open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Race is how the world see you, ethnicity is how you see yourself (sic). Andrea Hairston (Mindscape)
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Total Recall 2012
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Emil
Posted 2012-09-03 2:28 AM (#4093)
Subject: Total Recall 2012

Uber User

Okay, okay, I went to see it. It was, surprisingly, quite enjoyable. Yes, many coincidental plot fixes. Still, the SFX were pretty decent and Kate makes a cool villain. I even enjoyed Jessica Biel's performance. Departs heavily from the PKD's short story. Pity, but the emphasis has always been on SFX and action, and the plot twist of "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" arguably doesn't make good movie viewing.

As for how it compares to the Verhoefen and Arnie's 1990 version - I reserve judgment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2012-09-11 10:21 PM (#4120 - in reply to #4093)
Subject: Re: Total Recall 2012

Uber User

I saw it, and I'll agree that it was an enjoyable popcorn FX movie.

I'll go further though, and say that while the 1990 Arnold version hasn't held up very well with its FX, it did a much better job of dealing with the bigger questions. What makes a man? Was it all in his head? Was any of it real? In the older movie, it pulled you back and forth, and I myself was left with the feeling that it was indeed all in his mind, due to some of the very subtle clues (yes, an Arnold movie actually had subtleties).

This new movie was very clear cut. It was all really happening, and frumpy/sexy Colin Farrell was there to save the day. It didn't leave anything to chance, nor any doubt. It was inferior in that respect.

Cool action and FX, though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)