open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Beware of literature.--Jean-Paul Sartre (Nausea)
- (Added by: JohnBem)

Authors
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-02-27 5:22 AM (#3067)
Subject: Authors

Uber User

I've noticed a number of author-related issues in the database (some of which are obsessively picky!) as follows:

1) Sorting:
The All Authors in the WWEnd Database page sorts authors by their full name, but displays authors by their pseudonym (if it exists). For example, Anne Rice displays as Anne Rice but she is sorted in with the O's because Anne Rice is just a pseudonym, with her real name being Howard Allen O'Brien. This makes it hard to find authors such as Lord Dunsany, James Tiptree, Jr., Piers Anthony, etc. Can the sort be changed to sort by the displayed page name of an author (third name - see item 6 below)?

2) Some pseudonyms are listed as real names:
Toni Anzetti's real name is Ann Tonsor Zeddies
Stephen Bury's real name is Neal Stephenson & J. Frederick George
James S. A. Corey's real name is Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck
Daniel Fox's real name is Chaz Brenchley
Cordwainer Smith's real name is Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger
Jean Vercors's real name is Jean Marcel Adolphe Bruller, and his pseudonym is simply Vercors.

3) Hobb:
Megan Lindholm's page shows (incorrectly) that her real name is Robin Hobb. Robin Hobb's page correctly shows that her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden. Also, her biography only appears on the Megan Lindholm page.

4) Heaney:
William Heaney, author of Memoirs of a Master Forger is actually a pseudonym for Graham Joyce. Complicating matters is the fact that the book was subsequently republished as How to Make Friends with Demons by Graham Joyce.

5) Brooke:
Keith Brooke has duplicate listings (1156, author of The Accord, and 1671, author of alt.human). The books should be consolidated under a single author.

6) Banks:
The Wasp Factory is authored by Iain Banks (the name Banks uses for his more mainstream fiction), not Iain M. Banks. Interestingly, the WWE page for Banks shows him as Iain M. Banks, despite the fact that the full name shown is Iain Menzies Banks and there is no pseudonym shown - there must be some third name in the database that governs the displayed page name of an author.

7) Name Errors:
The real name of J. F. McComas shows incorrectly as F. McComas J. and his coeditor's real name, Raymond J. Healy shows incorrectly as J. Healy Raymond (see here for name confirmations). The display of these author names must again be governed by some third name in the database.

8) Capitalization:
Greg Van Eekhout should be Greg van Eekhout.
A. E. Van Vogt should be A. E. van Vogt.

As promised, some of these are obsessively picky!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-02-27 10:25 PM (#3069 - in reply to #3067)
Subject: RE: Authors

Admin

Wow!  Thanks for so thorough a list.  I've corrected all of them except for the sorting.  I'll have to talk to whargoul about that one.  Some notes:

- We keep track of a bunch of different names for each author: full name, pseudonyms and display name.  We default to the display name which is what is usually on the cover of the books.  You never see "Kim Robinson" or "John Tolkien" on a book cover nor would you see "Kim S. Robinson" or "John R. R. Tokien".  For Robinson, the full name would work just fine because he uses his full name on his books covers.  For Tolkien, it would display as John Ronald Ruel Tolkien if we used full name which is just as weird as John R. R.

- For authors like Iain M. Banks/Iain Banks or Richard K. Morgan/Richard Morgan who use variations based on country or genre or whatever I've defaulted to the one that seems the most familiar or at least the most complete.  I've heard an interview with Morgan where he stated he prefers the K in his name like they do in the States so his was easier.  I try to list the other form as a pseudonym in these cases so folks can see they're the same person.

- In some cases I've elected to keep the pen name as the display name on the author record since it's more recognizable than the real name like with Cordwainer Smith or Robin Hobb.

Let me go on record here and state that I bloody well hate pseudonyms!  What a pain in the arse they are.  I get why people use them but they're such a nuisance.  There are many fine examples in your list where the silliness reaches epic levels:

- Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden, aka Robin Hobb, aka Megan Lindholm, writes a book, The Inheritance and Other Stories, and credits both of her pseudonyms as co-authors!

- George F. Jewsbury, the uncle of author Neal Stephenson, collaborated with him on two different books, Interface (1994) and The Cobweb (1996). For these books he adopted the pseudonym J. Frederick George, and the two of them then adopted the collaborative pseudonym of Stephen Bury.

- Graham Joyce writes Memoirs of a Master Forger as William Heaney then republishes the same book under his own name with a different title!

I hope I can be forgiven these particular errors, if not the others.

Thanks again, Engelbrecht, for finding these.  Please let me know if you find anymore.  I sincerely hope you never look too closely at the publishers.....

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-02-28 4:53 AM (#3071 - in reply to #3067)
Subject: Re: Authors

Uber User

You're welcome!

Maintaining a website like this can be a thankless task sometimes, but I (and all of us, I sure) appreciate the work that has gone into it. No forgiveness necessary!!

Pseudonyms are indeed a pain. I earlier forebore mentioning that K. J. Parker is a pen name for an unknown author. In fact, I have my suspicions that Parker is actually Hobb/Lindholm/Ogden - wouldn't that have you tearing your hair out if it turned out to be the case!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)