open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read." - G. K. Chesterton
- (Added by: Administrator)

Love the site & my search failed
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Tania
Posted 2011-10-12 7:05 AM (#2710)
Subject: Love the site & my search failed

New User

Hiya,
1. I loooooove the site. I can't tell you how happy I was to discover Worlds Without End. I have been trying to keep track of which nebular and hugo award winners and nominees i had read and hadn't read... I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across your booktracker here. Love love looooove it!

2. I searched for The City and The City and got no results. I now know that officially the book has an ampersand in it.... but you know... I didn't know that when I was searching. Just thought I'd let you know what I didn't know and now know.

3. While I'm at it. I would love a "if you liked this book then you might like this book". Or "people who liked this book also liked this book" feature. Basically I'd love some suggestions for further reading.

4. I haven't read the forum but no doubt apps have been mentioned right?
I'd buy it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-12 8:11 AM (#2711 - in reply to #2710)
Subject: RE: Love the site & my search failed

Admin

Tania - 2011-10-12 7:05 AM Hiya, 1. I loooooove the site. I can't tell you how happy I was to discover Worlds Without End. I have been trying to keep track of which nebular and hugo award winners and nominees i had read and hadn't read... I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across your booktracker here. Love love looooove it!

Thanks for the kudos!  I'm really pleased your enjoying the site so much.  Be sure to tell your friends or tweet us or whatnot.  The more members we get the better the site becomes for everyone.

2. I searched for The City and The City and got no results. I now know that officially the book has an ampersand in it.... but you know... I didn't know that when I was searching. Just thought I'd let you know what I didn't know and now know.

I've talked to whargoul and he's going to tweak the search function to fix that.  Thanks for pointing that out! 

3. While I'm at it. I would love a "if you liked this book then you might like this book". Or "people who liked this book also liked this book" feature. Basically I'd love some suggestions for further reading.

This one is on our list of things to do!  Right now, you CAN find reccomendations from other members though in a round about way.  Go to a book you really like and see who else likes it alot too in the novel rankings.  Click that person's avatar to go to their My World page and have a look at their favorites lists.  You can see what else they liked and try one of them.  I've done this many times and it seems to work pretty good.  Not as simple as a direct reccomendation from an algorythm but perhaps as accurate. 

4. I haven't read the forum but no doubt apps have been mentioned right? I'd buy it!

We have a design for a mobile app already in the works but it's been stalled for the last year because we all have real jobs and the site itself eats up most of our time.  It's good to know that folks would be interested in such.  We figure we'll charge $0.99 for it.  It would sure help defray the costs of running the site!  More on that as it develops.

Thanks for the great post!  Let me know if you have any other questions - we love the feedback.  We get some really great ideas from our members.

Tania
Posted 2011-10-12 3:50 PM (#2712 - in reply to #2710)
Subject: Re: Love the site & my search failed

New User

Re:3. I didn't realize you could expand the ranking button to view who gave it what. That's good enough for me! I don't need a fancy algorithm now.

Good luck with your site and thank you!
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-12 4:07 PM (#2713 - in reply to #2712)

Admin

Hmmm.  Perhaps I should make that more obvious on the page.  The little + and - are a bit subtle.

Tania
Posted 2011-10-13 9:00 PM (#2717 - in reply to #2710)

New User

I wouldn't worry... it's probably just me.
Also, how do we submit a new book?
I wish to submit Machine Man by Max Barry.
Link on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Man-Vintage-Contemporaries-Original/d...
Administrator
Posted 2011-10-13 9:08 PM (#2718 - in reply to #2717)

Admin

Tania - 2011-10-13 9:00 PM I wouldn't worry... it's probably just me. Also, how do we submit a new book? I wish to submit Machine Man by Max Barry. Link on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Man-Vintage-Contemporaries-Original/d...

We have an Overlooked Books thread for book requests.  We comb through that thread every few weeks and dump some new one into the database.  I'll probably do some this weekend now that the Stoker is out of the way.  Of course, I've got to get back to the Mythopoetic Award too....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)