Best SF: 1972
|Alternate Title:||The Year's Best Science Fiction No. 6|
|Author:||Brian W. Aldiss
Berkley Publishing Group, 1973
G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1973
|Series:||Best SF: Book 6|
|Avg Member Rating:||
THE MOST EXCITING FICTION OF OUR TIME! -- The most dynamic fiction of out time, science fiction is also the fastest-expanding, both in readership and in the range of authors who employ it. The established masters - mostly Americans, a few Englishmen -- continue to show the way. The established outlets -- American s-f magazines mostly, some original anthologies -- continue to provide most of its nurture. But faithful reading of a handful of American publications is no longer sufficient to keep up with the most exciting work being done.
Harry Harrison and Brian W. Aldiss have established this series as definitive in the field by looking much further afield. This year's selection is built around the established sources, but includes also a brilliant take by the Brazillian Andre Carneiro; and astonishing and delightful story by a young Ghanaian, Victor Sabah; and other unexpected pleasures.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction - (1973) - essay by Harry Harrison
- In the Matter of the Assassin Merefirs - (1972) - shortstory by Ken W. Purdy
- As for Our Fatal Continuity... - (1972) - shortstory by Brian W. Aldiss
- The Old Folks - (1972) - shortstory by James E. Gunn
- From Sea to Shining Sea - (1972) - shortstory by Jonathan Ela
- Weihnachtabend - (1972) - novelette by Keith Roberts
- Cartoon: "Invisibility Competition" - (1973) - interior artwork by Y. Aratovsky
- Cartoon: no caption - (1973) - interior artwork by O. Tesler
- Cartoon: "Grin and Bear It" - (1973) - interior artwork by Lichty
- Cartoon: no caption - (1973) - interior artwork by William Rotsler
- The Years - (1972) - shortstory by Robert F. Young
- Darkness - (1972) - shortstory by André Carneiro
- Cymbal Player - (1972) - poem by Lawrence Sail
- Report from the Planet Proteus - (1972) - poem by Lawrence Sail
- Columbus on St. Domenica - (1972) - poem by John Cotton (poet)
- After Death - (1972) - poem by Patricia Beer
- Faex Delenda Est - (1972) - poem by Theodore R. Cogswell
- Words of Warning - (1972) - shortstory by Alex Hamilton
- Out, Wit! - (1972) - shortstory by Howard L. Myers
- An Imaginary Journey to the Moon - (1972) - shortstory by Victor Sabah
- The Head and the Hand - (1972) - shortstory by Christopher Priest
- Hero - (1972) - novella by Joe Haldeman
- Afterword: The Year of the Big Spring Clean - (1973) - essay by Brian W. Aldiss
No excerpt currently exists for this novel.
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel.