open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-19 9:33 PM (#12436 - in reply to #12435)
Subject: RE: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Just a quick question, how do we mark off the books we have read?

Great question. Here's the step-by-step:

--At the top of any page on the site, you'll find a search bar. Search the author or title.
--On the search results screen, click on the cover of the book you're looking for. (You can also do this by clicking on the covers other people have added on the challenge page).
--On the book page, in the middle, look for the BookTrackr section, where you can mark the book as "read", "reading", etc.
--At the bottom of the BookTrackr, if you've subscribed to the challenge, check the box marked "The Legendarium Podcast - The Year of Sanderson Reading Challenge".

Voila, the book is added! If the book is unread, it will show up as lighter/translucent on the challenge page. Once you've completed it (and marked it on the BookTrackr), it will be fully colored in. Also, note that the BookTrackr is where you can leave the reviews required in the challenge. Once you've reviewed the book, a small icon will show up under the book on the challenge page.

Hope that was clear! Let me know if you have more trouble.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2016-01-20 7:28 AM (#12441 - in reply to #12273)
Subject: Re: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I believe you also need to check "Add to My Reading List" to enable the challenge checkboxes.

I'm being very cagey about joining challenges this year, having overdone it last year, but I'm expecting to read at least one more Sanderson (Elantris) in the near future, and I really should finish the Wheel of Time, so maybe I'll join in later.
Posted 2016-01-21 3:36 AM (#12448 - in reply to #12434)
Quote Reply

TheLegendarium - 2016-01-19 8:51 PM

I've actually held off on reading them so that I could come in fresh for this challenge. I'm looking forward to them.

Sanderson does not introduce the Stormlight world gently, so it takes a while to understand who and what is going on. Patience is required.
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-21 3:38 AM (#12449 - in reply to #12434)
Quote Reply

How does one delete a post?

Edited by Glubbdrubb 2016-01-21 3:39 AM
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-27 4:29 PM (#12508 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Just started reading The Alloy of Law, and I'm excited to record our podcast about it in two weeks or so! First observation: Good heavens, this guy knows how to bait and set a hook. Has anyone else started this one yet?
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-28 1:00 AM (#12510 - in reply to #12508)
Quote Reply

TheLegendarium - 2016-01-28 12:29 AM

Has anyone else started this one yet?

"The Bands of Mourning" just came out, so you can read all 3 books in a row. I'm so jealous!

Edited by Glubbdrubb 2016-01-28 1:01 AM
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-30 2:54 PM (#12527 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read Elantris this weekend. And by weekend I mean, started it Saturday morning, and didn't get out of bed until I had finished it, a number of hours later. Couldn't put it down. I was a bit disturbed by the horrors of Elantris when I first started, but I soon got sucked into it.

I have been putting off reading Mistborn because it is always so highly recommended that I have a horrible feeling it can't live up to the hype and will be a letdown. After reading Elantris I am more willing to start Mistborn and believe Sanderson will not let me down.

Three books in and I am now a firm convert to Sanderson.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-30 4:40 PM (#12528 - in reply to #12527)
Quote Reply

After reading Elantris I am more willing to start Mistborn and believe Sanderson will not let me down.

I love (love love) Elantris, but Mistborn is my favorite. You won't be disappointed! To be fair, though, I haven't read the Stormlight Archives yet, and I'm told they're even better. We'll see.

Glad we did our part to get you hooked!
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-02 8:44 AM (#12563 - in reply to #12435)
Quote Reply

Admin

Guest - 2016-01-19 8:57 PM Just a quick question, how do we mark off the books we have read?

Go to the novel page for the book you've read and check "Read" in the My History line of the BookTrackr section.  Be sure to rate the book, post your review, check the box for the Sanderson Challenge etc. while you're at it, then click Submit.  Reminder: you have to be logged in to see the BookTrackr section.

Administrator
Posted 2016-02-02 8:47 AM (#12564 - in reply to #12563)
Quote Reply

Admin

FYI:  Brandon Sanderson is the guest on the latest edition of The Functional Nerds podcast.

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-05 12:16 PM (#12593 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

We're 10 days away from airing our first podcast of the challenge! We'll record an episode about The Alloy of Law in about a week, which gives any who haven't read it plenty of time. (It's really a pretty quick read.)

We'd like to hear from you about the book, so leave a few sentences here about the book (mark your spoilers!). Even better: leave a review on the book page.

We'll talk to you all in about a week!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-15 11:12 PM (#12691 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

THE FIRST EPISODE IS UP! Enjoy our discussion of The Alloy of Law. Special thanks this week to Weesam, for a few great quotes from this forum that we were able to use.

Weesam
Posted 2016-02-16 2:21 PM (#12703 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm quotable? Huh, who knew. Never been quotable before. I don't generally listen to podcasts, but I may have to make an exception and listen to this one!
sahawkfire
Posted 2016-02-22 4:32 PM (#12814 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Really enjoyed the Alloy of Law podcast! I've been a Mistborn fan for years, read Alloy of Law when it came out and thought it was alright-- love the new aspects to the characters' powers, didn't really like the style of humour and thought it ended on a *terrible* cliffhanger. Didn't get to Shadows of Self til just this past month as I got it as a birthday present, so I decided to reread Alloy of Law to prepare for the rest of the trilogy.

I doubt anyone would believe this-- I hardly believe I did it myself-- but you can imagine my surprise when I got to the final chapters of Alloy of Law and discovered there were two more chapters plus an epilogue beyond where I thought it ended. There was an actual resolution! I don't even know how that happened. I must've just been interrupted while I was reading last time and then somehow thought I had finished it? *facepalm*

So anyway, I went several years not knowing how Wax and friends got out of there alive. I find I like the book much better as a whole now though. Sigh. What the heck brain.

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-22 4:50 PM (#12815 - in reply to #12814)
Quote Reply

sahawkfire - 2016-02-22 4:32 PM

I must've just been interrupted while I was reading last time and then somehow thought I had finished it? *facepalm*

That's amazing! I'm sure that's happened to me in the past, too, but can't remember anything quite like it. The closest I think I've ever come is when I read and enjoyed the Hobbit as a kid, but totally rejected my friend's offer to loan me LotR about a year later just because I hated the title. I had no idea that they were in the same world, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

So have you read Shadows of Self yet? What do you think? Sounds like these would be good ones to leave reviews for on the site. (hint hint!)
sahawkfire
Posted 2016-02-22 4:58 PM (#12816 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Just finished it last night and immediately went and bought Bands of Mourning, which I'm currently about a third through. My initial feeling is that I liked it even better than AoL. I'll write up a little something on the book page just for you :P
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-22 8:33 PM (#12818 - in reply to #12816)
Quote Reply

Admin

So I have a confession to make.  I expected to hate Brandon Sanderson.  I have a natural instinct to pull away from anyone or anything that generates such a rabid following.  I usually chalk it up to fan boy/girl passions like the folks who try to tell you that the second Star Wars trilogy was good.  They love it because it's Star Wars and they've abandoned their critical faculties.  I lumped Sanderson fans into that group and never gave his books a fair shake.

Then along comes the Legendarium podcast and this challenge and I figure I'll finally prove to myself that his books suck.  Well, I tried to not like Mistborn.  I went into it with my pre-conceived notions flared but after a few chapters I started to warm to the story and characters.  A few chapters later I really started looking forward to getting back to the book.  Then one day I realized that I was finally getting why all of you are so crazy about his work.  Next thing I know I'm totally hooked!  I raced to the finish when I got home from work tonight and I've already bought the second book.  I can't type this fast enough knowing book 2 is waiting for me.

I have drunk the Kool-Aid and I find it delicious.  Now, if you'll excuse me...

AliasHandler
Posted 2016-02-22 8:44 PM (#12819 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Hey guys, happy to be a part of this challenge. Really getting sucked into a massive Cosmere re-read and really loving it so much on the re-read and catching all the Easter eggs that tie the Cosmere together. Really, what got me into the re-read was knowing that Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning were both coming out last year and I wanted to re-read the original Mistborn trilogy to refresh myself. Before I knew it I was done with the Mistborn trilogy (and found the Legendarium podcast on reddit somewhere along the way to supplement my re-read). Now I've blown through all the Mistborn books, Elantris, and every Cosmere short story and novella, and I'm halfway through with my re-read of Warbreaker. After that it's back to the Stormlight Archive. After that there better be new content or I will be completely lost. Anyway thanks for putting this challenge together and I'm looking forward to the upcoming podcasts!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-22 9:19 PM (#12821 - in reply to #12818)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2016-02-22 8:33 PM

I have drunk the Kool-Aid and I find it delicious.

This is an amazing note, thanks for letting us all know of your stunning conversion! I've been reading Sanderson since around the time he published Elantris, so I've never had to deal with the aversion you talk about, but I know exactly what you mean. Really glad you're enjoying it, and maybe we'll have to have you on the podcast at some point. After all, they say converts are the best missionaries!

AliasHandler - 2016-02-22 8:44 PM

After that it's back to the Stormlight Archive. After that there better be new content or I will be completely lost. Anyway thanks for putting this challenge together and I'm looking forward to the upcoming podcasts!

So excited to have you on board! If there's one thing we don't have to worry about with Sanderson, it's a shortage of content. In the less than 11 years since his debut (Elantris), I count 22 full-length (sometimes over-length, let's get real) novels, and at least 15 novellas and other shorter pieces. Outside of maybe Alexandre Dumas, I've never heard of someone as prolific as that. And he has no plans of slowing down!
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-02-23 8:14 AM (#12824 - in reply to #12819)
Quote Reply

AliasHandler - 2016-02-23 4:44 AM

Hey guys, happy to be a part of this challenge. Really getting sucked into a massive Cosmere re-read and really loving it so much on the re-read and catching all the Easter eggs that tie the Cosmere together.

Although it's not a part of this challenge, I strongly suggest you read "Mistborn: Secret History" after "Bands of Mourning". It's only available as an eBook. It explains a lot of Cosmere/Shard related mechanics. And it may or may not feature everyone's favourite Kelsier.
Posted 2016-02-23 8:27 AM (#12825 - in reply to #12824)
Quote Reply

Glubbdrubb - 2016-02-23 8:14 AM

AliasHandler - 2016-02-23 4:44 AM

Hey guys, happy to be a part of this challenge. Really getting sucked into a massive Cosmere re-read and really loving it so much on the re-read and catching all the Easter eggs that tie the Cosmere together.

Although it's not a part of this challenge, I strongly suggest you read "Mistborn: Secret History" after "Bands of Mourning". It's only available as an eBook. It explains a lot of Cosmere/Shard related mechanics. And it may or may not feature everyone's favourite Kelsier.

Way ahead of you! Both Bands of Mourning and Secret History were amazing.
ChristianSedai
Posted 2016-02-24 5:37 PM (#12843 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Mistborn secret history?
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-02-25 1:36 AM (#12845 - in reply to #12843)
Quote Reply

ChristianSedai - 2016-02-25 1:37 AM

Mistborn secret history?

http://brandonsanderson.com/books/mistborn/secret-history/

"Mistborn: Secret History builds upon the characterization, events, and worldbuilding of the original trilogy."
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-25 1:14 PM (#12846 - in reply to #12845)
Quote Reply

Glubbdrubb - 2016-02-25 1:36 AM

ChristianSedai - 2016-02-25 1:37 AM

Mistborn secret history?

http://brandonsanderson.com/books/mistborn/secret-history/

"Mistborn: Secret History builds upon the characterization, events, and worldbuilding of the original trilogy."

Brandon has warned repeatedly that there are huge spoilers for not only the original trilogy, but also for Bands of Mourning. So I'm waiting to read it until I'm caught up on all the Mistborn novels.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-02-27 12:03 AM (#12849 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Reminder: One more week until we record our episode discussing Shadows of Self! We'll publish it by 3/7. Big thanks to those who have written reviews already, and a call for anyone else who would like to be mentioned on the podcast to submit those reviews!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)