open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The forceps of our minds are clumsy forceps, and crush the truth a little in taking hold of it." - H.G. Wells
- (Added by: Administrator)

STAR TREK UNIVERSE:
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

jedi timothy
Posted 2011-12-23 11:22 AM (#2847)
Subject: STAR TREK UNIVERSE:

I was just wondering if there are any star trek readers here?

star trek enterprise
star trek vanguard
star trek <(relaunch)
star trek <(prime)
star trek the next generation
star trek the next generation relaunch
star trek deep space nine
star trek deep space nine relaunch
star trek voyager
star trek voyager relauch
star trek new frontier
star trek department of temporal investagation
star trek mirror universe
star trek myriad universe

and of corse star trek comics and crossovers and star trek anthologies, one shots and mini series.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-12-28 12:33 AM (#2857 - in reply to #2847)
Subject: RE: STAR TREK UNIVERSE:

Admin

This is another favorite franchise that I've never read from like Star Wars.  I've always turned my nose up at tie-in books but I have to say I'm enjoying Heir to the Empire so perhaps I should give Trek a try.
jedi timothy
Posted 2011-12-28 12:51 AM (#2858 - in reply to #2847)

what is you're favorite show?

Edited by jedi timothy 2011-12-28 12:52 AM
Deven Science
Posted 2012-01-01 1:24 AM (#2860 - in reply to #2858)
Subject: Re: STAR TREK UNIVERSE:

Uber User

I'm a HUGE Trekker (mainly TNG), and yet, I've never read one book. Heck, I've even read the Hand of Thrawn series for Star Wars, but no Star Trek books. I'm not opposed to it, per say, but with so many books out there, I just don't even know where to start. I think I own one featuring Q that I might get to, eventually.
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-01 1:54 PM (#2865 - in reply to #2860)

Admin

In order of preference:

• Star Trek (Original Series) - I grew up on this one so it holds a special place in my heart.  I even like the corny episodes like Spock's Brain!  I will forgive this show a lot and I've got the super delux DVD set so I can watch any time I'm feeling nostalgic.
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Only after season 2 when they started hitting their stride.  IMO season 1 is unwatchable now thought at the time we were all starved for Trek and we loved it.  There are some later episodes that are just golden moments of greatness that rank as the best Trek episodes ever.
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Only after Worf joins the crew - that's when the show took off for me.  The war with actual consequences!  I liked the continuous story line and Sisko's beard.
  • Star Trek: The Animated Series - Loved this when I was a kid despite the obvious re-use of scenes.  It had all the original cast voices and some cool aliens to boot.
  • Star Trek: Voyager -  Not much to say about this show.  I watched it because it was on.  I liked many of the characters but it just never reached the point where I HAD to watch every episode.
  • Star Trek: Enterprise -  As much as I like Scot Bakula this show never did it for me.  I've watched a dozen or so episodes total which shows you how much I liked it.  The Vulcan chick was hot at least.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-02 4:37 AM (#2866 - in reply to #2865)

Uber User

Once an addict, always an addict. But I've kicked the habit. Once, in the early 90ies, right as DS9 started to air, I owned every Star Trek book and comic book ever published. And now, I'm happy to say, I only own about 10 books, but that's only because of fairness since I also own only ten Star Wars books. The only regret is the gold key original star trek comics. They'd be worth nothing but money today. Oh well.

Deven Science: there are a few authors in this database which had a Trek novel in their early years. Bear comes to mind. If one of those authors is one you like, try the trek novel. Or, like you said, if you have a Q novel and you like Q, give it a try. They're day novels. Nothing there but enjoyment. Look through the various listing of the novels. I'm certain you'd find something or a book centered on some character that would peak your interest.

Admin: I agree with the sentiment about the vulcan on enterprise. I'd add she'd be hard pressed to go up against the Borg from Voyager. I can't swear that i've seen ever episode of Enterprise. I really think everybody was burned out and the wave had crested by the time Enterprise aired. It seemed to me that the show had a damn awful time slot, here at least, when it first aired.

I absolutely hate the whole reboot of star trek. They could've made the whole thing fit within the context of the history which has been pieced together, but no, can't do that. Money trumps everything, like always.

Edited by gallyangel 2012-01-02 4:39 AM
Deven Science
Posted 2012-01-06 2:12 PM (#2870 - in reply to #2866)

Uber User

@Gallyangel, A search of Trek novels by author isn't a bad idea.

I must disagree with you on the new movie, however. I loved it, and think that, just as you yourself stated, the Trek universe was getting used up and burned out. The direction of the movie was to respect the old, but clean it out a bit for the new. I think that a Trek movie that just did more of the same would've been received horribly, and it would have killed the series forever. Now, it lives on. Sure, it's a bit different, but everything, books, restaurants, clothes, companies, TV and movies, everything must adapt to the times, or die.

Star Trek adapted.
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-06 2:23 PM (#2871 - in reply to #2870)

Admin

I'm with Deven on this one.  Loved the new movie, though I had lots of problems with the story.  They've shed all that baggage and can tell new tales and take it in different directions.  I can't tell you how thrilled I was when the movie ended and they didn't manage to set everything back to the way it should have been.  Star Trek is finally fun again and that movie was streets ahead of the last couple shiny turds they put out.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-01-06 6:44 PM (#2872 - in reply to #2871)

Uber User

I agree that the latest effort was far above the previous two or three, but, don't tell me the only way there was to reboot the series was to change the past and destroy Vulcan. To me, that's just sloppy, lazy writing.
jedi timothy
Posted 2012-01-10 1:19 PM (#2883 - in reply to #2847)

for those who love star trek the next generation I highly recomend The Buried age which is a fantastic novel set before and leading into encounter at farpoint the pilot. it picks up after picard loses the stargazer his first ship. and covers his courtmarshal.

Edited by jedi timothy 2012-01-10 1:38 PM
jedi timothy
Posted 2012-02-14 4:33 PM (#3035 - in reply to #2847)

okay Idw is awesome first they do:

star trek/legion of supre heroes crossover

and now there doing:

star trek the next generation/ Dr.who crossover

how cool is that also this august we got http://www.shore-leave.com .
jedi timothy
Posted 2012-02-29 12:46 PM (#3077 - in reply to #2847)

http://8of5.blogspot.com/p/2012-books-schedule.html?m=1

fantastic web site and up to date of all thing star trek books,comics and games. and this is the year for star trek games.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)