open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Attack the Block
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2012-08-12 2:40 AM (#3974)
Subject: Attack the Block

Uber User

On my blog some months ago, I had made a list of my top ten movies for 2011. Since my number one was a science fiction movie, and since it hasn't been mentioned yet on this site, I thought it was high time to bring up this wonderful film.

My wife and I were lucky enough to catch this British movie in theater during its limited release, and I was floored. I then went and bought it when it came out of DVD, and watched it two or three more times in quick succession. The peek into the world of the South London kids, their infectious slang, the hard exteriors and soft centers of each character. And then the alien action starts up, and the aliens are possibly the best creature designs in a decade or more. Suddenly, Super 8's alien looked sloppy, and inelegant. That's a good word for them. The "male" creatures in Attack the Block were elegant. Simple, striking, and most importantly, plausible. I can picture the world that they come from in my mind. I can see how they would evolve the way they have. And they are frightening. The kids in the film stand out from the adults, selling their parts as reality. They are a bunch of South London hoodlums, and this might be how they would react if a bunch of alien creatures dropped in on their neighborhood. It's got humor, action, good set design, and a great soundtrack. Attack the Block was my favorite movie of 2011, by a mile and a half. Go see it. Believe!

The entire list is here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-12 2:16 PM (#3975 - in reply to #3974)
Subject: Re: Attack the Block

Elite Veteran

I just checked it out on You Tube,and it was quite fun...AND it has subtitles>I am a Brit and I probably wouldnt have grasped it all without them.Black London street language is a bit out of my area! lol.
To me the cutest bit was when the kid with the samurai sword came to the rescue..on his little scooter,with learner plates.Fun monsters too,with their blue teeth!
l
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-08-12 4:11 PM (#3977 - in reply to #3974)
Subject: Re: Attack the Block

Uber User

Added to the Netflix queue. Missed this completely, so thanks for the recommendation...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)