Black Thorn, White Rose
Open Road Integrated Media, 2014
|Series:||Fairy Tale Anthologies: Book 2|
|Avg Member Rating:||
Eighteen masterful fairy tales for adults from a remarkable gathering of contemporary Grimms and Andersens, the new princesses and princes of fantastical fiction
World Fantasy Award-winning editors Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling return with another superb collection of wonders and terrors. In Black Thorn, White Rose, the magical tales we were told at bedtime have been upended, turned inside out, reshaped, and given a keen, distinctly adult edge by eighteen of the most acclaimed storytellers ever to reinvent a fairy tale. Our favorite characters, from Sleeping Beauty to Rumpelstiltskin to the Gingerbread Man, are here but in different guises, brought to new life by such masters as Nancy Kress, Jane Yolen, Storm Constantine, and the late, great Roger Zelazny.
These breathtaking tales of dark enchantments range from the tragic and poignant to the humorous to the horrifying to the simply astonishing. The story of an aging woodcutter persuaded to help a desperate prince make his way through the brambles to save a sleeping beauty twists ingeniously around like the thorny wall that impedes them. The fable of an all-controlling queen mother who faces her most fearsome adversary in a sensitive princess who appears mysteriously during a storm is a dark, disturbing masterpiece. And readers will long remember the exquisite tale of Death, his godson, football, and MTV.
Anyone who has ever loved or even feared the old tales of witches and trolls and remarkable transformations will find much to admire in this extraordinary collection--happily ever after or not.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction - essay by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow
- Words Like Pale Stones - novelette by Nancy Kress
- Stronger than Time - novelette by Patricia C. Wrede
- Somnus's Fair Maid - novelette by Ann Downer
- The Frog King, or Iron Henry - shortstory by Daniel Quinn
- Near-Beauty - shortstory by M. E. Beckett
- Ogre - shortstory by Michael Kandel
- Can't Catch Me - shortstory by Michael Cadnum
- Journeybread Recipe - shortstory by Lawrence Schimel
- The Brown Bear of Norway - shortstory by Isabel Cole
- The Goose Girl - shortstory by Tim Wynne-Jones
- Tattercoats - novelette by Midori Snyder
- Granny Rumple - shortstory by Jane Yolen
- The Sawing Boys - novelette by Howard Waldrop
- Godson - novelette by Roger Zelazny
- Ashputtle - novelette by Peter Straub
- Silver and Gold - poem by Ellen Steiber
- Sweet Bruising Skin - novelette by Storm Constantine
- The Black Swan - novelette by Susan Wade
- Recommended Reading - essay by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow
No excerpt currently exists for this novel.
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel.