open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The most dangerous condition for a man or a nation is when his intellectual side is more developed than his spiritual. Is that not exactly the condition of the world today? - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (The Land of Mist)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Star Wars
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Emil
Posted 2012-06-11 2:01 AM (#3370 - in reply to #3363)
Subject: Re: Star Wars

Uber User

I wonder what Eco would have done with a Star Wars tie-in novel
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-11 4:42 AM (#3371 - in reply to #2523)

Elite Veteran

I dread to think,Emil- 900 pages longwith a ,huge abstruse lecture on the Force,some philosophical rant about some obscure points of Jedi honour.No,no,sorry the mind boggles,I would have to be strapped to a chair,rather like Alex in Clockwork Orange,and be forced to read Foucault's Pendulum.You and Dr.Nefario have greater fortitude than I !
Talking about large books,I saw Neal Stephenson's Anathem on my library shelf,and it was HUGE.Please tell me that it is actually a fun,fast read? I think that will be a later book in my re-entry into science fiction - much,much later.No chance of lying stretched out nice and comfy on the couch to read that,unless you want a sprained wrist.
I have just started his Snow Crash,about 30 pages in.I was looking at all this description about Hiro's stuff,and it all seemed very cumbersome.then I checked the date.Written 1992,before the internet took off,before the present day when your mobile phone has probably more computing power than Hiro's equipment. I have got to hope that the story and characters are strong enough to offset any quaintness.Probably few areas of SF will date faster than books written on the cutting edge of technology.its all moving so fast today,its out of date almost at once.
Emil
Posted 2012-06-12 1:32 AM (#3381 - in reply to #2523)

Uber User

Dusty, have a look at Rhonda's review of it in the database. She states we should not be put off by the size - it is a good read. I have that one too, and in addition also his latest Reamde, which is even a bigger monster!

Snow Crash is one of my favorite novels. I remember Hiro fondly. Thereafter Stephenson has lost me, particularly with the Baroque cycle. Since struggling through the three books, I've been reticent to read more from him, but still ended having buying Anathem and Reamde. I may give one of them still a read this year. Snow Crash is by far his most accessible book, even if dated.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)