open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Luck is simply the advantage a true warrior gains in executing the correct course of action." - R.A. Salvatore - The Halfling's Gem
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Girl...
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Off TopicMessage format

Wintermute
Posted 2011-06-17 6:49 PM (#2466)
Subject: The Girl...

I am almost done with the Millennium series, more commonly known as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl that Played with Fire, and The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I have devoured these books like few others. I am about to finish the third book and only started the series 4 days ago.

Not a science-fiction series, nor a fantasy series. But wow, love it. Really spectacular.

An intricate series of detective stories that seem inexplicable serve as the plot but the main dish are the two characters: the girl and the journalist. Book 1 concerns a murder mystery that spans 40 some years and is as 'impossible' to solve as the best Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Book 2 features three murders that directly implicates one of the heroes. Book 3 is about a conspiracy that necessarily emerges from the cliff-hanger in Book 2.

Have to say I was not quite turned on by the idea of reading about some sort of modern Nancy Drew character so I did not bother with these books for quite a while after they were translated into English (from Swedish). I was very wrong.

Lisbeth Salander (the girl) is a true hero and capable of devastating violence (which is cool). But she's not 'innocent' either. In the second book the author places her at the scenes of three murders but cuts the story off from her perspective just before they take place. About a third of the book is then how different characters piece together what happened and we do not hear from Lisbeth during this time. In a normal book we would never really consider that the author would let the hero murder three people. In this book it is really not clear and entirely within the realm of possibility. Quite a feat by the author.

The first book also features the most monstrously evil character since Hanibal Lecter. True monster in human form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUwXwrR35U

Edited by Wintermute 2011-06-17 6:55 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)