open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

UseOfWeapons
Posted 2013-05-06 10:17 AM (#5020)
Subject: Avatar without gravatar

New User

It would be really nice to be able to add an avatar to my profile without having to create yet another login on yet another site with yet another password.
Seriously, I really like the site but I have more than enough needless logins and accounts across the net already.
All I want is to add a pic to my profile without using another site.
If it's not possible then I guess I'll have to use the default because I really don't want a gravatar account too.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-06 2:53 PM (#5024 - in reply to #5020)
Subject: RE: Avatar without gravatar

Admin

UseOfWeapons - 2013-05-06 10:17 AM It would be really nice to be able to add an avatar to my profile without having to create yet another login on yet another site with yet another password. Seriously, I really like the site but I have more than enough needless logins and accounts across the net already. All I want is to add a pic to my profile without using another site. If it's not possible then I guess I'll have to use the default because I really don't want a gravatar account too. Thanks

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a pain in the ass to create a new account but that was the best solution for what we needed.  Our forum software is pretty ancient, as these things go, and not easily configured or changed.  Until we get around to replacing it, which is high up my personal list though not the official list, we have to make do with what we have.  It's our intention to integrate a Wordpress forum at some point so it will tie into the blog and give us all the modern forum features but we're already behind on so many other priority projects I hate to even guess at a timeline.  Next year perhaps?

UseOfWeapons
Posted 2013-05-07 11:13 AM (#5028 - in reply to #5024)
Subject: RE: Avatar without gravatar

New User

Ok, no problem and thank-you for the reply.

I like the site a lot, so I wont let this put me off
francesashton
Posted 2013-05-09 3:54 AM (#5032 - in reply to #5020)
Subject: Re: Avatar without gravatar

Regular

UseOfWeapons beat me to it as I was going to ask exactly this question.

So on another subject, if you're going to Wordpress forums in the future would that mean you'd have to have a Wordpress account as well, or would it be seamlessly integrated with the same account I've already got on here? Or is it too early to be asking such questions?
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-09 7:15 AM (#5033 - in reply to #5032)
Subject: Re: Avatar without gravatar

Admin

francesashton - 2013-05-09 3:54 AM UseOfWeapons beat me to it as I was going to ask exactly this question. So on another subject, if you're going to Wordpress forums in the future would that mean you'd have to have a Wordpress account as well, or would it be seamlessly integrated with the same account I've already got on here? Or is it too early to be asking such questions?

Therein lies one of the main problems we have to tackle.  Ideally we would be able to transfer all the accounts and threads and comment counts etc. straight over without losing anything. We want to make it as painless as possible for everyone.  I have no doubts that there will be some problems with that but we should be able to work through them.

Part of the integration will include a better site-wide login not just for the forums. We want to integrate facebook and twitter logins while we're at it so you can use your existing social media accounts on WWEnd.  That should remove some barriers to entry that we have now that are slowing memberships.  Hopefully.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.  We'll get it right eventually   Man, if we could do this full time....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)