J. R. R. Tolkien
Biography | Works in WWEnd | Images | Videos | Blogs | Search
||January 3, 1892
||September 2, 1973
||Writer, Philologist, Professor
J.R.R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973), beloved throughout the world as the creator of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, was a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, a fellow of Pembroke College, and a fellow of Merton College until his retirement in 1959. His chief interest was the linguistic aspects of the early English written tradition, but even as he studied these classics he was creating a set of his own.
Works in the WWEnd Database
No images currently exist for this author. Be the first to add one.
Submit an Image
Submit a Video Link from YouTube
J. R. R. Tolkien in Blogs
- WH Auden told JRR Tolkien to cut the love story from Lord of the Rings
Well, not all of the love stories, necessarily ? just Aragorn and Arwen, which he described as "perfunctory" and "unnecessary." Do you agree? And what other fictional love stories would you have advised their authors to ...
- JRR Tolkien almost cut out Arwen/Aragorn romance from LOTR
Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien almost axed the love story between Aragorn and Arwen in the Lord of the Rings? Why cut the pathos that comes from human/elf romance? Shipping, that's why. Back in 1955, poet W.H. Auden ...
- J.R.R Tolkien in Modern Advertising - GalleyCat - Mediabistro
oneringtorule Valerio Amaro, a student at Miami Ad School Berlin, has created a Tumblr blog that combines her two passions: advertising and The Lord of the Rings. She has taken text from J.R.R. Tolkien novels and adapted ...
- 'One Ad to Rule Them All," advertising reimagined in J.R.R Tolkien's ...
Valerio Amaro, a student at Miami Ad School Berlin, created some very funny images at this tumblr. "I have two passions in life: advertising and The Lord of the Rings," she says. "I wanted to find a way to combine them, so i ...
- If J.R.R. Tolkien Wrote Ads (11 Photos) : theCHIVE
Amaro states ?I wanted to find a way to combine them, so i asked myself, what would happen if J.R.R Tolkien worked in advertising?? You would think one does not simply combine the two, but see for yourself? 2. tolkien ads 0 ...
- Sochi Social: 5 Signs The Olympics Were Planned By JRR Tolkien ...
It's hard to miss the fact that while the Games appear to be concerned with sports, they are about something else entirely.
- J.R.R. Tolkien's Little-Known, Gorgeous Art | Brain Pickings
Storytelling icon J.R.R. Tolkien (January 3, 1892?September 2, 1973) was also among those rare creators with semi-secret talents in a discipline other than their primary realm of fame ? but while his original sketches for the ...
- What if JRR Tolkien had worked in advertising? | Mark Pack
Very clever stuff from Valerio Amaro, imagining the adverts JRR Tolkien would have made for major brands.
- Was Tolkien an Evangelist? - Patheos
Last year I was in Oxford and had the privilege of meeting Priscilla Tolkien?J.R.R.Tolkien's daughter. I commented on her father's work and said I reckoned he was the best Catholic evangelist of the twentieth century.
- Reactionary Catholics Warn of the Evils of J.R.R. Tolkien - Patheos
You knew it had to happen. In the ever purging and purifying world of uber-super-pure Reactionary Catholicism, the Lidless Eye has finally turned its gaze upon Tolkien and found him to be Not Really Catholic. Rorate Coeli ...
- Waiting for Godot to Leave: Joseph Pearce and J. R. R. Tolkien
Meanwhile, Joseph Pearce has been tirelessly promoting the Catholicism of J. R. R. Tolkien as a key to reading The Lord of the Rings. And it seems Rome is catching on! See the article on page 12 of this issue of ...
- J. R. R. Tolkien on Fairy Tales, Language, the Psychology of ...
On March 8, 1939, J. R. R. Tolkien, celebrated as one of the greatest fantasy writers in history, gave a lecture titled ?Fairy Stories,? eventually adapted into an essay retitled ?On Fairy-Stories? and included in the appendix to ...
- J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic in the Works - The Hollywood Reporter
J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, is getting the biopic treatment.
- If J.R.R. Tolkien Worked In Advertising - MightyMega
A young advertising student as the question, What would happen if J.R.R Tolkien worked in advertising?
- J.R.R. Tolkien's World War One revolver on display at the Imperial ...
The service revolver worn by J.R.R. Tolkien at the Battle of the Somme is now on display at the Imperial War Museum in Greater Manchester. The revolver is.