open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Administrator)

More Singularity Books
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

sacaric
Posted 2010-07-08 11:46 AM (#2136)
Subject: More Singularity Books

Hi,

I am looking to find any sci-fi based on the singularity that I might have missed. I have read all of the Vernor Vinge, Charles Stross books. Is there any place that might list that type of book in a comprehensive manner?

thanks,
Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-07-08 12:13 PM (#2137 - in reply to #2136)
Subject: RE: More Singularity Books

Admin

sacaric - 2010-07-08 11:46 AM Hi, I am looking to find any sci-fi based on the singularity that I might have missed. I have read all of the Vernor Vinge, Charles Stross books. Is there any place that might list that type of book in a comprehensive manner? thanks, Scott

Hello Scott,

Welcome to WWEnd!  That's a great question.  There are several ways you can find books in a particular sub-genre on WWEnd:

• Go to the search page by clicking the "Advanced Search" link to the right of the search box in the header.  Once there select "Singularity" in the sub-genre drop down list and click submit.
  • Go to "SF/F Sub-Genres" in the Resources section, find "Singularity" in the list and click the link under the definition.
  • Go to a novel page like Singularity Sky that is in the sub-genre you're looking for and click the "Singularity" link in the list of sub-genre tags associated with that book.

All of these methods will yeild the same list of books, that have been tagged as part of that sub-genre, in a search results page.

A note about sub-genre tags on WWEnd:

All the sub-genre tags on WWEnd are member generated.  When you tag a book using BookTrackr you can select up to 3 different sub-genres that you feel best fit the book in question.  You can select Singularity and Space Opera for a book that has elements of both.  The top 3 tags selected by all members are used as the basis for our sub-genre search.

This method helps ensure that we get accurate tags based on the majority view.  Of course if only one person has tagged a book, and has tagged it incorrectly, that is what will appear for that book.  So some tags can be a bit off but will be corrected with time and more member input.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Dave

Mattastrophic
Posted 2011-02-05 11:42 PM (#2333 - in reply to #2136)
Subject: Re: More Singularity Books

One that's not up on the site is Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams. To give you an indication, Stross and Vernor Vinge have blurbs on the back cover praising the book's vision of a post-singularity culture.
Administrator
Posted 2011-02-13 9:02 PM (#2336 - in reply to #2333)

Admin

Mattastrophic - 2011-02-05 11:42 PM One that's not up on the site is Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams. To give you an indication, Stross and Vernor Vinge have blurbs on the back cover praising the book's vision of a post-singularity culture.

Implied Spaces  

sacaric
Posted 2011-04-10 2:04 PM (#2371 - in reply to #2136)

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I read Implied Spaces and loved it. I loved the singularity concepts discussed. Especially the concept of humans beginning to build the Matrioshka computers and then having an "existential crisis" and converting them into AI's that follow Asimov's 3 laws.

If you have any more suggestions I would love to hear them.

Scott
Mattastrophic
Posted 2011-04-10 8:50 PM (#2372 - in reply to #2371)

I'll let you know if I come across anything else like it. I also thought it was a great mix of some exciting ideas and very inter-textual. Let me know if you find anything else similar.
htaccess
Posted 2011-07-04 3:03 AM (#2488 - in reply to #2136)

Veteran

Sacaric, as you haven't added any books to your read list I can't tell, but you might like to try

Schilds Ladder by Greg Egan

and

Newtons Wake by Ken MacLeod
sacaric
Posted 2011-08-20 3:15 PM (#2592 - in reply to #2136)

Thanks htaccess for the suggestions.

I also found Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. They include the concept of memory cells and endless re-juvination back to youth or complete re-life into a cloned body. They also have a super intelligent AI and other intelligent species. While very good, so far the first novel is more of the space opera type with exploration and colonization of other planets enabled by worm holes than a focus on any type of singularity.
Emil
Posted 2011-08-22 3:22 AM (#2593 - in reply to #2592)

Uber User

Well @sacaric, there is also The Recursion Trilogy by Tony Ballantyne.
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-28 12:19 PM (#2606 - in reply to #2336)

Admin

Administrator - 2011-02-13 9:02 PM

Mattastrophic - 2011-02-05 11:42 PM One that's not up on the site is Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams. To give you an indication, Stross and Vernor Vinge have blurbs on the back cover praising the book's vision of a post-singularity culture.

Implied Spaces  

I picked up a like-new autographed hardcover copy of this at Worldcon!  It's now made it from my list to my stack.

Mattastrophic
Posted 2011-08-28 10:49 PM (#2618 - in reply to #2136)

Nice, truly nice. I like what I've seen so far of Night Shade Book's covers and cover art.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)