open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "HISTORY--Papa Hegel he say that all we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history. I know people who can't even learn from what happened this morning. Hegel must have been taking the long view." John Brunner, Stand on Zanzibar
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Series Information
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2007-11-30 11:10 PM (#1225)
Subject: Series Information

Admin

all,

(this topic came up in an author thread for Gene Wolfe but i did not want it to get lost so i figured i's start another thread here.)

we've added series information to the novel record to help folks get started on the right book in a series.  (i've been halfway through a couple books only to discover that i was in book 2 of a series.  that's really annoying.)

you can see the series info in most of the books by gene wolfe. it's in the info table at the top of the novel page under the publisher details. we'll be filling them in as we go along but it may take some time before we get that complete.

we'll add in some other functionality as time goes on to make it easier to get that info. maybe make the series name clickable to take you to a list of books in the series. something like the search results. we'll also need to link to the other books in any series that are not award nominated books and are not in our database. that will allow you to buy then from our amazon store at least.  another issue we hope to address is the bibliography info on the author pages.  perhaps we'll list the books by series instead of just chronologically.

check it out and if you've got any comments or suggestions please post them here.

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2007-12-03 1:23 PM (#1230 - in reply to #1225)
Subject: RE: Series Information

Uber User

As I've said before, I think this will be a great feature. I like the idea of including those in the series that are not award winners. I've read tons of SF books, but I haven't been able to tag many, just because they aren't here because of age or a lack of awards. This may help bring some of those in, though you haven't stated whether or not we would be able to tag those non-winning books.
Administrator
Posted 2007-12-04 10:01 AM (#1231 - in reply to #1230)
Subject: Re: Series Information

Admin

the next phase for WWEnd is to bring in ALL books by the authors in our database. once we do that, we'll have all books in the various series - award nominated or not.

in the mean time, we're going to try to get the series links in place to bring back a list of books in the series. those currently in the database will link to their respective novel details pages and those outside the db will link directly to our WWEnd Bookstore. you can at least get your hands on them more easily and that should hold us over until such time as we get them included into our data base.

any books in our data base will also be taggable. they won't show in the awards listings, of course, but we'll have other reports and search results where the highlighting will display. we're also working on some upgrades to the My World page that will display detailed stats of the books you tag. the stats will cover all activity on the site and will include any books in the db.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)