open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: History, as I recall, was never this winsome, and especially not this clean, but the real thing would never sell: most people prefer a past in which nothing smells. Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

2014 Read the Sequel Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

daxxh
Posted 2014-01-08 12:42 PM (#5955)
Subject: 2014 Read the Sequel Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

This thread is for comments related to the Read the Sequel Reading Challenge. Six of the books that I read for the 2013 WoGF Challenge had sequels. I've also read the first book in multiple series and keep meaning to get back to the rest. This challenge gives me the excuse to do that.

Some I've read so long ago, like Cyteen, Starfish and The Star Fraction, that I may have to reread a few books just to remember what was going on.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-09 1:29 PM (#5980 - in reply to #5955)
Subject: Re: 2014 Read the Sequel Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

If you are dealing with a series does the sequel have to be book 2 of the series or can it be the next unread book?
daxxh
Posted 2014-01-09 1:47 PM (#5981 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

It can be the next unread book.
mjmahoney
Posted 2014-01-09 5:56 PM (#5987 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Thanks for setting up this challenge. I was thinking about something like it based on a quick perusal of my 'to read' shelf. We'll see how many I can read. This is the third challenge I've signed up for!
controuble
Posted 2014-01-09 9:05 PM (#5988 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Veteran

This is an excellent idea - thank you for thinking of it. Now I have a good excuse to read the next book in all those series I started last year .
I also have a question- Can we read more than one book in the same series if we haven't read them yet?

In either case, I would like to have the next 2 books in Martha Wells' Raksura series added - The Serpent Sea and The Siren Depths. The page currently says that The Cloud Roads is not part of a series, but it is book 1 of this series.

Edited by controuble 2014-01-09 9:12 PM
daxxh
Posted 2014-01-10 12:39 AM (#5991 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Controuble - I have read so many Book Ones that I hadn't really thought of reading any Book Threes for the challenge. But, if you want to read the sequel and the sequel to the sequel, that's fair game.
controuble
Posted 2014-01-10 6:11 AM (#5994 - in reply to #5991)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Great! and thanks - I started so many trilogies last year and it would be nice to be 'forced' to finish them
daxxh
Posted 2014-03-02 11:03 AM (#6653 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

At the end of February, the Read the Sequel Challenge has 17 people in it who have read 34 books. A lot of people have read three books. Emil has read eight and Thecynicalromantic has read four. Way to go!

Edited by daxxh 2014-03-02 11:04 AM
spoltz
Posted 2014-09-02 2:30 PM (#8412 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Everyone! I've just joined this challenge after evaluating my reading list and realizing I already read 8 sequels, and will be reading 4 more before end of year
daxxh
Posted 2014-09-02 6:30 PM (#8420 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the Sequel Challenge, Steve! I also added a couple of challenges recently because I was already reading books that fit. This challenge has been a fun one for me. Hope it is for you as well.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-09-03 7:55 AM (#8421 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I originally added two more challenges so that my list of challenges would neatly fill two rows, but now I've gone and started some new ones for next year and ruined it.
daxxh
Posted 2014-12-13 12:04 PM (#9012 - in reply to #5955)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

With 2.5 weeks to go, we have 11 finishers! Congrats to ersandoval, controuble, Emil, Arrenby, DrNefario, Engelbrecht, justifiedsinner, MMOGC, spoltz, and thecynicalromantic!

I find that I have more than enough books on my TBR pile to do this challenge again next year.
controuble
Posted 2014-12-13 12:08 PM (#9013 - in reply to #9012)
Quote Reply

Veteran

daxxh - 2014-12-13 12:04 PM

I find that I have more than enough books on my TBR pile to do this challenge again next year.

So do I, but what will next year's challenge be?
daxxh
Posted 2014-12-13 12:33 PM (#9014 - in reply to #9013)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

controuble - 2014-12-13 10:08 AM

So do I, but what will next year's challenge be?

This year it was any book that wasn't the first in a series and multiple books by the same author were ok. I was thinking of making it just book #2 in a series. Putting too many constraints on it (a certain number from each genre or so many by women), makes it hard to overlap with other challenges, which is part of the fun.

I signed up for too many challenges and had a lot of books to read. I may actually finish, but those 12 book challenges that I signed up for late in the year are making it hard. I was thinking of making it less than 12 books, but I probably have 25 sequels on my TBR pile, so I haven't decided. Really, I should make a Finish That Series Challenge. I have a lot more unfinished series books on my TBR pile to read than just Book 2s.
controuble
Posted 2014-12-13 1:37 PM (#9015 - in reply to #9014)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I like your Finish The Series idea - I have plenty of those laying around, too.

What would you consider something like the Wee Free Men series that is actually inside the Discworld series? Is there a number 1 to that? And what do you do about series that aren't finished being written? How do you 'finish' that?
daxxh
Posted 2014-12-13 4:33 PM (#9016 - in reply to #9015)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

controuble - 2014-12-13 11:37 AM

I like your Finish The Series idea - I have plenty of those laying around, too.

What would you consider something like the Wee Free Men series that is actually inside the Discworld series? Is there a number 1 to that? And what do you do about series that aren't finished being written? How do you 'finish' that?

I thought of this when I found out there was a third book in the Cadwall Chronicles and a 12th book in the Dorsai series. I had no idea those books existed until I was browsing this site. I also have read the first 3 of Kage Baker's Company series and wanted somewhere to put the rest if I was going to keep signing up for challenges. To make it easy, I thought it would be a challenge to work on finishing any series you've already started. That means I may have one book from the Cadwall Chronicles, one from the Dorsai series, two from John Barnes' Century next door series, three from Neal Asher's Agent Cormac series, 6 from Kage Baker's Company series, the last four books from Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (that trilogy has 6 books in it) and the last two from Peter Watts' Rifters Trilogy (somehow that trilogy has four books in it). That's more than the 12 books that the challenge would require. So, any combination would count. I don't like sitting down and reading book after book of the same series in a row. I have to read something else between volumes.

I haven't read any Discworld books, but if the Wee Free Men is a subseries, they would fit in this challenge as Discworld books. There's so many of those that if someone wanted to, they could read 12 Discworld books for this challenge. I consider the series finished if I have read all the books currently published. The author could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never finish it, or it could take ten+ years for someone else to finally finish it (what happened with Dorsai #12 or what I am afraid will happen with GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire series).

Sound good?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)