open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

The term "virus"
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

splunge52
Posted 2012-03-27 12:10 PM (#3139)
Subject: The term "virus"

Did you know the first use of the term 'virus' to describe a program that infects another computer was in the 1972 Nebula nominated novel by David Gerrold "When Harlie Was One".

At least that is what I read in Wikipedia
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-03-27 1:33 PM (#3140 - in reply to #3139)
Subject: RE: The term "virus"

Admin

When Harlie was One is an excellent book.  I read it a couple years ago and didn't even notice the term virus.  It's so ubiquitous now I had no idea that was the first use.  I wish I had known that when I started the book.  I would have keyed for it with anticipation.

For a book that got 3 nominations ('72 Nebula and '73 Hugo and Locus) it's not very widely read by WWEnd members.  Only 5 reads - but all the ratings are 8 or 9 at least.  Recommended for sure if you've not read it yet.

splunge52
Posted 2012-03-27 2:56 PM (#3141 - in reply to #3140)
Subject: Re: The term "virus"

It is an excellent read. When I first read the term in the book it got me curious as to when the first computer virus was created. This bit of trivia was included in what I read

I do find parts of the story funny. A computer so complex using dial up or some of the characters smoking pot at work. It is sold like cigerettes with brandnames like Highmaster..

Edited by splunge52 2012-03-27 3:08 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-29 11:55 AM (#3254 - in reply to #3139)
Subject: Re: The term "virus"

Elite Veteran

I had never even heard of it till joining WWend two days ago.I must confess I enjoy older SF books just to see how far off they are with their extrapolations of the future.Like in Pohl's Gateway the hero stocks up with as many music tapes as he can in their tiny spaceship.Just thinking of today's iPod,with thousands of tunes in that incredibly small device!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)