open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The silence of the world could not rein back it's greed. Not any longer. Not when it had virtually won. - Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Requests for WoGF - part deux
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

thecynicalromantic
Posted 2013-08-31 10:52 AM (#5548 - in reply to #4870)
Subject: Re: Requests for WoGF - part deux
Quote Reply

Hi,

I've just started reading Alaya Dawn Johnson's novel "Moonshine"; I'd love to be able to count it towards my WoGF challenge as I am planning on writing a review for it anyway for my own blog. Johnson does not seem to be on the Women Authors page and searching for the book yields up a book with the same title but by a different author.

Thanks so much.

Edited by thecynicalromantic 2013-08-31 10:53 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2013-09-04 1:58 PM (#5554 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

Uber User

In addition to the Nancy Kress I mentioned above (After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall), I'd also like to request Aliette de Bodard's Obsidian and Blood trilogy:

Servant of the Underworld
Harbinger of the Storm
Master of the House of Darts

I can make it without either of those, so I guess they can be low priority. In fact I'm about two thirds of the way to being able to repeat this challenge next year.
tecolote
Posted 2013-09-20 6:55 PM (#5597 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

New User

Could you please ad Mary SanGiovanni's The Hollower? It is a pretty good horror novel by a female author that I just finished and I'd like to count that toward my WOGF.
BlondeRecovery
Posted 2013-09-28 11:21 PM (#5617 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

New User

Could we please add Sarah Monette's "Melusine", as well as Naomi Mitchison's "Travel Light"? Both have been fantastic reads!
Administrator
Posted 2013-10-01 6:58 PM (#5623 - in reply to #5617)
Quote Reply

Admin

As a note to all here, my home computer gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago (motherboard fried) so I'm without a machine to do updates on except for my work PC which I can only use at lunch and after hours.  The after hours part is what stinks.  Half the time when I stay late to try and catch up on WWEnd stuff I get rooked into doing more client work.  You can imagine how thrilled I am with that scenario.

I'm looking into finding a temp machine to get me by for a few months whilst I await the coming of the new MacPro sometime in December.  I decided (and my wife allowed me to treat myself to the latest and greatest machine some months back and my PC crapped out at a most inopportune time.  Damn you, Murphy!

Anyway, that's why the updates have been so sparse across the whole site and the blog.  One day I'll get back on track but until then thanks for your patience.

bstittle
Posted 2013-10-01 9:13 PM (#5624 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

Would you please add Kristal Stittle's Survival Instinct? It is her first published zombie book and is getting great reviews on amazon.com. There is a sequel coming out later this year. Thank you! p.s. this would be a great addition toward anyone's WOGF.
gloker
Posted 2013-10-02 11:11 AM (#5625 - in reply to #5623)
Quote Reply

Oh Dave,
what a terrible drag!
SO sorry with all the work you do to support this site to have your computer die before you can replace it!
Appreciate all you do>>> whenever you are able!
g
KaraAyako
Posted 2013-10-05 4:54 PM (#5638 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

New User

Thanks for all you're doing here, Dave! When you have the time, could you please add the following:
The Oathbound - Mercedes Lackey
Delirium - Lauren Oliver
The Ghost Bride - Yangsze Choo

And IF this counts as science fiction, could you please add:
Goodbye for Now - Laurie Frankel
(It could go either way.)
ersandoval
Posted 2013-10-16 10:38 PM (#5674 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

New User

Could you please add Divinity and the Python by Bonnie Randall (Panverse Publishing)? I've got a review ready to go, and since it's small-press published, I'd love to see it reach a wider audience through your site. (Disclaimer: the publisher is a friend of mine, but this really is a fantastic book.)
Graham Vingoe
Posted 2013-10-22 5:40 AM (#5683 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

I hope this doesn't cause you any extra work but Ann leckie is on your main databse of authors but without a link to the WOGF - Can that be added in as I'm planning to read Ancillary Justice in the next couple of weeks
DrNefario
Posted 2013-10-22 7:48 AM (#5684 - in reply to #5554)
Quote Reply

Uber User

DrNefario - 2013-09-04 7:58 PM

In addition to the Nancy Kress I mentioned above (After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall), I'd also like to request Aliette de Bodard's Obsidian and Blood trilogy:

Servant of the Underworld
Harbinger of the Storm
Master of the House of Darts
Thanks for adding these.
Administrator
Posted 2013-10-22 8:04 AM (#5685 - in reply to #5683)
Quote Reply

Admin

Graham Vingoe - 2013-10-22 5:40 AM I hope this doesn't cause you any extra work but Ann leckie is on your main databse of authors but without a link to the WOGF - Can that be added in as I'm planning to read Ancillary Justice in the next couple of weeks

D'oh!  Thanks, Graham, for pointing that out.  I forgot to flag her in the database.  It's fixed now.

Administrator
Posted 2013-10-22 8:06 AM (#5686 - in reply to #5684)
Quote Reply

Admin

Thanks for adding these.

No problem.  We're in the middle of adding a batch right now.  I'll post all the books here when the rest get input.  It feels good to finally get to some of these requests

Administrator
Posted 2013-10-22 8:21 AM (#5687 - in reply to #5686)
Quote Reply

Admin

OK, I just realized that Jonathan had finished the batch this morning so here are the newest books:

We also got around to a bunch of non-WoGF book requests which you can see in this thread.

Happy reading!

Linguana
Posted 2013-11-14 2:19 PM (#5756 - in reply to #4870)
Subject: RE: Requests for WoGF - part deux
Quote Reply

Could you add Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach (Rachel Aaron)?

I just read and loved it and would like submit my review for the challenge. Pretty please?
Administrator
Posted 2013-11-20 8:13 PM (#5776 - in reply to #5756)
Subject: RE: Requests for WoGF - part deux
Quote Reply

Admin

Time for some new books.  We've added a bunch of new authors over the last few weeks along with more Barbara Hambly than you can shake s stick at.  Rachecl Bach is on the list now... since you said pretty please

ahmmel
Posted 2013-11-24 7:09 PM (#5787 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

New User

Could you please add Tanya Huff's Summon the Keeper?

Thanks for all the hard work on this challenge, by the way!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-12-05 10:49 AM (#5800 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Okay, I know I've finished but could you add Marianne de Pierres Nylon Angel (2004). I've read it and want to record that I have read something by this author. It's the first of her Parish Plessis series set in a post apocalyptic Australia (the others are Code Noir and Crash Deluxe).
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-12-05 10:58 AM (#5801 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

Uber User

In fact I wonder if you would consider adding the Australian Aurealis Award for SF and for Fantasy. You have several of the books/authors already de Peierres, Greg Egan, Garth Nix etc. It would extend the lists beyond the US/UK.
Administrator
Posted 2013-12-10 6:03 PM (#5817 - in reply to #5801)
Quote Reply

Admin

Here are some of the most recent books added by women authors.  Lots of Julian May, Ann Aguirre and Melanie Rawn among others this time.  A little too late for the challenge I suppose but we don't intend to stop adding new women just because the WoGF is winding down.  Happy reading!

See some other new stuff in the general request thread too.

Administrator
Posted 2013-12-10 6:05 PM (#5818 - in reply to #5787)
Quote Reply

Admin

ahmmel - 2013-11-24 7:09 PM Could you please add Tanya Huff's Summon the Keeper? Thanks for all the hard work on this challenge, by the way!

Those are on the list and thank you for supporting WWEnd and the challenge!  It has been a lot of hard work but it sure has been fun too.

Administrator
Posted 2013-12-10 6:06 PM (#5819 - in reply to #5800)
Quote Reply

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2013-12-05 10:49 AM Okay, I know I've finished but could you add Marianne de Pierres Nylon Angel (2004). I've read it and want to record that I have read something by this author. It's the first of her Parish Plessis series set in a post apocalyptic Australia (the others are Code Noir and Crash Deluxe).

On the list!

Administrator
Posted 2013-12-10 6:12 PM (#5820 - in reply to #5801)
Quote Reply

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2013-12-05 10:58 AM In fact I wonder if you would consider adding the Australian Aurealis Award for SF and for Fantasy. You have several of the books/authors already de Peierres, Greg Egan, Garth Nix etc. It would extend the lists beyond the US/UK.

I tell ya, I'm feeling the itch to add a new award and the Aurealis has been on my mind for a long time.  Not sure that will be the next but it's in the running for sure.  We tend to look for the low hanging fruit first, which this really isn't, but it would add a bunch of new authors to the site which I really like.  I'll look at our list again and see what looks good.  It won't be until after the new year though since we're planning the 2014 challenge still.

Dlw28
Posted 2013-12-21 2:08 PM (#5856 - in reply to #4870)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Oh please give us a hint a out the 2014 challenge!! Pretty please??!! Those of us in the cold, dark north need hope for light and stories on this Solstice day.
Administrator
Posted 2013-12-21 2:22 PM (#5857 - in reply to #5856)
Quote Reply

Admin

Dlw28 - 2013-12-21 2:08 PM Oh please give us a hint a out the 2014 challenge!! Pretty please??!! Those of us in the cold, dark north need hope for light and stories on this Solstice day.

I wish I could but we're just not ready to reveal it.  We met last night and finalized the plan but we have some adjustments to the tracking code to make before we can kick it off.  We may be a few days late launching so look for it after New Year's.  We think it's going to be really good.  It's not one that has been done before as far as we can tell.  We're predicting it will be bigger than the WoGF but we've got our fingers crossed just the same.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Frozen New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)