SF Masterworks Reading Challenge 2016-17
I was inspired by an imprint called SF Masterworks to create a book club to read these legendary sci-fi classics together and critique them. This imprint will be our reading list. Our inaugural year was a smashing success! But I've learned a few things so this year I'm offering two different ways to approach the challenge:
1. Read 12 books of your choice from the SF Masterworks list.
2. Read along with the Science Fiction Masterworks Reading Club, which will be reading the entire list in order of publication. This year we will be reading:
- September: Martian Time-Slip by Philip K. Dick
- October: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- November: Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
- December: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
- January: The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard
- February: The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- March: Emphyrio by Jack Vance
- April: A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
- May: Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon
- June: Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock
- July: The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg
- August: The Time Machine & The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Our goals are:
1. To promote the reading of science fiction.
2. To share and discuss the classics of the genre as fans and literary critics.
3. To enjoy good reading in a subject that interests us as a social activity that we can share.
Care to join us?
*Note: Thanks to Illegible Scribble for changing the entry for The Book of Skulls to include it as a sci-fi/horror book also. I have changed the challenge back to only permit sci-fi as a result.
Note: You must be a logged in member of WWEnd to join this challenge. Join WWEnd