open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: To rule based on an assault upon an individual's conscience is to display a profound ignorance. And the rule of the ignorant is suicide. - Glenn Hough (970 A.D.S.)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

2014 LGBT Speculative Fiction Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-21 2:00 AM (#6532)
Subject: 2014 LGBT Speculative Fiction Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

This is the discussion thread for the 2014 LGBT Speculative Fiction Challenge.

The nominations lists for the Lambda Literary Awards and the Gaylactic Awards are good places to look for LGBT-themed novels.

I'm going to be looking for more resources for lists of LGBT authors, but to get us started, this is a short list of ones that I know of:

Nicola Griffith
Clive Barker
Melissa Scott
Rachel Pollack
Lee Thomas
Joanna Russ
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HRO
Posted 2014-02-21 6:41 AM (#6536 - in reply to #6532)
Subject: RE: 2014 LGBT Speculative Fiction Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

THIS is a good resource for lesbian sf. It hasn't been updated in quite awhile but there's still some great stuff listed.

I don't know if I'll be participating in this challenge. It's a grand idea - and definitely fits my reading interests - but I've already gone a wee bit crazy signing up for challenges! I shall ponder on it.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-21 10:40 AM (#6537 - in reply to #6532)
Subject: Re: 2014 LGBT Speculative Fiction Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

A few others:

David Gerrold
Frank R. Robinson
Samuel R. Delaney
Nalo Hopkins
Caitlin R. Kiernan
Kelley Eskridge
Malinda Lo
Tanya Huff
Connie Wilkins
James Tiptree Jr (Alice B. Sheldon)
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-21 10:54 AM (#6538 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Wikipedia has an LGBT SF list (despite the name on the link it is LGBT)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lesbian_science_fiction

The tiptree awards at:

www.tiptree.org

are also a good resource.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-21 4:10 PM (#6540 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks, guys! I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy who writes LGBT spec fic, as he knows of lots of resources.

HRO, no worries, lol. I'd planned on doing no author repeats, much less choosing a single book to satisfy two lists, but eh, I don't think that's happening.

For anyone that wants to do the diversity trifecta and stack novels, Malinda Lo's Ash, Nalo Hopkinson's The Salt Roads, and Octavia Butler's Fledgling fit the women, PoC, and LGBT challenges. IMO, so does N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon, though I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

ETA: Justified, all of those authors have written at least one book that explores LGBT themes in a positive way, but I don't think all of them are LGBT authors - so not all of their books would necessarily qualify.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-02-21 4:15 PM
HRO
Posted 2014-02-21 6:33 PM (#6544 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

With a bit of research, I discovered I would be able to do this challenge without adding any additional books so....I'm in!

If anyone is looking for recommendations, I would encourage you to try Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge. I read it last year for the WoGF challenge and it blew my mind. Great story, fabulous writing, and one of the most believable romantic relationships I've ever read.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-21 6:55 PM (#6545 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Sweet!

Yeah, only 3 of the 12 books I found for my LGBT list wouldn't easily satisfy another one of my 4 challenges (not including the women authors challenge, since I'm applying that to all of them).

As far as recommendations go, I read Nicola Griffith's Ammonite last month and it was bloody fantastic. This time I am reading her Hild.

Also, Hiromi Goto's The Kappa Child is another book that meets the diversity trifecta, though it's out of print.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-02-21 6:56 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-21 7:42 PM (#6546 - in reply to #6540)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Actually I believe all of them are. The men all identify as gay and the women as lesbian except Sheldon who identified as bisexual. Which ones do you think don't qualify?
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-21 8:06 PM (#6547 - in reply to #6546)
Quote Reply

Uber User

My bad - I had a bit of brain flatulence. I mixed up a name on your list for another author who is, I'm pretty sure, LGBT, but not vocally so.

That's one of the things that made me revise the original challenge from LGBT authors to that plus LGBT-themed fiction, actually - authors that may be at varying stages of "out."

So, thread - any advice on what books to pick by Caitlin Kiernan and Nalo Hopkinson? I'm torn.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-02-21 8:19 PM
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-21 11:19 PM (#6551 - in reply to #6547)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'd love to join this too, but I'm concerned about over-reaching as well. I plan on reading Samuel R Delaney's "Dhalgren" for the Grand Master Challenge. And I've been wanting to read Octavia Butler, Nicola Griffith and Charles de Lint. I I'll probably rearrange my other challenges to get some overlap.

I have a question for the creator of the challenge. I just read Deep Wizardry a few weeks ago for my Book Club. It's a YA fantasy novel. I wasn't that thrilled with the book. However, while it wasn't LGBT themed, the senior wizards who mentor the main characters are a gay couple. What astonished me the most was that the book was published in '85, which I thought was pretty early and progressive for putting positive LGBT characters in a YA book. And this book is the second in a series, so I think Tom and Carl also appeared in the first book in '83. So I'd like to include this in my challenge. Would you have any objections to this?

Lastly, Parallel Worlds Magazine might also be a source for ideas. They focus on books with LGBT and gender-identity themes. One of their reviewers has a review of Frankenstein in the WWE January poll. I always really enjoy her reviews. Here's a link to the site: http://www.parallelworldsmagazine.com/

Thanks for creating this challenge!

Steve
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-22 12:01 AM (#6552 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Spoltz, works for me!

By LGBT-themed, by the way, we're talking main (or perhaps secondary) LGBT characters portrayed in a positive light. It doesn't have to be an "issues book," or a transformative society (with, say, all women), or whathaveyou, to fit.

And, yeah, YA from thirty years ago shifts things a bit, as well.

Butler and Griffith have written two of my favorite books ever! And the former's LGBT-themed work and most of the latter's novels fit into several challenge categories.
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-22 12:54 AM (#6553 - in reply to #6552)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Awesome, I'm in!
DrNefario
Posted 2014-02-22 11:38 AM (#6560 - in reply to #6551)
Quote Reply

Uber User

spoltz - 2014-02-22 5:19 AM

And this book is the second in a series, so I think Tom and Carl also appeared in the first book in '83.

They did, briefly. I just read the first one a few weeks ago.

Two of the best books I've read in recent months would fit this challenge: Slow River by Nicola Griffith and China Montain Zhang by Maureen McHugh. I didn't know much about either book going in, but really loved them both.

I don't think I'm going to rush into signing up for another challenge, though.
HRO
Posted 2014-02-23 5:47 AM (#6563 - in reply to #6551)
Quote Reply

Uber User

spoltz - 2014-02-22 12:19 AM What astonished me the most was that the book was published in '85, which I thought was pretty early and progressive for putting positive LGBT characters in a YA book.

I was a teen in the 80s and I don't really recall YA being a genre. There were a few authors who wrote on topics of particular interest to teens but it wasn't like today when half of a bookstore is devoted to a YA section. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly? I've often pondered on this.

I recall some genre books I read in the 80s that had a glbtq theme (though I don't know if they would be classified as YA) - The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley and The Chronicles of Tornor by Elizabeth Lynn.
HRO
Posted 2014-02-23 5:51 AM (#6564 - in reply to #6547)
Quote Reply

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - 2014-02-21 9:06 PM So, thread - any advice on what books to pick by Caitlin Kiernan...

I've only read The Drowning Girl and I would highly recommend it. I went into it with very low expectations, thinking it would be some poorly written paranormal romance schlock. Au contraire! It's quite brilliant and fascinating.

Also, to those who have recommended Nicola Griffith - I have both Slow River and Ammonite on the reading list for this year. I don't know why I've never read them before. I greatly anticipate discovering her work. And about the book I recommended....Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge....she's Griffith's partner/gf/wife/lover/whatever-appropriate-word.

Edited by HRO 2014-02-23 5:59 AM
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-23 12:24 PM (#6566 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks, HRO. I think I'm going to end up reading both of Kiernan's because it's so hard to choose, and I added that Kelley Eskridge book because I just cannot get into Palimpsest, as much as I want to.

Ammonite is the Griffith book I read and it's great. I'm reading Hild next.

I have decided, FTR, that N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon counts for this challenge. I don't know yet if the sequel would, though.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-03-05 1:32 PM (#6675 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Another LGBT author: Poppy Z. Brite.

Also, my sister tells me that one of the protagonists (Sleeping Beauty) of Jim Hines' Princess series is a lesbian, but I'm not sure which of the books in the series feature her heavily.
HRO
Posted 2014-03-08 5:19 AM (#6687 - in reply to #6675)
Quote Reply

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - 2014-03-05 2:32 PM

Also, my sister tells me that one of the protagonists (Sleeping Beauty) of Jim Hines' Princess series is a lesbian, but I'm not sure which of the books in the series feature her heavily.

According to this:

Talia....is a Princess with a past, and her fairy gifts, originally intended to make her more graceful and princess-y have instead helped her to become something like a ninja. As a side note, shes also a lesbian.

Talias story doesnt become fully fleshed out until the third book in the series, Red Hoods Revenge, where the three princesses have to travel back to her home country of Arathea.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-03-10 11:10 PM (#6707 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Sweet! Thanks, HRO.

I haven't read any of Hines' novels, but my sister tells me "they are like Neil Gaiman meets Disney."
illegible_scribble
Posted 2014-07-06 7:50 AM (#8112 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (who is of Japanese/American heritage) has a LGBT, POC protagonist and would be eligible for either the LGBT Challenge, the Women of Genre Fiction Challenge, or the 2014 Authors of Color Challenge.

In addition, the main character suffers from a severely-debiliting chronic, terminal illness -- and I thought that theme was really well-handled.

I quite enjoyed the book. I prefer my SFF very light on the romance (regardless of whether it's gay, straight, or other), so I thought the romantic stuff was a bit OTT. But YMMV -- and the book is fantastic, especially for a debut author.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2014-07-06 7:53 AM
Dlw28
Posted 2014-08-22 11:36 AM (#8342 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Hi-just wondering if someone could tell me which of deLint's books would qualify for this challenge? I usually listen to one book and read another-and it's so confusing if both are fantasy or both are scifi-so I'd like a fantasy rec!
Thanks
Posted 2014-08-22 2:20 PM (#8343 - in reply to #8342)
Quote Reply

Dlw28 - 2014-08-22 11:36 AM

Hi-just wondering if someone could tell me which of deLint's books would qualify for this challenge? I usually listen to one book and read another-and it's so confusing if both are fantasy or both are scifi-so I'd like a fantasy rec!
Thanks

I wish I could help you but I'm unfamiliar with the author! Um... might help to check goodreads and see which ones are tagged as LGBT lit? (The actual tag might read "gay and lesbian," can't remember exactly.)

So Benjanun Sriduangkaew -- she was a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award this year -- is about to release her novella Scale-Bright, which qualifies for the LGBT, Authors of Color, WoGF, Books Released in 2014, Fantasia, and Short Fiction challenge. I received an ARC so I've read it and it's... pretty amazing y'all. It's urban fantasy, which is not normally thing, and there's a strong romantic subplot, which is not normally my thing either. But there's also Chinese mythic fiction, which is my thing, and -- well, let's just say that I predict this one will Win Awards, and it's one of the most enjoyable works I've read this year in spite of so much in it not being my thing exactly. Strongly recommended.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-08-22 2:22 PM (#8344 - in reply to #6532)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Whoops -- above post was me, y'all. Didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
spoltz
Posted 2014-08-22 2:38 PM (#8345 - in reply to #8342)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I haven't read him either and was wondering which of his books were LGBT themed. When I've told people about this challenge, they ask excitedly, "Have you read de Lint?" but when asked for specifics, they can never tell me a title. Okay, it was all of two people. But I am interested in reading him soon.
HRO
Posted 2014-08-30 5:13 AM (#8382 - in reply to #8342)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Dlw28 - 2014-08-22 12:36 PM

Thanks

de Lint used to be one of my favorite authors and I've read a good portion of the Newford books. I honestly don't recall anything from any of his books that would qualify him for this challenge.

A google search shows that a story in his Moonlight & Vines collection features a lesbian character. I haven't read that collection of stories, though, so I can't verify that.

And I'm quite certain he's married so no qualifier there, either.

Edited by HRO 2014-08-30 5:25 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)