open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - JRR Tolkien
- (Added by: Administrator)

Adding books and authors
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

burningglove
Posted 2012-07-07 1:06 AM (#3629)
Subject: Adding books and authors

First, I'd like to say that I love the website! The awards lists are great as a pointer to quality scifi/fantasy, so I can target my reading, and spend less time poring over the back of books in a library or bookstore atempting to sift the wheat from the chaff.
The Booktrackr is excellent! I've recently returned to reading fiction after a long period concentrating purely on reading nonfiction, and I was looking for a way to reconstruct my reading history, so I could keep a record of what I had and hadn't read. I read a lot when I was a child, and I'm finding it pretty hard to remember if I read something 20 or more years ago.

I saw in another thread that someone asked you if you were planning on letting users post books and authors. I was wondering the same thing. Do you have a CMS where trusted users could add to the authors and books pages or is every entry programmed?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-07 2:54 PM (#3641 - in reply to #3629)
Subject: RE: Adding books and authors

Admin

Hello, burninglove, and welcome to WWEnd!

I'm so happy you found us and that you're diggin' the site.  WWEnd is really just a giant recommendation engine when you get right down to it.  The awards and lists help you narrow your choices down and then you can use all the tools on the site like synopsis, excerpt, member ratings and reviews etc. to whittle things down even further.  Our goal is to help you find the good stuff and our members are passionately interested in doing the same for each other so you've come to the right place.

Member submitted content is a subject near and dear to my heart but we have a ton of improvements of all kinds on our list in front of it at the moment.  When we do get to it, it's going to be a custom CMS with a review and release function so as members add books we can add the necessary cover images etc. and ensure everything is up to standard.  You guys are a picky lot when it come to the facts and we'd not have it any other way

At this time we won't be picking up on it until after WorldCon at the very earliest.  We have a number of features and improvements in the works that we're trying to wrap up before we head to Chicago.

Thanks for your interest in helping us build our database.  The more people keep asking for this feature the quicker it will move up the priority list!

Cheers!

chuhl
Posted 2012-07-08 9:53 PM (#3661 - in reply to #3629)
Subject: Re: Adding books and authors

There must be something about the way the planets are aligned this weekend, because I just discovered the site, too, and I'm loving it. I was looking for some ideas on what to read next, and I stumbled across your site and your Grand Master Reading Challenge and I'm very excited about it. I've spent the past couple of days in the used book store and on the computer getting my lineup all set.

I hope it's not troublesome to ask you to add books to the list, because a lot of the ones that are catching my eye aren't there yet. If it's a problem, though, I can adjust.

Thanks --

Administrator
Posted 2012-07-08 11:00 PM (#3665 - in reply to #3661)

Admin

Hey chuhl, a hearty welcome to you too!  We love seeing new members jumping right in.  One of the best things about the GMRC is that it's a managable reading challenge that you can come into late in the year and still be able to catch up.  Sounds like you are ready to get stuck in!

We get book requests all the time so please don't hesitate to chime in with yours.  I just created a new book request thread so head on over and add yours to the list.  GMRC books get top priority so you can tag them for your challenge.

Cheers!

Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here!

Fried Egg
Posted 2013-01-15 9:58 AM (#4578 - in reply to #3629)

What about adding authors? For instance there were some female horror authors I wanted to add to the "women in fiction" challenge but I couldn't find them.
Administrator
Posted 2013-01-15 10:38 AM (#4580 - in reply to #4578)

Admin

Hey Fried Egg,

We have a specific thread for making author and book requests for the WoGF.

Post your authors over there and we'll put them on our to do list.  If you have one you want to read right away let us know and we'll move them up in priority.  We've got around 60 authors on the list right now and we're pluggin' away as fast as we can.

Fried Egg
Posted 2013-01-16 3:19 AM (#4585 - in reply to #3629)

Okay thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
francesashton
Posted 2013-05-19 12:10 PM (#5070 - in reply to #3629)

Regular

Notice how I'm slowly working my way round the forums?

Anyway, just saying I'd certainly be prepared to add books and authors. It's easy enough to scan in covers and as a minimum add publication information and the blurb.
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-19 9:17 PM (#5080 - in reply to #5070)

Admin

francesashton - 2013-05-19 12:10 PM Notice how I'm slowly working my way round the forums? Anyway, just saying I'd certainly be prepared to add books and authors. It's easy enough to scan in covers and as a minimum add publication information and the blurb.

I did notice and I'm glad you taking an interest in so many threads!

We are working towards allowing members to input books so know that it's coming.  When is another matter entirely.  We have made some progress but it goes in fits and starts as we have time and often gets derailed.  It will be a great new feature to introduce and is right up at the top of my wish list.

Bete
Posted 2013-08-06 7:48 PM (#5493 - in reply to #3629)

New User

I'd be more than happy to scan and input books/authors as well! It feels so strange to not be able to add all of Steven Brusts's work to my profile.
Administrator
Posted 2013-08-09 9:39 PM (#5499 - in reply to #5493)

Admin

Bete - 2013-08-06 7:48 PM I'd be more than happy to scan and input books/authors as well! It feels so strange to not be able to add all of Steven Brusts's work to my profile.

Yeah, that project has stalled a bit unfortunately.  Work is kicking our asses right now so not much energy or desire to do more coding at this point.  It'll settle down eventually and we'll get back on it.

I'm really surprised that we don't have Steven Brust on the site yet!  I've read some of his books and quite liked them.  I'll put him on the to-do list.

Bete
Posted 2013-08-11 12:21 PM (#5507 - in reply to #5499)

New User

We will just have to petition Father Time to grant you all 10 more hours in the day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)