Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi
Subterranean Press, 2016
This book does not appear to be part of a series. If this is incorrect, and you know the name of the series to which it belongs, please let us know.
|Avg Member Rating:||
The ex-planet Pluto has a few choice words about being thrown out of the solar system. A listing of alternate histories tells you all the various ways Hitler has died. A lawyer sues an interplanetary union for dangerous working conditions. And four artificial intelligences explain, in increasingly worrying detail, how they plan not to destroy humanity.
Welcome to Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi.
These four stories, along with fourteen other pieces, have one thing in common: They're short, sharp, and to the point -- science fiction in miniature, with none of the stories longer than 2,300 words. But in that short space exist entire universes, absurd situations, and the sort of futuristic humor that propelled Scalzi to a Hugo with his novel Redshirts. Not to mention yogurt taking over the world (as it would).
Spanning the years from 1991 to 2016, this collection is a quarter century of Scalzi at his briefest and best, and features four never-before-printed stories, exclusive to this collection: "Morning Announcements at the Lucas Interspecies School for Troubled Youth," "Your Smart Appliances Talk About You Behind Your Back," "Important Holidays on Gronghu" and "The AI Are Absolutely Positively Without a Doubt Not Here to End Humanity, Honest."
Table of Contents
- Introduction, or, Let's Keep This Short
- Alien Animal Encounters
- Missives from Possible Futures #1: Alternate History Search Results
- Pluto Tells All
- Denise Jones, Superbooker
- When the Yogurt Took Over
- The Other Large Thing
- The State of Super Villainy
- New Directives for Employee-Manxtse Interactions
- To Sue the World
- How I Keep Myself Amused on Long Flights: A Twitter Tale
- How I Keep Myself Amused on Long Flights, Part II: The Gremlining
- Life on Earth: Human-Alien Relations
- Morning Announcements at the Lucas Interspecies School for Troubled Youth
- Your Smart Appliances Talk About You Behind Your Back
- The AI are Absolutely Positively Without a Doubt Not Here to End Humanity, Honest
- Important Holidays on Gronghu
- Cute Adorable Extortionists
No excerpt currently exists for this novel. Be the first to submit one!
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel. Be the first to submit one!