open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: No reality has the power to dispel a dream. -- Lemony Snicket (When Did You See Her Last?)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here! Part II
[Frozen]

Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : < ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... >
Now viewing page 32 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

valashain
Posted 2017-05-27 4:57 AM (#15781 - in reply to #15779)
Subject: Re: Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here! Part II

Uber User

controuble - 2017-05-27 4:23 AM Hi, again. Sorry to be such a pest lately, but could someone please add The Innkeeper Chronicles Volume I by Ilona Andrews - publisher is Subterranean Press. Or just add the 3 novels in it separately - Clean Sweep, Sweep in Peace, and One Fell Sweep. Thanks, again.

The omnibus is in.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2017-06-02 5:01 AM (#15800 - in reply to #15781)
Subject: Re: Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here! Part II

Elite Veteran

Please could you add Jaye Well's Prospero's War series? Dirty Magic, Cursed Moon,and Deadly Spells.
Thanks!
Rhondak101
Posted 2017-06-02 7:58 AM (#15801 - in reply to #13563)

Uber User

Propsero's War serie in, plus an extra novella.
Dlw28
Posted 2017-06-02 9:04 PM (#15805 - in reply to #15801)

Extreme Veteran

Could you please add Jodi Taylor's latest book All the Rest is History? Thank you
valashain
Posted 2017-06-03 3:15 AM (#15807 - in reply to #15805)

Uber User

Dlw28 - 2017-06-03 4:04 AM Could you please add Jodi Taylor's latest book All the Rest is History? Thank you

Book 8 and 9 have been added.

Weesam
Posted 2017-06-03 4:26 AM (#15808 - in reply to #15807)

Uber User

June is upon us, and with it comes a list of new books on Fiction Affliction. So, can someone please add:

Necessary Monsters by Richard Kirk
A Gathering of Ravens by Scott Oden
Dark Immolation by Christopher Husberg (Chaos Queen book 2)
Julia Defiant by Catherine Egan (Witch's Child book 2)
The Queen of Swords by R.S. Belcher (Golgotha book 3)
The Changeling by Victor LaValle
Flashmob by Christopher Farnsworth (John Smith book 2 - book 1 is Killfile, which is in but not listed as a series)

Thanks
Rhondak101
Posted 2017-06-03 8:16 AM (#15813 - in reply to #15808)

Uber User

I will start on these. Rhonda
Rhondak101
Posted 2017-06-03 10:20 AM (#15814 - in reply to #15808)

Uber User

Necessary Monsters by Richard Kirk DONE

A Gathering of Ravens by Scott Oden DONE

Dark Immolation by Christopher Husberg (Chaos Queen book 2) DONE

Julia Defiant by Catherine Egan (Witch's Child book 2) NOT IN ISFDB YET. 

The Queen of Swords by R.S. Belcher (Golgotha book 3) DONE

The Changeling by Victor LaValle DONE

Flashmob by Christopher Farnsworth (John Smith book 2) NOT IN ISFDB YET, BUT I FIXED KILLFILE TO #1.

I will wait on the Egan and the Farmsworth to make sure I have the publishing info correct. I also added Kay Kenyon At the Table of Wolves and Martha Wells The Harbors of the Sun that were left over from last month. 

Laffer
Posted 2017-06-03 10:28 PM (#15819 - in reply to #15814)

Is it too early to get a couple of books for July added?

Afterlife by Marcus Sakey
Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman

They are due out in July.

Edited by Laffer 2017-06-03 10:31 PM
jontlaw
Posted 2017-06-03 10:30 PM (#15820 - in reply to #13563)

Veteran

Hey. Looking for Tales of Majipoor by Robert Silverberg. Not sure where it fits in with the other Majipoor books yet, just know that I have it now. thanks
Weesam
Posted 2017-06-03 10:35 PM (#15821 - in reply to #15820)

Uber User

Hey Rhonda

Thanks for adding those books.

Regarding Flashmob and Julia Defiant - why do they need to be in ISFDB to be added to this database? ISFDB does not have every book and can be open to errors as it is very easy for anyone to sign up and add things. Publication information for both those books is easy enough to find in other sources, including the publishers websites.

Books are being added to this database all the time by other Ubers that are not in ISFDB.
valashain
Posted 2017-06-04 3:11 AM (#15822 - in reply to #15819)

Uber User

Laffer - 2017-06-04 5:28 AM Is it too early to get a couple of books for July added? Afterlife by Marcus Sakey Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman They are due out in July.

A month or two ahead of publication is fine. These two are in plus a bonus Sakey book.

valashain
Posted 2017-06-04 3:20 AM (#15823 - in reply to #15820)

Uber User

jontlaw - 2017-06-04 5:30 AM Hey. Looking for Tales of Majipoor by Robert Silverberg. Not sure where it fits in with the other Majipoor books yet, just know that I have it now. thanks

Always a Silverberg that isn't in yet. This one is entry 161.

Rhondak101
Posted 2017-06-04 8:12 AM (#15826 - in reply to #15821)

Uber User

Weesam - 2017-06-03 11:35 PMHey RhondaThanks for adding those books.Regarding Flashmob and Julia Defiant - why do they need to be in ISFDB to be added to this database? ISFDB does not have every book and can be open to errors as it is very easy for anyone to sign up and add things. Publication information for both those books is easy enough to find in other sources, including the publishers websites. Books are being added to this database all the time by other Ubers that are not in ISFDB.
Hi Weesam,I realize that ISFDB is also crowd sourced. When we started adding books a few years ago, Dave told us to use ISFDB as "the gold standard" for publishing info, etc. I have generally followed that advice, and found it helpful with many entries in the past, especially now that publisher are so complicated with subsidiaries and buy-outs. So, I generally wait to see what ISFDB says, and work from there. For example, I found two different publishers for one of those two books you asked for. I don't know if other Uber Users do that or not. Rhonda
Weesam
Posted 2017-06-04 5:18 PM (#15830 - in reply to #15826)

Uber User

Hi Rhonda, thanks for your reply. It is an interesting dilemma, and certainly I agree that publishing these days is very complicated.

I will point out that Laffer has requested a couple of books after me. Neither are in ISFDB. Both have been added. So this was not an issue for whoever added them.

Julia Defiant and Flashmob are now in ISFDB because I went and added them myself. So I guess they can be added here now?

I have been adding books to the ISFDB database for years, and I would never rely on it as my only source of information, although I do believe it is excellent or I wouldn't be bothering adding to it. The problem with it is that I add one edition. Others will come along and add other editions that they have. It builds up over time to an excellent resource. But for new and forthcoming releases like these two it isn't as good because it hasn't had time for hundreds of people to be adding all the information. If we were relying only on ISFDB I think we would have very few new releases in this database.

Thanks for your help
valashain
Posted 2017-06-05 2:47 AM (#15833 - in reply to #15830)

Uber User

Weesam - 2017-06-05 12:18 AM Hi Rhonda, thanks for your reply. It is an interesting dilemma, and certainly I agree that publishing these days is very complicated. I will point out that Laffer has requested a couple of books after me. Neither are in ISFDB. Both have been added. So this was not an issue for whoever added them. Julia Defiant and Flashmob are now in ISFDB because I went and added them myself. So I guess they can be added here now? I have been adding books to the ISFDB database for years, and I would never rely on it as my only source of information, although I do believe it is excellent or I wouldn't be bothering adding to it. The problem with it is that I add one edition. Others will come along and add other editions that they have. It builds up over time to an excellent resource. But for new and forthcoming releases like these two it isn't as good because it hasn't had time for hundreds of people to be adding all the information. If we were relying only on ISFDB I think we would have very few new releases in this database. Thanks for your help

One of the things I like about ISFDB is that they check as much as possible with physical books. Especially for older works this is invaluable. Their database is by no means complete, but if they list an edition of a particular book you can be reasonably sure it exists.They tend to work about a month in advance for new releases, which is a bit less then we do. A lot of books we have already added are not in ISFDB yet.

For thesee new releases I tend to check multiple sources when I am not sure. Amazon is notoriously unreliable on just about everything from release dates to pagecount (which thankfully we don't need on WWend). Publisher and author websites are a good secondary source, as is locus (although that one has its issues too). The publisher of the previous book in the series can also be an indication but again not foolproof.

What can be especially confusing about publishers is the huge number of imprints some of them run. To give an example, ISFD lists 18 different Bantams and they are probably not the worst. Sometimes places like Amazon put them under the parent company, sometimes they don't. It can even differ between ebooks and dead tree even though the same company holds the rights. I'm reasonably sure we have quite a few books under the wrong imprint in the database. I can usually figure it out, but if it takes too long, especially with books that aren't released yet, I prefer to wait.

Weesam
Posted 2017-06-05 6:45 PM (#15843 - in reply to #15833)

Uber User

Hey Valashain

I agree with everything you have said and I think all you Ubers do a marvelous job in getting books added to the database.

However my point is that I am being told that two new June releases cannot be added to the database because they are not in ISFDB and no other reason. As you have said for new releases in particular we sometimes need to look further afield for information. Clearly you are doing this and adding new release books to the database before they are in ISFDB. I don't understand why only the two books I have requested, Julia Defiant and Flashmob, are being subjected to this "only once they are in ISFDB" rule when the information on both can be found on the publishers websites - which you say you look for information on if they are not in ISFDB. I am not trying to make trouble, as I said, I believe you all do a fantastic job.

And as both books now meet the ISFDB rule, can they now be added here?

Thanks
pgcarron
Posted 2017-06-05 9:40 PM (#15845 - in reply to #13563)

Please add The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga #1) by Elise Kova

Edited by pgcarron 2017-06-05 9:41 PM
illegible_scribble
Posted 2017-06-06 12:30 AM (#15847 - in reply to #15845)

Uber User

pgcarron - 2017-06-06 2:40 PM
Please add The Alchemists of Loom (Loom Saga #1) by Elise Kova

From what I can tell, this book has been published by a print-on-demand self-publishing service, and as such, falls outside the guidelines for inclusion in the WWEnd database.

illegible_scribble
Posted 2017-06-06 12:50 AM (#15848 - in reply to #15808)

Uber User

Weesam - 2017-06-03 9:26 PM
Julia Defiant by Catherine Egan
Flashmob by Christopher Farnsworth

I've added these two. On rare occasions when the ISFDB has been slow to get books added, I check both Amazon US and UK (because it's common to have 2 different publishers in those countries), all versions (because it's not uncommon to have the e-book from a different imprint or publisher), and the publishers' websites to get complete Publisher information. For book entries like this and other issues (such as a Kindle number being really, really slow to make its appearance) I make a note in a file which I keep on my computer and periodically re-check for updates.

Weesam
Posted 2017-06-06 1:18 AM (#15849 - in reply to #15848)

Uber User

Thanks, I appreciate it. It is a wonderful job you guys do for us, and no easy task. I think we all appreciate the dedication and time you all put in to make this website as good as possible.
daxxh
Posted 2017-06-06 1:45 AM (#15850 - in reply to #15849)

Extreme Veteran

Can someone add the Excalibur Rising series by Eileen Enwright Hodgetts? Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/Excalibur-Rising-Eileen-Enwright-Hodgetts/d...
https://smile.amazon.com/Excalibur-Rising-Book-Two/dp/0692735976/ref...
https://smile.amazon.com/Excalibur-Rising-Book-Three-3/dp/0998215422...
illegible_scribble
Posted 2017-06-06 2:04 AM (#15851 - in reply to #15850)

Uber User

daxxh - 2017-06-06 6:45 PM
Can someone add the Excalibur Rising series by Eileen Enwright Hodgetts?

Hi daxxh,

This is another one of those self-publishing platforms, and as such, these books fall outside the guidelines for inclusion in the WWEnd database.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2017-06-06 2:07 AM
Slinkyboy
Posted 2017-06-06 10:36 AM (#15852 - in reply to #15851)

Uber User

Could someone add Anne Logston's Shadow and Dagger series?

Shadow
1. Shadow
2. Shadow Dance
3. Shadow Hunt

Dagger
1. Dagger's Edge
2. Dagger's Point

Thanks!
valashain
Posted 2017-06-06 12:57 PM (#15853 - in reply to #15852)

Uber User

Slinkyboy - 2017-06-06 5:36 PM Could someone add Anne Logston's Shadow and Dagger series? Shadow 1. Shadow 2. Shadow Dance 3. Shadow Hunt Dagger 1. Dagger's Edge 2. Dagger's Point Thanks!

These are in.

Jump to page : < ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... >
Now viewing page 32 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)