open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We will not know our own injustice if we cannot imagine justice. We will not be free if we do not imagine freedom. We cannot demand that anyone try to attain justice and freedom who has not had a chance to imagine them as attainable. -- Ursula Le Guin (The Wave in the Mind)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

2014 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 1:19 PM (#5906)
Subject: 2014 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

Yes, it's back!  Only this time the WoGF is a sub-challenge inside our Roll-Your-Own Reading Challenge .  The same rules apply as last year so if you're back for a second helping you know what to do.  If this is your first WoGF you'll find the details on challenge page and you can look through the forum posts from last year to get a handle on things.  I, or one of our WoGF veterans will be here to answer your questions if you need any help.  Welcome aboard!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-08 9:29 AM (#5948 - in reply to #5906)
Subject: Re: 2014 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Since one of my own goals for 2014 is to read 12 SF books by women this challenge is a natural. Doesn't mean I can't do another one though....
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-08 11:04 AM (#5951 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I see almost everyone who has signed up so far has Ancillary Justice in their lists. Annoyingly I read it in December, when I'd already finished last year's challenge.

It is good, though. I expect to see it on some award shortlists.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 11:16 AM (#5953 - in reply to #5951)
Quote Reply

Admin

Yeah, I've read too many reviews here on the site to pass this one up.  There have been a couple negs but for the most part it seems pretty highly regarded.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-09 11:20 AM (#5976 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I see that Ancillary Justice is on the BSFA long list for nominations.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-11 6:32 PM (#6023 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

And has been nominated for the 2014 PKD awards.
HRO
Posted 2014-01-11 6:53 PM (#6025 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice. Not an easy read - it's pretty intricate and complex and deep - but very well written. I was about halfway through when I thought to myself, "This is definitely going to get some prize noms in 2014." My money is on Leckie for the PKD.

Edited by HRO 2014-01-11 6:56 PM
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-12 6:01 AM (#6033 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I got the impression that it's more of a popular favourite than a critical favourite, so might have more chance with voted awards rather than juried awards.

I didn't recognise a single other book on the PKD shortlist.
Linguana
Posted 2014-01-15 3:10 AM (#6086 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Teehee, I'm so happy to see this one again. It's turned into a habit, you know, looking for new female writers to read. I am totally okay with continuing that.

And yes, everybody go read Ancillary Justice! I'd be surprised if it didn't make it onto the Hugo shortlist as well.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-15 9:21 AM (#6091 - in reply to #6086)
Quote Reply

Admin

Linguana - 2014-01-15 3:10 AM Teehee, I'm so happy to see this one again. It's turned into a habit, you know, looking for new female writers to read. I am totally okay with continuing that. And yes, everybody go read Ancillary Justice! I'd be surprised if it didn't make it onto the Hugo shortlist as well.

Glad you're back for more!  One of the cool things about the RYO is that it allowed us to repeat the WoGF without restricing everyone to the same theme.  We can have our cake and eat it too!

I'm trying to remember a debut book making as big a splash as Ancillary Justice and I can't come up with anything close.  It's pretty remarkable.  I think it'll make a good showing in the awards beyond the PKD.

Linguana
Posted 2014-02-07 12:49 AM (#6377 - in reply to #5906)
Subject: RE: 2014 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Good morning everyone.

I am going to be that person today. Could you add a book to the database so I can sneak it into two of my challenges?

It's Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi - a surprisingly fun space opera featuring the most diverse characters I've ever come across in one book. A dark-skinned, lesbian, space ship mechanic who is also disabled is the protagonist. She's wonderful. The great thing is, it's not an "issue-book". So have a recommendation along with my request.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-20 11:38 PM (#6527 - in reply to #5906)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I decided to do something, erm, a little nuts, maybe.

Since reading 12 female spec fic authors a year is something I already do, not reading dude authors very frequently, I decided to apply the women authors' challenge to several of the other challenges. This began with PoC authors to become a WoC challenge, and then I did the Mythopoeic Awards, then the Award Winners, then the Second Best... and if I can figure out how to set it up, I'm going to make an LGBT authors challenge as well (and fill my list with ladies).

(I'm also endeavoring to not do any repeats, though a couple have accidentally popped up so far. So ideally, by the time I'm done, there will be 60 books by 60 different women authors, which I probably cannot hope to complete but I can't resist the obsessive-compulsive pollution. Oy.)

Just figured I'd put it out there in case there are other folks who appreciate the idea of a women author challenge, but for whom it isn't super-challenging.
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-21 12:11 AM (#6529 - in reply to #6527)
Quote Reply

Admin

It's been great fun watching and reading about how everyone is scheming to do as many challenges as they can!  I had some notion that people would do just that but it has really turned into a game!  You guys and gals are getting clever.  That's one of the best things about the RYO in my opinion.  With so many great themes you can't just do one!  And if 12 books is not a challenge for you there are plenty of other challenge you can do at the same time to find that target number you want to stretch for.

Do keep in mind that we're only a couple months into the RYO and there will be more challenges to come later in the year that will tickle your fancy too.  Could get complicated!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)