, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly take a look at them.
htaccess
Posted 2012-02-07 4:12 PM (#2999 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank1.... seems to be going away ... pity, it was quite a good list although it suffered from the dynamic list problem.

Interesting new one:

http://www.sfcenter.ku.edu/sflib.htm
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02/102-essential-scifi-books/

Looks like a good one

Edited by htaccess 2012-02-07 4:21 PM
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-02-10 9:26 AM (#3012 - in reply to #1740)

Uber User

Since we know that Dave abhors an incomplete series, I offer this. The Lev Grossman book just added, The Magician King, is the sequel to The Magicians.
http://www.amazon.com/Magicians-Novel-Lev-Grossman/dp/0452296293/re...
Administrator
Posted 2012-02-14 8:04 AM (#3034 - in reply to #3012)

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2012-02-10 9:26 AM Since we know that Dave abhors an incomplete series, I offer this. The Lev Grossman book just added, The Magician King, is the sequel to The Magicians. http://www.amazon.com/Magicians-Novel-Lev-Grossman/dp/0452296293/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328887410&sr=1-3

Work is kicking my ass right now so I've fallen off the pace here lately.  This one does stick in my craw   Could have sworn I'd already added The Magicians!   When I get my second wind I'll take care of some of these.

htaccess
Posted 2012-02-14 11:32 PM (#3039 - in reply to #3034)

Veteran

The new Radium Age (1904-33) Series from HiLo books looks like it will be an interesting list if they keep adding books:

The Scarlet Plague By Jack London
With the Night Mail, A Story of 2000 A.D. and As Easy As A.B.C. By Rudyard Kipling
The Poison Belt By Arthur Conan Doyle
When the World Shook By H. Rider Haggard

http://hilobrow.com/hilobooks/
http://boingboing.net/2012/02/14/the-radium-age-science-fiction.htm...
gallyangel
Posted 2012-02-14 11:56 PM (#3040 - in reply to #3039)

Uber User

The poison belt is already in the database. The other prof. Challenger stories would be good to add too.
htaccess
Posted 2012-05-25 8:24 PM (#3233 - in reply to #1740)

Veteran

Just wondering which lists we can expect to see added soon?

I would most like to see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Fantasy:_The_Hundred_Best_Novel...

and

Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985-2010
Administrator
Posted 2012-05-26 12:12 AM (#3234 - in reply to #3233)

Admin

htaccess - Just wondering which lists we can expect to see added soon?

That's a good question!  Here are some of the lists/awards we're working on adding:

• Cordwainer Smith Rediscovery Award (author award) (0)
  • World Horror Grandmasters (author award) (3)
  • Searles' Basic Reading List in Science Fiction (6)
  • Shirley Jackson Award (19)
  • Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985-2010 (22)
  • Pringle's Modern Fantasy: The 100 Best Novels (34)
  • Fantasy - The 100 Best Books (Cawthorn and Moorcock) (53)
  • Mythopoetic Award (78)

The number next to each indicates how many books or authors we're lacking from each list.  We've made a bit of progress on some of these and there is some overlap in these so adding a single book can knock it off of 3 or 4 lists at once.  So which one is next?  Well, none of these actually.  We're working on a different list all-together:

Books Reviewed on WWEnd

That's right.  All the reviewed books in a single list so you can peruse the reviews easier.  We've got over 800 reviews on the site (huge props to our contributors!) and we want to be sure you guys are finding them.  We're going to make it like the Series list with the alpha pagination and I'm guessing it'll be at least 300 books long.  All the usual BookTrackr color coding will be there as well as a page that shows all the reviewed books that you've tagged as read.  Should be coming up pretty soon so keep an eye out for it.

After that?  Pringle's Modern Fantasy seems to have a lot of people excited so that's a good pick methinks.  The new 101 Best Novels list is getting some love in another thread so that one's rising to the top as well.  What do youthinks?

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-05-27 7:32 PM (#3239 - in reply to #1740)
Subject: RE: Adding lists and series

Uber User

The Books Reviewed list looks like a great addition - looking forward to it!

Pringle's Modern Fantasy and the Mythopoetic award have been hanging fire for some time now - it would be nice to see them completed.  Fantasy awards are somewhat underrepresented with only 2 awards vs. SF's 7 (the BFS is really more horror than fantasy), so some more fantasy would be nice.  The book lists are even more unbalanced - around 11 SF lists vs. 1 fantasy list.

On the book lists in progress:

• Searles' Basic Reading List in Science Fiction:  A good list, but it would be nice to see the companion fantasy list (see below) go up first.
  • Shirley Jackson Award:  Very interesting, would definitely like to see this one.
  • Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985-2010:  A strong list, should be added.
  • Pringle's Modern Fantasy: The 100 Best Novels:  Yes!
  • Fantasy - The 100 Best Books (Cawthorn and Moorcock):  A worthwhile but very eclectic list.  Cawthorne says: "In an earlier volume of the '100 best' series, H. R. F. Keating says that he excluded certain titles because they are now almost unobtainable.  The contrary view is taken here..."  BTW, this work is almost entirely Cawthorn's as Moorcock was too busy to perform the work originally commissioned to him.
  • Mythopoetic Award:  Yes!

I can tell that you don't have enough work on your plate, so I've come up with some other possible additions (more fantasy lists): 

• The Ballantine Adult Fantasy series was a highly influential series in it's day, much more so than the two Orion Masterworks series.  It includes works by such seminal authors as William Morris, James Branch Cabell, Lord Dunsany and George MacDonald.
  • The Seven League Shelf, a list of classic fantasy complied by Baird Searles in his Reader's Guide to Fantasy.  I can't find the list online, but I can reproduce it if you like. (it has 33 entries).
  • Jeff Vandermeer's Fantasy:  Essential Reading is a great literary list.  Jeff has impeccable credentials for compiling such a list, so this is one that I'd really like to see added.  Plus, it has 4 out of the 5 books that I give a 10 to that aren't currently on the site. 

x

Administrator
Posted 2012-05-29 5:44 PM (#3259 - in reply to #3239)

Admin

@Engelbrecht:  Glad you like the new list ideas.  The ones you mentioned are new to me but I dig 'em - especially the Vandermeer.

Here's a progress report on the current list of lists:

Books Reviewed on WWEnd list is LIVE!  Check it out and let us know what you think! 

Books Reviewed on WWEnd

Pringle's Modern Fantasy: The 100 Best Novels - I've got all the images ready and we've started to get them into the DB. I'm guessing we'll have that done in the next couple weeks on the outside.

More to come in the next few days including a blog post about the reviewed books list.

Administrator
Posted 2012-05-31 8:17 AM (#3269 - in reply to #3259)

Admin

And another one!

David Pringle's Best 100 Science Fiction Novels

My thanks to jynnandtonnyx for jumping on those last 50 books.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)