Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror
Tachyon Publications, 2010
This book does not appear to be part of a series. If this is incorrect, and you know the name of the series to which it belongs, please let us know.
|Sub-Genre Tags:||Dark Fantasy|
Mythic Fiction (Horror)
|If you liked Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror you might like these books.|
|Avg Member Rating:||
Compiling the finest in frightening tales, this unique anthology offers a diverse selection of horror culled from the last 25 years. Hand selected from cutting-edge authors, each work blends subtle psychology and mischievousness with disturbingly visceral imagery. In the classic "Chattery Teeth," Stephen King provides a tautly drawn account of a traveling salesman who unwisely picks up yet another hitchhiker, while in Peter Straub's eerie "The Juniper Tree," a man whose nostalgia for the movies of his childhood leads to his stolen innocence.
Renowned fantasy author George R. R. Martin weaves a sinister yarn about a young woman encountering a neighbor who is overly enamored with her in "The Pear-Shaped Man." Combining acclaimed masters of the macabre, such as Clive Barker, Poppy Z. Brite, and Thomas Ligotti, with bold new talents to the genre, including Kelly Link, Neil Gaiman, and Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, this distinctive collection of stories will delight and terrify.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction - (2010) - essay by Ellen Datlow
- Foreword - (2010) - essay by Stefan Dziemianowicz
- Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament - (1984) - novelette by Clive Barker
- Dancing Chickens - (1984) - shortstory by Edward Bryant
- The Greater Festival of Masks - (1985) - shortstory by Thomas Ligotti
- The Pear-Shaped Man - (1987) - novelette by George R. R. Martin
- The Juniper Tree - (1988) - novelette by Peter Straub
- Two Minutes Forty-Five Seconds - (1988) - shortstory by Dan Simmons
- The Power and the Passion - (1989) - shortstory by Pat Cadigan
- The Phone Woman - (1990) - shortstory by Joe R. Lansdale
- Teratisms - (1991) - shortstory by Kathe Koja
- Chattery Teeth - (1992) - novelette by Stephen King
- A Little Night Music - (1992) - shortstory by Lucius Shepard
- Calcutta, Lord of Nerves - (1992) - shortstory by Poppy Z. Brite
- The Erl-King - (1993) - novelette by Elizabeth Hand
- The Dog Park - (1993) - shortstory by Dennis Etchison
- Rain Falls - (1994) - shortstory by Michael Marshall Smith
- Refrigerator Heaven - (1995) - shortstory by David J. Schow
- ¦¦¦¦¦ - (1995) - shortstory by Joyce Carol Oates
- Eaten (Scenes from a Moving Picture) - (1996) - poem by Neil Gaiman
- The Specialist's Hat - (1998) - shortstory by Kelly Link
- The Tree Is My Hat - (1999) - novelette by Gene Wolfe
- Heat - (1999) - shortstory by Steve Rasnic Tem
- No Strings - (2000) - shortstory by Ramsey Campbell
- Stitch - (2002) - shortstory by Terry Dowling
- Dancing Men - (2003) - novelette by Glen Hirshberg
- My Father's Mask - (2005) - novelette by Joe Hill
No excerpt currently exists for this novel. Be the first to submit one!
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel. Be the first to submit one!