open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Listen, my dear Cors, why don't you forgive God for allowing pain? If He didn't allow it, human courage, bravery, nobility, and self-sacrifice would all be meaningless things." - Walter M. Miller, Jr. (A Canticle for Leibowitz)
- (Added by: Emil)

A few questions for you. Yes, you!
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2010-04-28 11:56 AM (#1956)
Subject: A few questions for you. Yes, you!

Admin

So, I'm curious:

How did you find your way to WWEnd originally?  Random search?  Link from a blog or Wikipedia or StumbleUpon?  Word of mouth?

Did you become a member right away or did you visit a few times or lurk for a bit first?

What made you decide to become a member?

What WWEnd features do you use/enjoy the most?

Do you know any other members personally?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hihik
Posted 2010-04-28 1:27 PM (#1957 - in reply to #1956)
Subject: Re: A few questions for you. Yes, you!

Regular

me, me, me!

i think i first sumbledupon about a year ago. i have a soft spot for accurately designed websites and after seeing all other horrible yellow-font-on-black-background sf/f sites i thought i found a bliss. i saw a discussion about The Man From Earth and registered to leave a message about my affection toward that movie. but the content was slim and after a while i completely forgot about wwe. recently i was checking out wikipedia about Amber series and there was a link in external sources which brought me here again. i however didnt remember the website until i saw my own post in one of the threads.

i decided to stick around because i see a potential in the site to become a great little community with mature users who share my interests.

well, forum is great. finding award winning books to read is great. resources and news are good. blog posts are potentially an interesting read.

don't know anyone here personally.
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-01 8:53 AM (#1970 - in reply to #1956)
Subject: RE: A few questions for you. Yes, you!

Me? Ok, here goes:

How did you find your way to WWEnd originally? Random search? Link from a blog or Wikipedia or StumbleUpon? Word of mouth?
** I actually found it through google with the ultimate intent of getting ideas for new unread scifi authors. Only WWE provided me with exactly what I was looking for: Unbiased, visually beautiful, effortless with a large database created and updated with an obvious love for the genre.

Did you become a member right away or did you visit a few times or lurk for a bit first?
** I think I looked at it briefly then went on. Some hours later I got enlightened, came back and became a member.

** Why not! Started to use WWE with the functionalities of "My World" as a means to search and remember which books and new authors I am interested in experiencing. Though I am a scifi reader ever since my younger age, I limited myself, within different decades, to the wide stream (eg. King and Koontz in the 70's and 80's), religiously followed Crichton ever since The Andromeda Strain (70's through 00's), French classics in between (eg. most Jules Verne) and several others. I read new authors after seing their adaptations on screen (eg. Dune). With WWE, I want to experience more grassroots, classics and visionaries and select the best , whether known or getting-to-be known authors.

What WWEnd features do you use/enjoy the most?
**The sharing of information through reviews, comments, blogs etc. My wish is that more members would share with the Review function for each book. Though it is interesting to see the ratings, a 9 for one person may mean differently for another. For example, you will never see a rating below 6 from me (or most everybody) as I would not have the patience to finish the book, thus no rating given. Sometimes to understand a rating, you have to understand the person behind it. The Review helps and I try to make mine as personal as possible. Makes sense?

**No, but it would be fun. Planning a WWE-CON soon Dave?
supernova
Posted 2010-05-02 12:15 PM (#1985 - in reply to #1956)

New User

I actually have no idea how I got here (this happening today seems quite serious :-) )
So its safe to blame google. :-D
I am currently looking into something new to read. And was checking out Simmons, Baxter, Stephenson. I found the top-lists here quite interesting and at some point became aware that the Trackr / reviews is actually implementing a network between users, authors and books. I liked the idea and wanted to try how it works. "If he likes it, but she doesn't, it mighty be exactly what I want..."
Obviously I don't know yet if I will become a regular visitor. We'll see.

From what I gathered it seems that
-The forum get less appreciation than it deserves.
-you have by far more books in your database than I can access using the various lists. Maybe a total list which can be sorted by author, year, tag, ... might help? Or am I missing something?
htaccess
Posted 2010-05-06 2:19 AM (#2010 - in reply to #1985)

Veteran

> How did you find your way to WWEnd originally?

wikipedia link

> Did you become a member right away or did you visit a few times or lurk for a bit first?

Pretty much right away.

> What made you decide to become a member?

I was already interested in reading all the winners of the hugo and nebula awards so when I saw the book tracker I decided to join up.

> What WWEnd features do you use/enjoy the most?

Initially the book tracker and awards page, later on the forum, authors pages and the lists

> Do you know any other members personally?

No
dabeef111
Posted 2010-05-06 12:04 PM (#2014 - in reply to #1956)

How did you find your way to WWEnd originally? Random search? Link from a blog or Wikipedia or StumbleUpon? Word of mouth?
Random search

Visited a few times

When I realized I could organize my reading list beyond a Microsoft Word document

Im constantly gathering statistics about the awards. Ive also recently begun using the reading list and making sure all the books I've read are checked

No. Will you be my friend?
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-06 9:54 PM (#2017 - in reply to #2014)

Admin

@hihik:  I remember that discussion about The Man From Earth.  Such a great movie.  Thanks for the compliments about the site.  I'm glad you found your way back.

@Pierre:  Ah, you make me blush.  I'm glad you like what we've done with the place.  If WWEnd helps you find the books you're craving we've done our job.

@supernova:  We're glad you're here and we hope to give you enough reason to become a regular.  If you've had a look 'round the forum you've probably seen some of our plans for future enhancements being discussed.  We try to roll out updates every week whether it's new lists or improved features.

@htaccess:  Wikipedia strikes again!  Really thrilled BookTrackr tickled your fancy.  It's one of my favorite features.  Like you, I'm trying to get all the Hugo winners and the noms.  Turning the page gradually more and more green (and blue) makes me disproportionately happy.

@dabeef111:  I used to keep a paper reading list that I eventually moved to Word.  When I started doing web design I migrated my list online so my friends could see it too.  That eventually lead to WWEnd.  We've got close to 2k books in our DB right now and we're still growing so you should have plenty of books to keep your list fresh.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.  I'm really glad all you guys are having fun with the site.  The input we've been getting lately has lead to a bunch of shiny new bits that I'm really pleased with.  Ya'll have pushed WWEnd in new directions and we just keep getting better because of it.  I hope ya'll continue to stick around and help us grow this thing.  Besides, dabeef111 is looking for some new friends   We're here for ya, buddy.

valashain
Posted 2010-05-20 1:17 PM (#2072 - in reply to #1956)

Uber User

This site showed up on the list of referrals to my blog after I reviewed some works in your database. I followed the trail back and lurked for a bit.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-20 2:21 PM (#2074 - in reply to #2072)

Admin

valashain - 2010-05-20 1:17 PM This site showed up on the list of referrals to my blog after I reviewed some works in your database. I followed the trail back and lurked for a bit.

@valashain: I found your site through a link in the blog results at the bottom of the novel page.  Nice to hear the process works in reverse as well.  Great stuff on your blog by the way.  Glad you decided to check us out.

@all:  Check out Val's Random Comments when you get a chance.

Birgitte SB
Posted 2010-05-21 3:45 PM (#2077 - in reply to #1956)

New User

I found the site through Wikipedia. I was looking for the list of Hugo novel winners and this site was a source there and seem exactly adapted for what I was trying to do. I joined right away to use the Book tracker. That is my favorite feature even though I can't remeber sometimes what books I read a long time ago much less how I would rate them. I don't know any members.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-22 8:28 PM (#2078 - in reply to #2077)

Admin

Birgitte SB - 2010-05-21 3:45 PM I found the site through Wikipedia. I was looking for the list of Hugo novel winners and this site was a source there and seem exactly adapted for what I was trying to do. I joined right away to use the Book tracker. That is my favorite feature even though I can't remeber sometimes what books I read a long time ago much less how I would rate them. I don't know any members.

Good deal Birgitte. I'm glad you found us.  Are you trying to read all the Hugo winners?  That's one of my goals, thought I'm not trying to break any records with it.

I know what you mean about rating books you can't remember.  What I've been doing is rating them according to how much I remember enjoying them at the time and adjusting a bit down for boyish enthusiasm.  I often go back and revise my ratings later too when I compare them to other books I've rated.

Birgitte SB
Posted 2010-05-22 9:02 PM (#2079 - in reply to #2078)

New User

Administrator - 2010-05-22 8:28 PM

Birgitte SB - 2010-05-21 3:45 PM I found the site through Wikipedia. I was looking for the list of Hugo novel winners and this site was a source there and seem exactly adapted for what I was trying to do. I joined right away to use the Book tracker. That is my favorite feature even though I can't remeber sometimes what books I read a long time ago much less how I would rate them. I don't know any members.

Good deal Birgitte. I'm glad you found us. Are you trying to read all the Hugo winners? That's one of my goals, thought I'm not trying to break any records with it.

I know what you mean about rating books you can't remember. What I've been doing is rating them according to how much I remember enjoying them at the time and adjusting a bit down for boyish enthusiasm. I often go back and revise my ratings later too when I compare them to other books I've rated.

I think I was looking for the recent nominees at the time. I have toyed with reading all the Hugo winners before. But I am hardly going about it systematically. I tend to read everything by an author and then find another author. I don't know if I will really go through all the older stuff though.

Using the awards lists does give a much better shot at finding something readable than randomly walking the library shelves. Especially for Sci-Fi. I find that I can tolerate reading a poor fantasy novel much more than bad Sci-Fi. So I have pretty much given up on picking up Sci-Fi novels cold. So I find the site really useful.
Deven Science
Posted 2010-05-23 8:54 PM (#2082 - in reply to #1956)

Uber User

Okay, so I'll go ahead and answer this, for the hell of it.

I've been a member for a long while now, so it's hard to remember. I think I found you from a Slice Of Sci-Fi mention, does that sound right?

I think I became a member right away, posted all over the forums, and then started a pattern of going on here regularly, then leaving for a while, then coming back, then leaving, in a loop. I like the site a lot, but I think it hasn't taken off as fast as I thought it would, and so there were stretches where not much would happen on the forums. I seems to be picking up here lately, which is a good thing.

I was looking for new authors to read, and while the database was smaller back then, it still seemed like a good starting place.

I use the forums mostly, choosing to discuss movies on here just as much as books. I only recently started using My World as a place to conveniently list those books that I'd like to tackle in the future.

I don't, though I've become Livejournal and NetFlix friends with one or two since joining. If any of you live near Gulfport, MS, I'm here for another couple of months of military training, and I'd be down with meeting. It'd make for a great life story.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-23 10:01 PM (#2085 - in reply to #2082)

Admin

Yeah, Deven Science, you've been around a long time.  Nice to see you back, bro.  I know from your blog you've been a busy man.

Things have picked up quite a bit lately though we're not there yet.  It's taken far longer to break in that I ever thought it would.  It's all good though.  We've got a small core group that likes to participate so hopefully we can build on that.  Those stretches are getting fewer and farther between.

We did get a mention from Slice on their web site but not on the podcast so you could have found us there for sure.

Fraa Grant
Posted 2010-05-26 3:56 PM (#2094 - in reply to #1956)

New User

I was looking at the analytical info for my blog and saw that two referrals came from this site. This is weird as I only get around 70 hits a month. So, naturally I was curious what this site was.

I became a member almost as soon as I got here. My previous SF forum wasn't cutting it. I don't know why I signed up immediately... it just looked like a good site. I know it's judging a book by the cover, but hey, I'm in dire need of people with similar interests to talk to.

Not sure what features I like the most. Haven't familiarized myself with 'em yet.

And I'm fairly certain I don't know anybody on here personally.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-26 4:55 PM (#2095 - in reply to #2094)

Admin

@Fraa Grant: Welcome to WWEnd!  Glad to have you here and I hope you like our forum better than your last.  We've got a good core group building though you'll still find some dead air from time to time.  Hopefully not too often.

I'm guessing one of your book reviews got picked up in our blog search on the novel page.  You've got some great stuff going on your blog.  I especially liked your piece on Terminator: Salvation.  "The terminators now lack a certain strategical purpose. They're essentially metal zombies with guns." - hits the nail on the head in my opinion.  You'll find lots of opprtunities to talk movies and books here.

I suggest you check out BookTrackr first.  It's one of our best features.  It works in combination with the award listings and the book lists.  You'll find lots of discussion on the book lists elsewhere in the forum too.

Enjoy!

icowrich
Posted 2010-05-27 3:44 PM (#2097 - in reply to #2094)

Admin

@Faa Grant: I'd suggest you check out BookTrackr, so that you can have your literary history in your profile. It might also help you pick out what books you'd next like to read. In my opinion, it's our best feature, although the blog search feature (listed on every novel page) is also a unique way to find out who is blogging about your favorite books.

Thanks for posting,

-Rico
otteronarock
Posted 2011-09-14 4:04 PM (#2653 - in reply to #1956)

I found WWE while doing a google search the order of publication dates for Ursula K LeGuins books. I hate when I read books out of order. I bookmarked you awesome people right away and joined on my second visit. This website is without end. Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2011-09-14 8:20 PM (#2655 - in reply to #2653)

Admin

otteronarock - 2011-09-14 4:04 PM I found WWE while doing a google search the order of publication dates for Ursula K LeGuins books. I hate when I read books out of order. I bookmarked you awesome people right away and joined on my second visit. This website is without end. Thanks!

I'm glad you found your way to WWEnd!  We definitely have some awesome people around here.  Be sure to tell your friends and tweet/friend/follow us too.

daneyvette
Posted 2011-09-19 2:53 PM (#2668 - in reply to #1956)

New User

I was searching for best-of lists for science fiction and fantasy books. Unfortunately, WWE was not the first site I found. In fact, it was buried a bit. There are a bunch out there, but when I found WWE my search was over. Nothing else compares. Not even close. The crisp and intuitive organization and the nice photos of the book covers really caught my eye. I remember WWE being recommended by Rusty Keele at his excellent short story website, BestScienceFictionStories.com

I became a member right away. This has become one of my top two favorite websites.

There are so many great features. I use the book trackr resources all the time. I mark "add to my reading list" if I own the book so that I can see my collection at a glance. Yellow means I own the book. Green means I have read it. Blue means that it is a favorite. I am always cruising the book awards lists, all-time lists, and author videos. I seem to use everything from time to time.

To me, this is certainly the definitive website for sci fi and fantasy book lists and awards. It is just so well done in every way. I am super glad that the admin is so active and involved and trying to get the word out at cons and continuously making improvements. My only complaint is that I wish WWE was more well known, because it really is the best of the best.

Edited by daneyvette 2011-09-19 2:55 PM
Administrator
Posted 2011-09-19 7:39 PM (#2669 - in reply to #2668)

Admin

daneyvette - 2011-09-19 2:53 PM To me, this is certainly the definitive website for sci fi and fantasy book lists and awards. It is just so well done in every way. I am super glad that the admin is so active and involved and trying to get the word out at cons and continuously making improvements. My only complaint is that I wish WWE was more well known, because it really is the best of the best.

All I can say is WOW!  Thanks ever so much for the glowing response.  It really gives us a boost to hear that you guys are diggin' on the site so much.  Makes us want to push harder to get more of the new features done.

We wish we were more well known too!  We're making strides in that direction as you may have noticed a rash of new signups since Worldcon.  A lot of them have been active members too which is really great.  We're pushing the social media angle pretty hard right now in an effort to get our name out and we've been getting a ton of followers on Twitter - over 500 in just the last few weeks.  Now we just need to convert them to WWEnd members.  Of course, you guys can help us spread the word too so don't be shy about telling your friends and tweetig us etc..  Every little bit helps.

Thanks again for the kind words, Dane!

Emil
Posted 2011-09-20 2:58 AM (#2670 - in reply to #2669)

Uber User

I was searching for a list of all the HUGO and NEBULA winners and a couple of reviews as I set upon my journey to read them all, and collecting the novels. Many sites popped up in the search, and the most "user-friendly" list I found was the one-page view in Wikipedia. There I noticed in the footnotes whilst navigating through the various novel entries a lot of references to WWEnd. I wish I can say that my landing on WWEnd was a moment of divine revelation, but ultimately it was really just pure chance (or fantastically speaking, destiny!)

I was immediately hooked on the visual display of the lists, which far exceeded my original expectation of merely reading just HUGO and NEBULA winners. The visual presentation of the winners along with the other nominees opened up new frontiers to me and rekindled the love for SF - and even contributed to my recent foray into the fantasy sub-genre (although I did read Tolkien, Mielville and Gaiman before). The rating system guided me in finding really the best of the best, regardless of awards, and the reviews from fans helped to crystallize my reading experience. Fans need not express erudite notes on books; I leave that to the academics. In the end, I just want a good read, with some profound message, and if not that, just a good old fashion action romp will suffice.

I think I might have joined a day or two after first discovering WWend, and haven't looked back since. When starting up the various internet browsers I use, multi-tabs open with my favourite sites, such as online news, my own posterous and now obviously WWEnd. It has become an obsession to the the extend I can't read (or buy) books that aren't in the database!! I'm afraid there is no relief from this bondage

Since then I've contributed a couple of reviews, both in the database, and on the blog. And since then I now rarely read mainstream fiction, unless someone highly recommends something (and then only a literary work will do it). It's obvious, really - since being active in WWEnd, I've depleted some of my savings catching up on novels I want met some authors, connect via social media with worldwide fans of sf (even Skyped with some, which is SO against my introverted nature ) and read a vast amount of wonderful narratives. A highlight of my "membership" so far was following Worldcon mainly on Twitter and interacting with the Travelling Adventurers from WWEnd. Reading the blog during this period, looking at the (far too few) pictures and engaging on Twitter made the experience oh so science fictionary - truly, Worlds Without End!!
Administrator
Posted 2011-09-20 11:08 PM (#2672 - in reply to #2670)

Admin

Ladies and gentlemen, Emil drank the WWEnd kool-aid long ago and we've been lucky to have his many contributions and un-flagging support since!

It's funny, I don't think I ever asked you how you found us which is usually one of my first questions.  That you came to us from a Wikipedia footnote is awesome.  We've been getting a lot of traffic from there the last couple years.  People have been adding us as a reference to the articles having to do with the awards and even some authors.

I'm really pleased that you're finding books through WWEnd and that you are stretching your reading horizons too.  That's the point of the whole site.  You seem to be as obsessed as I am with the seemingly endless reading options to be found here.  I take more than a little glee in knowing we've sent you down that path.  In the end it's a gentle obsession at least!

I'm hoping you'll be able to swing Worldcon next year in Chicago.  It would be a blast to hang out with you there!

Thanks for the great response, my friend.

ThomasBa2
Posted 2011-10-25 8:19 PM (#2759 - in reply to #1956)

My friend Fred Van Patten recommended WWE to me as a resource for finding out about SF books and authors that I might want to read. I think I joined almost immediately after perusing the site. I find the Book tracker feature the most useful. I also like the booklists and the blog.
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-25 8:47 PM (#2761 - in reply to #2759)

Admin

ThomasBa2 - 2011-10-25 8:19 PM My friend Fred Van Patten recommended WWE to me as a resource for finding out about SF books and authors that I might want to read. I think I joined almost immediately after perusing the site. I find the Book tracker feature the most useful. I also like the booklists and the blog.

Hey, that's great - a personal referral!  Seems most folks find us via a search result or from a web link.  Glad you like the BookTrackr and it's always nice to hear people like the blog.

So what books have you found so far that you've liked?  Any that surprised you?  I've been hearing from members who are trying Horror for the first time since we posted the Stoker and the HWA list and lots of people have said they've tried stuff they would not otherwise have tried on their own.  Emil has given fantasy a nice run as I recall.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)